Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remembering Passwords!

tag
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: Remembering Passwords!

I store them in my safe and on my cell phone (password protected).
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 11 of 16
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

I store mine in word and in my brain. I also have lame passwords, secure PW's and VERY secure PWs. All depends on how secure I need the site.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 12 of 16
laz98
Senior Contributor

@MattH wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:
I put all mine in a word document and lock it to everyone but me.

The encryption of Word is not terribly high security and could be broken by somebody technical.  There are better encryption programs you should use instead.

so it stands to reason that the encryption of excel is not "terribly high security" either, right?

Message 13 of 16
laz98
Senior Contributor

@WannaHouse wrote:
I store mine in word and in my brain. I also have lame passwords, secure PW's and VERY secure PWs. All depends on how secure I need the site.

this is going to sound stupid, but i don't really know how to come up with very secure passwords.  they are too hard for me to remember, & there are so many of them that i have to remember, many of them with their own stupid rules (one capital letter, one number, one special character, written upside down in chinese...)

half the time i'm locking myself out of my accounts because i can't remember one of the rules!  Smiley Sad

Message 14 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I only do this at home, I would never do something like that at work.

I use my CAC card at work and for the individual passwords we do have to remember, I am constently getting them reset because I can't remember them.  One of them is 18 characters long, I can barely remember a 6 character password.

Passwords are supposed to be written to memory, not written down, or so I am told.

Message 15 of 16
MattH
Senior Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

@WannaHouse wrote:

this is going to sound stupid, but i don't really know how to come up with very secure passwords.  they are too hard for me to remember, & there are so many of them that i have to remember, many of them with their own stupid rules (one capital letter, one number, one special character, written upside down in chinese...)

half the time i'm locking myself out of my accounts because i can't remember one of the rules!  Smiley Sad

There is no rule for secure passwords, there are just a lot of ways to make up bad ones.  Here are a few starting points for thinking about this, but the main idea is to be as idiosycratic and bizarre as possible.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/01/choosing_secure.html

http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/13353

http://geodsoft.com/howto/password/

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.