Did you mean: 

Sams v Costco

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Sams v Costco

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

I have both memberships. Each serves a purpose for me, so I'll keep them.  As far as shopping, Costco ALWAYS has long lines and at least the Sams Clubs I frequent have self checkouts. 

Lexie your Costco does not have self check out lines? I was under the impression they all did these days, at least mine does and a few others i've visited. 

Nope, not any I've been to in So CA

Message 11 of 24
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

I have both memberships. Each serves a purpose for me, so I'll keep them.  As far as shopping, Costco ALWAYS has long lines and at least the Sams Clubs I frequent have self checkouts. 

Lexie your Costco does not have self check out lines? I was under the impression they all did these days, at least mine does and a few others i've visited. 

The one In Brooklyn NY, and Deer Park in Long Island, NY both don't have self checkout lines. 

I love costco but I don't like they only accept Amex and forced me to app for Amex cards lol. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 12 of 24
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

The one In Brooklyn NY, and Deer Park in Long Island, NY both don't have self checkout lines. 

I love costco but I don't like they only accept Amex and forced me to app for Amex cards lol. 

One in port chester,NY and Norwalk,ct also don't have self checkout. For all that I spend on at Costco I may have to apply for fidelity amex lol 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 13 of 24
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

You will be thanking them for locking in your MSD down the road though! Smiley Tongue

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 14 of 24
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@bdhu2001 wrote:

I choose Costco:

1. Value: when I buy stuff at Costco I find good quality products.  Doesn't fall apart, taste bad, rot quickly.
  2. Exchange policy.  I love not having to worry, even if it's rarely used (2 returns in 11 years).
  3. Quicker lines, including self check out.  When I went to Sam's club they seemed to try to keep as few lines as possible & had the Walmart feel of cheap not inexpensive good value for money.  For instance I bought a workout outfit & the bottom of the top ended up being unfinished. 
  4. Knowlege of the way Sam's club treats their employees and the fact that I'm subsidig their profit with my tax $s, because they don't pay living wages was the last straw.  a) I don't find good value. b) they're greedy & don't provide good service (i.e most lines closed) c)Double dipping: using Food Banks and my tax $ to supplement employee's wages when they make billions per year.

Well in all fairness to point #4, the average Sam's Club employee generates far less revenue than one of Costco's employees so it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison.  I've also never waited in line for more than 5 minutes at Sam's Club.

I guess it's all personal preference and experience.  Sam's is 10 minutes from my house, Costco is 25 minutes.  Costco always has traffic backed out into the street, Sam's doesn't.

Message 15 of 24
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@bdhu2001 wrote:

I choose Costco:

1. Value: when I buy stuff at Costco I find good quality products.  Doesn't fall apart, taste bad, rot quickly.
  2. Exchange policy.  I love not having to worry, even if it's rarely used (2 returns in 11 years).
  3. Quicker lines, including self check out.  When I went to Sam's club they seemed to try to keep as few lines as possible & had the Walmart feel of cheap not inexpensive good value for money.  For instance I bought a workout outfit & the bottom of the top ended up being unfinished. 
  4. Knowlege of the way Sam's club treats their employees and the fact that I'm subsidig their profit with my tax $s, because they don't pay living wages was the last straw.  a) I don't find good value. b) they're greedy & don't provide good service (i.e most lines closed) c)Double dipping: using Food Banks and my tax $ to supplement employee's wages when they make billions per year.

Well in all fairness to point #4, the average Sam's Club employee generates far less revenue than one of Costco's employees so it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison.  I've also never waited in line for more than 5 minutes at Sam's Club.

I guess it's all personal preference and experience.  Sam's is 10 minutes from my house, Costco is 25 minutes.  Costco always has traffic backed out into the street, Sam's doesn't.

Do you know this to be the case that Sam's Club generates less?  Both companies profit margin doesn't indicate this.  Do you have data or a link that supports this statement or is it a supposition?  There are other stores that generate far less profit that still pay their employees a living wage.  Data indicates that if Walmart and Sam's Club paid more, their profit would go up.  Because most of their employees shop there and would actually buy more items.  In addition, the $s that they spend else where also circulate and make it back to their store.  Greed is greed.  It's not based on need.  Sam's Club can get away with it so they do. 

You can't rationalize greed.  It's like the tricle down economics theory which has been proven to be false. Greed has people still saying that if you give the "job creators" more money they will create more jobs.  This would be fine if you gave money to the true "Job creators" consumers. Based on economics, consumers or average to low wage earners spend more money when they get more money.  Middle to high income earners, save more money when they get more money.  

Therefore, give more money to low wage earners, increases demand, thereby, increasing jobs. Hording does not increase demand, nor does it create jobs. Giving Walmart and Sam's Club employees a livable wage will create jobs and cost the average Walmart shopper less the 20cents more per shopping trip (if Walmart passes the total cost to the consumer). Again greed defies logic & It's the Economics major rearing up in me that makes me shake my head. On the other hand, it's also the economics major in me that decides that Sam's Club won't dip into my pocket twice: once at the register & second time through my taxes.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 24
Stralem
Established Contributor

@bdhu2001 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@bdhu2001 wrote:

I choose Costco:

Do you know this to be the case that Sam's Club generates less?  Both companies profit margin doesn't indicate this.  Do you have data or a link that supports this statement or is it a supposition?  There are other stores that generate far less profit that still pay their employees a living wage.  Data indicates that if Walmart and Sam's Club paid more, their profit would go up.  Because most of their employees shop there and would actually buy more items.  In addition, the $s that they spend else where also circulate and make it back to their store.  Greed is greed.  It's not based on need.  Sam's Club can get away with it so they do. 

You can't rationalize greed.  It's like the tricle down economics theory which has been proven to be false. Greed has people still saying that if you give the "job creators" more money they will create more jobs.  This would be fine if you gave money to the true "Job creators" consumers. Based on economics, consumers or average to low wage earners spend more money when they get more money.  Middle to high income earners, save more money when they get more money.  

Therefore, give more money to low wage earners, increases demand, thereby, increasing jobs. Hording does not increase demand, nor does it create jobs. Giving Walmart and Sam's Club employees a livable wage will create jobs and cost the average Walmart shopper less the 20cents more per shopping trip (if Walmart passes the total cost to the consumer). Again greed defies logic & It's the Economics major rearing up in me that makes me shake my head. On the other hand, it's also the economics major in me that decides that Sam's Club won't dip into my pocket twice: once at the register & second time through my taxes.

Just about sums up the number one reason I avoid shopping at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club if I can help it.

It's a sleazy company all around.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 17 of 24
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2013-08-27/why-walmart-will-never-pay-like-costco
@bdhu2001 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@bdhu2001 wrote:

I choose Costco:

bloombergview

So what defines greed?  $1 profit or $10 billion profit?  Nobody is forcing anyone to work at Walmart or Sam's. Why is it our duty to decide what constitutes a living wage to folks who are free to pursue other career options.  

Message 18 of 24
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2013-08-27/why-walmart-will-never-pay-like-costco
@bdhu2001 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@bdhu2001 wrote:

I choose Costco:

bloombergview

So what defines greed?  $1 profit or $10 billion profit?  Nobody is forcing anyone to work at Walmart or Sam's. Why is it our duty to decide what constitutes a living wage to folks who are free to pursue other career options.  

It's not your duty. No one says it's your duty.  I simply state why I won't shop there or give Walmart & Sam's the opportunity to double dip in my pocket.  Right now corporations are doing everything possible to change this into a feudal society where everyone works for the lowest wages possible. In this way, there's no competition for people to work for someone else, because everyone pays the same.  Saying no one forces people to work at Walmart is the same as saying no one forces people to breath air.  

People need jobs and funds to survive. When kids and other people's fingers were being cut off due to poor safety practices in factories, no one forced them to work in the factories either.  As an economist, I keep watching this country and remember the adage "And then they came for me, but no one was left and no one was left to speak for me."  They started by dividing us into being upset with welfare recipents.  Next they outsourced jobs 100,000s, but we were getting cheaper products. Those jobs added up so our economy began to falter, because the people laid off could no longer afford items. Then it was government workers fault, then teachers faults, then the Union's fault, now it's low income workers and the unemployed people's fault.

It's the chip, chip, chip away system. Next it'll be that the aged are living too long and creating a burden, then kids are not productive and are a drain (they need to work in tabaco farms).  Okay, these aren't next, it's already happening.  My point is you decide when it's your time to speak up and stand.  Hopefully, before they come for you & yours.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 24
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@bdhu2001 wrote:

@B335is wrote:
@bdhu2001 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@bdhu2001 wrote:

I choose Costco:

bloombergview

It's not your duty. No one says it's your duty.  I simply state why I won't shop there or give Walmart & Sam's the opportunity to double dip in my pocket.  Right now corporations are doing everything possible to change this into a feudal society where everyone works for the lowest wages possible. In this way, there's no competition for people to work for someone else, because everyone pays the same.  Saying no one forces people to work at Walmart is the same as saying no one forces people to breath air.  

People need jobs and funds to survive. When kids and other people's fingers were being cut off due to poor safety practices in factories, no one forced them to work in the factories either.  As an economist, I keep watching this country and remember the adage "And then they came for me, but no one was left and no one was left to speak for me."  They started by dividing us into being upset with welfare recipents.  Next they outsourced jobs 100,000s, but we were getting cheaper products. Those jobs added up so our economy began to falter, because the people laid off could no longer afford items. Then it was government workers fault, then teachers faults, then the Union's fault, now it's low income workers and the unemployed people's fault.

It's the chip, chip, chip away system. Next it'll be that the aged are living too long and creating a burden, then kids are not productive and are a drain (they need to work in tabaco farms).  Okay, these aren't next, it's already happening.  My point is you decide when it's your time to speak up and stand.  Hopefully, before they come for you & yours.

That's why they created unions but with corporation lobbyist's and a corrupt govt we see where peoples rights went with union breaking and lax import taxes. But who do we want to punish by working from the bottom up. The ones who least can afford It.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.