Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing was not quite believing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seeing was not quite believing

While traveling over the weekend, I lost my glasses... crud! Nobody, at the hotel, turned them in, so when I got back in town yesterday, I had to go purchase new ones.

I decided upon a national chain that offers glasses in an hour (the timing was very compelling, because the only other prescription glasses that I had were my sunglasses, which aren't helpful for night driving while I waited the customary 7 to 14 days with other retailers). I made the appointment, and went in. Which is pretty much where things started to go south...

The sales woman meets with you before you get your eye exam. She asked what type of glasses that I like, and if I'd be purchasing contacts. I responded that I don't know what type of styles I like (I've only been wearing glasses for a few years)-- I'll know them when I see them, and that I don't wear contacts at all. She said, "Well, we'll have to change that. I don't let anyone walk out of here without contacts. And, I need an idea of what style you're looking for before you see the doctor." Huh? No, I don't wear contacts, thus I wouldn't be purchasing any, and I don't have an agenda with regard to style. I'll look, and let ya know! She got in such a huff!

We headed back to the exam room where she handed me an empty manilla folder and asked me to sign it & date it, next to the word "recieved". I asked what I was signing and dating given that the folder was empty. She said, "Oh, you can just sign it. Everyone does." Ummmm... it's an empty folder. What am I signing and dating? She responded that it was to acknowledge that I received the HIPAA form. I said, "Where's the form?" She said, "You can just sign it. Everyone does." Sorry, I'm not signing that I've recieved something that I haven't. She slammed down the folder and said "Fine, don't sign it then!" Smiley Surprised Alrighty... I won't sign it. So, we did the eye scan, and the eye pressure test thingy, and then I waited for the doctor.

The doctor was great-- no problems there. My vision has actually improved over the last 18 months! Yay!

So, back out to the "show room" with angry woman. When I got back to her station, she'd picked out 7 pairs of glasses that she thought I might enjoy. I carefully looked at them all, and told her that I wasn't sold on any of them, and that I'd like to look at the selection (they had lots!) for myself. She actually seemed to get mad at this, and said, "Well, I'm kind of busy and I don't have all day." I politely said, "that's fine, why don't you help another customer while I look? (As far as I could tell, there were only three other customers in the store, and they were all being helped. Go figure.)I'll let you know when I find something that I like." She said, "Fine. Just try to stay over in that area (indicating the higher end glasses on the wall, and the designer glasses in a locked display)." Yeah... right.

So, I started looking at the inexpensive end, LOL! She immediately ran over, and said, "No, not here... over there." I asked if the glasses that I was looking at were not for sale...? She huffed again, and said that *she* doesn't like to bother with those. I informed her, politely, that I would look at them all, and let her know when I decided. I found three pairs that I liked, one inexpensive, one mid-range, and one designer. I brought them back to her (empty) station where the mirror was, and started to try them on. When I got to the inexpensive pair, she immediately (before I could get them on my face) said that they were "ugly" on me. So, I said, "I like ugly glasses." Smiley Wink I actually picked the midrange glasses (metal, light weight, the right amount of eye coverage, no "bling", etc...).  She insisted that they weren't "right" for me, and that I didn't look "right" in them. I said, "I'll take'em." Smiley Very Happy

We talked a bit about lense finishes, and warranties. I declined the anti-glare, transition lense option, warranty, matching sunglasses for 50%, and the warranty. She rang the purchase up, and it was more than double what I expected... I asked her to show me the itemized bill. She said I'd get it AFTER I paid. Okay, I don't think so girlfriend. I told her that I wouldn't be paying without the itemized bill. She gave it to me, and I was paying for the eye exam at a different rate than what was quoted to me for the exact services that I got (and had an advertisement for), the frames, contact lenses, anti-glare on the lenses that I purchased, sunglasses that I did not purchase, the warranty, and a $10 donation to some charity that I saw an advertisement for on her desk (she never mentioned it, it was just sitting there). Smiley Indifferent

<Deep Healing Breath>  I explained, again, that I was not purchasing sunglasses or contacts, that we did not discuss any charitable donations, that I declined both the anti-glare options, and the warranty, and that the price for the eye exam was well over and above what they advertised and what I was quoted. Her response was, "I'm giving your 30% off so it won't be so expensive!" No, it will be less expensive, because I'm going to get the quoted price for the eye exam, and I'm only purchasing the lenses and frames that I requested. Period! She said, "Fine, but I'm adding the warranty." I said, "No. You're not. And, I'd like to speak to the Manager." She said, "What are you going to do without a warranty if they get scratched?" I said, "I am not purchasing your warranty. I'd like to speak to a Manager."  Fortunately, the store manager was walking to the register at that moment, and intervened. She rang up my purchase (correct price for the eye exam, and only the frames & lenses that I requested, with a 40% off discount that they were offering for the frames and lenses (with the purchase of those frames).  The Manager asked about the warranty, which was $59 to extend the mfg warranty for 6 months (making a full 12 months). I explained that Amex would double the mfg warranty for free, which is why I wasn't purchasing the warranty. The purchase was made, and off I went.

When I came back in an hour to pick up my glasses, the angry lady refused to help me. Another sales person eagerly helped, and then asked me to fill-out a survey on her perforance. The angry lady tried to tell her that she couldn't give me the survey, because she hadn't initially helped me. But, the Manager walked right up behind her, and asked me if I wanted to fill out surveys on both sales people. Much to the chagrin of the angry woman, I politely accepted her offer. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Seeing was not quite believing

Wow. I wonder sometimes how people like her keep a job with that kind of attitude.

But you have more patience than I do. My visit there would have ended with the empty envelope episode.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Wow....Way to be Cool Hand Luke (or Lukette).

Message 3 of 9
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

LilMirth, you are the poster child for keeping your cool.

I couldn't have handled that pushy idiot the way you did, I would have lost it for sure.  But I'll definitely try to learn from your example. 

Sadly, I feel that this woman probably gets away with her tactics most of the time.  

Message 4 of 9
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

I've actually heard very good things about buying glasses online. The prices are lower than most mall retail type stores by leaps and bounds. You can even upload your picture and see how the frames look on you. Of course you won't get them in an hour, but if you know ahead of time you'll need new glasses soon it's something to consider.

Message 5 of 9
BoSox617
Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:

I've actually heard very good things about buying glasses online. The prices are lower than most mall retail type stores by leaps and bounds. You can even upload your picture and see how the frames look on you. Of course you won't get them in an hour, but if you know ahead of time you'll need new glasses soon it's something to consider.

When you buy glasses online you sacrifice quite a lot - proper fit and adjustment of the frame, measurement and pupilary distance, etc.  In addition you miss out on receiving complete information on the types of lens and treatments that might best suit your needs.  I have actually seen folks bring a number of glasses purchased online, only to complain about them and buy another set from a brick and mortar shop.  I don't work in optical but my fiance does - and I've actually studied for several certification exams with him (I may take them now for grins and giggles).  I was amazed to see just how much is involved in making glasses, lenses, the whole bit.  It's pretty nifty stuff Smiley Happy

Online might be the most economical way to go for basic reading glasses (heck, you can get those in most pharmacies).  But anything more advanced, you may be better off working with a qualified optician and optometrist (not the asshat that LilMirth had to deal with!).

Message 6 of 9
laz98
Senior Contributor

wow, you are the epitome of patience!  i would have totally beat that woman down.  geez!  it really IS a wonder that people like that still have jobs.

Message 7 of 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Afterreading your post I did a quick internet search because it sound like one company. I was correct.  A company whom my family did busines with once and that was enough. I will never use them at all.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I could say that my remaining calm & collected in that situation was due to some inherant Zen, or even maturity..., but no, LOL! It was sheer desperation to obtain those glasses. It took every fiber of my being to stop my head from spinning counter-clockwise, telling her off, making her cry, and then storming off to take my business elsewhere. But, as I said... I really needed those glasses. Smiley Very Happy

As an update, I have procured a most sincere apology from the salesperson. I'm certain that a little encouragement from her management (due to the my complaints Customer Service, and the Store Manager) put her in the right mood.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.