Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund if I cancel Amazon Prime?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Refund if I cancel Amazon Prime?

I had my Amazon Prime subscription auto-renew two months ago. Amazon billed my Discover and I got no special rewards. I now have an offer for 5k MRs for a year's subscription on my Platinum, but the offer expires several months before my scheduled renewal.

Would it be easy to get a refund on my Discover for the remaining 10 months of my current membership? Would there be anything preventing me from immediately rejoining, paying with Platinum?

Or is the $99 on Discover a sunk cost if I want to avoid an interruption of Prime membership for more than a few weeks?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Refund if I cancel Amazon Prime?

Amazon should be able to retroactively refund you (and if you havent used any Prime benefits it can be the whole $99). Just check on the prime membership page. If they don't, because of the monthly Prime version, contact them in a live chat. They tend to be very helpful and can probably do what you want. Just check the Platinum terms to make sure it isnt just for new subscribers.
Message 2 of 4
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

I canceled a membership back in 2015 I think a couple days after it renewed and an item was delievered. They prorated everything minus $5 or something for what would have been shipping cost on the item.

Message 3 of 4
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I have used the shipping feature.

One complicating factor is that I have a few video channel subscriptions linked to Prime (which my mother also uses), so cancelling it would mean having to re-enroll in them. So I wouldn't be the only one impacted if there was some lengthy interruption.

I may see if others use the offer in a similar way and have a smooth experience. The offer is good for about 6 months. Other people can be guinea pigs.

Does anyone know of a way to prepay Prime for the 8/2018-8/2019 period?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.