Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Savings

tag
SSH0126
Established Contributor

Savings

Opinions: 

I have about 400-500/ monthly that I can save. Should I put it in a 401k thru a credit union or roth ira . Little background info. 

I am 29 almost 30..no current 401k and not working presently either and do not know when I will be working again. So I will miss out on an employer's match( free money)...I am researching now but am having a tough time making a choice. 

PLease list where you think I should put it  and why 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Savings

I don't think that you can do a 401K pre-tax without earned income. But in any case at your age a Roth IRA makes a lot more sense for a variety of reasons. It allows the money to grow without tax consequences so all of your future withdrawals including gains are tax free. And in the event that you need to withdraw any portion of it in the future before retirement age you can always access that portion which was your contributions without tax consequences. A hardship withdrawal from a 401K will trigger your standard tax rate plus a 10% penalty under the current tax code.

Obviously none of us can guarantee what the tax code will be in the future so you simply have to work with what's available now. As to where to put the money I would do a lot of reading on investments and / or talk to someone with a lot of experience whom you trust (parent / friend etc.) or you could find a fee only financial adviser and get some advice. Be wary of commissioned brokers and financial advisors as they do not always have your best interest at heart but are looking at their best commission opportunity. I'm not suggesting they are all bad people but you are taking your chances in choosing one at random.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 5
SSH0126
Established Contributor

Thanks so much for the advice. Now you stated " you could find a fee only financial adviser and get some advice. Be wary of commissioned brokers and financial advisors are you speaking of financial advisors that are not fee only? 

I was thinking on asking my uncle as well. 

Message 3 of 5
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Since you are not "working",  building up savings in an account that you can access if you need to is a wiser choice.  It can help balance out cash flow and is an asset you can list if you need to show your financial situation.  

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 4 of 5
FrugalRican
Blogger

If you have absolutely no savings, I'd much rather build up something that is a lot more liquid, just in case.

Although it does seem that you are "blessed" in that you are saving up a lot more than you are spending.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.