cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFO Centurion Lounge : Re clear security?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SFO Centurion Lounge : Re clear security?

Is this the only amex lounge that requires you to reclear security to go through each terminal? So if the SFO centurion lounge is in Terminal 3, if youre departing or arriving from Terminal 1 or 2, you basically gotta exit your terminal and go through security to Terimal 3 to get to the lounge, exit, then reclear security again if you want to transfer back to T1 or 2, etc? 

That sounds painful. Anyone know if thats the only way to get around? I also hope this is the only airport that does this for the centurion lounge. I know in las vegas once you clear secuirty you can just walk throuhg all the terminals inside. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: SFO Centurion Lounge : Re clear security?

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this the only amex lounge that requires you to reclear security to go through each terminal? So if the SFO centurion lounge is in Terminal 3, if youre departing or arriving from Terminal 1 or 2, you basically gotta exit your terminal and go through security to Terimal 3 to get to the lounge, exit, then reclear security again if you want to transfer back to T1 or 2, etc? 

That sounds painful. Anyone know if thats the only way to get around? I also hope this is the only airport that does this for the centurion lounge. I know in las vegas once you clear secuirty you can just walk throuhg all the terminals inside. 

SFO has limited airside connectivity between terminals. I'm not sure how easy it is to access T3 airside from International Area G, but some sort of connection exists. There is no airside connection between T3 and T1/T2. So, yes, you'd have to go through security again...assuming security even permits you into T3 despite the fact you don't have a T3 boarding pass.

In other words, if you're flying domestic on American, Southwest, Delta, or Virgin America then you won't have access to Centurion (at least with only one trip through security). There is a nice Delta club in T1, though, when you're flying them. Free with Amex Platinum, $29 per guest.

If you're flying United domestically you will definitely have access to Centurion on most flights (which are in and out of T3) and possibly have access on all flights if getting from the part of I-G where United has some gates to T3 is easy, something I'm not sure about).

If you're flying another airline out of I-G you may possibly have Cent access. I don't know the layout and security setup of I-G very well.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I run into that issue with lounges not being connected airside with other terminals.  Actually, even here in Boston the Alaska and Virgin America gates aren't even accessible to the rest of Terminal C where there's a Priority Pass lounge.  The best suggestion I can give you is to get Global Entry or NEXUS (which both include TSA PreCheck) and try to make sure you are flying on an airline that does TSA PreCheck.  Yes you will have to enter security at each area, but it shouldn't really add much time.

ETA: wasCB14, no issues at SFO going to the lounge as long as you have a valid boarding pass for that day - if TSA even asks, just tell them you are going to the American Express lounge.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had to do it for exactly that lounge. Wasn't bad at all honestly, and that Centurion lounge is so much nicer than the Delta Sky clubs I've been in (which would have been my other option at the time).
Message 4 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I had to do it for exactly that lounge. Wasn't bad at all honestly, and that Centurion lounge is so much nicer than the Delta Sky clubs I've been in (which would have been my other option at the time).

SFO T1 Sky Club doesn't have the food and drink quality of Centurion, but if you're short on time, it's actually not bad. Lots of space, too.

Message 5 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

In SEA, the new Delta lounge is ten times better than the cramped AMEX Cent Studio, and right around the corner in the main terminal. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

While I've drunk wine there, I've not done the wine tasting. I know they track what a person has had as part of that.

Is that because there's a fee for it? Or the receipts are so minors don't drink? Or they just don't want adults getting sloshed?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.