Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Savings accounts are a joke...

tag
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

Savings accounts are a joke...

My oldest daughter (17) is very in tune with her money and we go over her accounts once every pay day (every other Friday)...at her request.  She has nearly $1400 in savings and last month got a whopping .05 in interest.  This month she only got .01 which happens to be the going rate for interest for savings at this particular bank. Are we going to have to pay banks to keep our money in the future?  She also has 2 CDs with nearly 7k & 3.5k in them that she's freaking out about.  Funny how she's so concerned with her money but thinks she can spend ours without guilt.

What's the point of having the money in the bank?  Why not stuff it in a mattress?  It's probably safer there?

Do you think the interest rates will go back up?  They are really awful right now!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
ImprovingYouth
Regular Contributor

Re: Savings accounts are a joke...

Savings rates are being held at close to nothing due to the monetary policies that the Feds are trying to promote. In order to increase spending and the economy as a whole the Feds are trying to get you and all Americans to use there money and NOT save. There should be an upside to this, as all lending rates should be at historic lows and money should be easily obtainable because banks essentially have an unlimited supply of close to free money. However due to the credit crunch in recent years, banks have clamped down on lending and made it inaccessable to many Americans.

Basically, the rates are all great for borrowing money but will be horrible for lenders (in this case that include you as you are lending the bank your money for close to nothing)  for a long long time. Basically until the entire US economy improves drastically.

Age: 22 //Cards: Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Visa, Discover IT, CreditOne, CapOne Quicksilver, CapOne Cash, Walmart, Barclaycard, Citibank BestBuy, NavyFederal Visa Signature cashRewards //AAoA: 1 Year 3 Months (but going down quickly Smiley Tongue) //CK:692, Sesame:656
Message 2 of 16
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@fuzzybean wrote:

What's the point of having the money in the bank?  Why not stuff it in a mattress?  It's probably safer there?

I keep my money under my mattress, right next to my 357. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 3 of 16
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I'm earning 0.94% on my money market right now (which is entirely free by the way) and with what I have in there right now (which isn't a whole lot) i'm earning around $50 bucks a year in interest. 

I do my money market with ally, but I do all my checking accounts through banks with branches (I have chase and wells fargo mainly). 

Message 4 of 16
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

@fuzzybean wrote:

I keep my money under my mattress, right next to my 357. 

Love it!

Message 5 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

You put money at online banking. That will get you around 0.8% interest rate, which is much better than 0.05% you seen across major banks.

As for why do one need savings account, it is because savings account is liquidable. Sure you can invest those money into stocks, social lending, etc that offers much higher return, but you won't be able to cash them out immediately if find yourselves in an emergency.

As a note, interest rate will stay the same until late 2014. Federal Reserve won't increase interest rate until then.

Message 6 of 16
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

You put money at online banking. That will get you around 0.8% interest rate, which is much better than 0.05% you seen across major banks.

As for why do one need savings account, it is because savings account is liquidable. Sure you can invest those money into stocks, social lending, etc that offers much higher return, but you won't be able to cash them out immediately if find yourselves in an emergency.

As a note, interest rate will stay the same until late 2014. Federal Reserve won't increase interest rate until then.

I know all the reasons and I'm fine should an emergency arise, I was just venting.

Message 7 of 16
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

I earn between 1-5% cash back on two of my cards and points on a couple of others.  Isn't that BETTER than a savings account at 0.5%  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 8 of 16
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

Difinitely!

Message 9 of 16
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

You also have to love the federal rule that went into effect this year wherein you cannot have more than 6 withdrawals per month of YOUR savings or you will be charged a fee from your bank.  WTH is with that?  It is my money and I should be able to move it to and from my savings as I want without the Feds telling my bank they have to charge me a fee.  Not that I move money out of my savings more than 6 times a month, but it is the principle of it.  

I actually closed my savings and opened a second checking account (no monthly charges), and while I may not earn my few pennies a month, at least I can withdraw money as I want without penalty.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.