tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Sapphire Reserve is solid metal

@longtimelurker wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Irish80 don't rain on others parades.
A bird poops on a sports car the same way it does on a Chevy or honda.
Sitting in a Ruth's Chris I was next to a table where a guy had the centurion card and no one batted an eye. But when I gave my Ritz not only did the waiter say out loud WOW what kind of card is this, but it was loud enough for the table behind me to look.
I knew that had to pass off the guy with millions to have to look at a guy like me getting all the attention.

<--This

When folks start with rebuilding or establishing credit.. It might be petty but.. Presenting and using something like a First Progress or other subprime card makes you feel just a little self-conscience inside... Yes it may only be a self-imposed feel good. but going from slime to Prime... and even higher tier cards.. from the trenches.. does make one feel a sense of accomplishment.. Whats important for these folks may not be relavent to you... but offer an umbrella or dont rain on their parade.. Contrast this to carrying something thats perhaps wrongfully coveted but from where they started.. they have come a long way...

-J

OK, but from my point of view, going for an expensive card JUST because it is metal (and for some that does seem the major reason!) is really in the same class of credit card mistake as whatever caused the need for rebuilding in the first place: not understanding how to evaluate credit.

Now of course people are entitled to say "For me, it IS worth $400 to have a metal credit card" but I don't have to agree that this is at all a sensible approach.

I would agree. If anything the "OMG this is heavy!" comments would annoy me and get old quickly.

I take my card out, swipe it, and put it away. It's just a payment method. I don't tend to spend time gawking at it or caring what it looks like or is made out of. The benefits are what matter.

To each their own but I'd never pay $400 just to have a metal CC.

Message 21 of 46
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Sitting in a Ruth's Chris I was next to a table where a guy had the centurion card and no one batted an eye. But when I gave my Ritz not only did the waiter say out loud WOW what kind of card is this, but it was loud enough for the table behind me to look.
I knew that had to pass off the guy with millions to have to look at a guy like me getting all the attention.

Right...

Irish, your post made me giggle because I had the exact same thought.  Until I got to the forums here, I never gave a thought to what a card looked or felt like (and to be honest., I still don't).  As long I swipe that bad boy and my purchase is approved, I'm happy.  I'm not ashamed to say that I swipe my regular old ordinary Sam's Club MasterCard with pride!  Smiley LOL

Message 22 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joltdude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

<--This

When folks start with rebuilding or establishing credit.. It might be petty but.. Presenting and using something like a First Progress or other subprime card makes you feel just a little self-conscience inside... Yes it may only be a self-imposed feel good. but going from slime to Prime... and even higher tier cards.. from the trenches.. does make one feel a sense of accomplishment.. Whats important for these folks may not be relavent to you... but offer an umbrella or dont rain on their parade.. Contrast this to carrying something thats perhaps wrongfully coveted but from where they started.. they have come a long way...

-J

It's fine to feel good that you have progressed in your credit build and can get good cards.  For that I congratulate you.  My issue is this over focus to the point of people of obsessing over a metal card and somehow think that shows off your accomplishments.  It doesn't and I see too many people that appear to want this and cards like the Ritz solely because it's a metal card.  When you compare a metal card to the things you did in your first post I can't help but think that you are greatly over stating the importance of a metal card.  Had you just said I like a metal card because it's unique then I wouldn't have responded but you went way beyond that.

I can guarantee you that in the coming weeks we will see posts from people that applied for this card when they shouldn't have because they don't travel and will be asking 'what do I do with UR points'. When people apply for a card based on what it is made of and not the terms and benefits they are making a huge mistake.  And if you don't think that happens here then I don't know what to say.  

Anyways if having a metal card makes you happy then that's what matters and enjoy it.

Message 23 of 46
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

<--This

-J

OK, but from my point of view, going for an expensive card JUST because it is metal (and for some that does seem the major reason!) is really in the same class of credit card mistake as whatever caused the need for rebuilding in the first place: not understanding how to evaluate credit.

Now of course people are entitled to say "For me, it IS worth $400 to have a metal credit card" but I don't have to agree that this is at all a sensible approach.

Im making the assumption that by the time folks are eligible to apply for this they are seeking rewards and perks.. and have learned to weigh in on this... If you can make back or get use out of what makes the AF... thats value .... Not just the card for the cards sake... but they want to get the value out of it, just like the knowledgable folks.. When you start to get into prime territory,  it really changes your mindset.... I dont have to settle for .... this.... Free stays and such.. esp when traveling.. can work out... its going from spending money to have a card to saving money with the right card, or getting something in return for what your already spending anyhow.  ITs true some people are going to make the mistake of applying for it when its doesn't have much value for them. but is it really no different than paying for a subprime card .. in the end... they will learn that it wasnt such a good idea when the AF hits and they are like.. Uhm.. what did i get out of this... and decide to cancel the card (or not).. 

Message 24 of 46
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I also agree with Irish that a metal card doesn't really mean you've accomplished more than anyone else. You can get approved for other CCs and it's unclear that the metal cards have much higher underwriting standards, so what have you "accomplished" relative to a peer who has a Freedom card?

Message 25 of 46
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@joltdude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

<--This

-J

Do you really think that the average consumers knows or even cares what lender your card is from?  Again, until I got here I never knew half these lenders even existed.  I doubt that if I were at a fancy restaurant would my waiter care if I paid with a Credit One Bank card.  I'm guessing the only thing they'd really care about is if my purchased was approved (because gratuity would probably be added automatically). 

Message 26 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit cards are, and have always been, a consumer product from which we derive value (real or perceived).

If you value having a metal card, more power to you, though I think that's kind of misguided.

Me, I value not having paid for airfare for the past two and a half years. Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I might have been taken out of context.
I stay at marriott properties so the Ritz with platinum status that I have works great. I get 3 club levels at ritz for my family vacations so I don't have to waste money on food and drinks while I'm at the beach.
I have debated on weather to ask for the plastic version but since it's not my everyday card I do use it to get attention when I WANT it.
Would I get a card just because it's metal NO.
From where I came from with no credit to having a ritz with 37k and a citi prestige with 35k limits I think it is a thing I can be proud of,along with my 790 to 810 credit score.
Message 28 of 46
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@joltdude wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

<--This

-J

Im making the assumption that by the time folks are eligible to apply for this they are seeking rewards and perks.. and have learned to weigh in on this... If you can make back or get use out of what makes the AF... thats value .... Not just the card for the cards sake... but they want to get the value out of it, just like the knowledgable folks.. When you start to get into prime territory,  it really changes your mindset.... I dont have to settle for .... this.... Free stays and such.. esp when traveling.. can work out... its going from spending money to have a card to saving money with the right card, or getting something in return for what your already spending anyhow.  ITs true some people are going to make the mistake of applying for it when its doesn't have much value for them. but is it really no different than paying for a subprime card .. in the end... they will learn that it wasnt such a good idea when the AF hits and they are like.. Uhm.. what did i get out of this... and decide to cancel the card (or not).. 

I don't exactly agree with this.  I'm guessing...but I'd venture to say that most of us who have or had cards such as First Premier or Credit One Bank didn't take these cards because we were foolish and didn't know we were paying an annual fee for a card that offered little to no value.  We accepted those card because they were probably, at the time, the only lenders who would extend even the slightest amount of somewhat unsecured credit.  In my opinion, that's very different than knowingly applying for a card that will have little to no value to use simply because of the material used to produce it. 

Message 29 of 46
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

my my my...

Some folks have NOT had there java this morning!!

Everybody makes choices in life. Who are we to rain on anybody's parade? No need to be aggressive folks. Would I get a metal card with a +$400 af? No way.

But that doesn't mean there's plenty of folks out there that would "PERCEIVE" value from having such a card. Ultimately, it comes down to "PERCEPTION" of value!

Some like chasing rewards, others like churning cards, others keep a plain Jane card for 20+ years, some keep First Premiere around for 5+ years! Why? 

Because they "PERCEIVE" value! My values are different than your values. Different strokes for Different Folks!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.