Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling My Parents Home - Medicare & Medicaid

tag
kisbel65
New Contributor

Selling My Parents Home - Medicare & Medicaid

I don't know if anyone on here can help me, but I thought I give it a try. My mother wants to sell her condo in South Florida and she is concerned that she will be penalized by Medicaid. Does anyone have any idea if this is true? Will she loose her Medicaid benefits?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

Re: Selling My Parents Home - Medicare & Medicaid

I dont know but I have always heard that the medi/stuff relied on assets and the money you have.  Might want to check the official site and or google and try to find what information you can. 

I am sure there are ways to loophole out of it.

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 2 of 4
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I believe the only answer I would trust would be a lawyer.  Once the home is sold the assets won't be protected as the home was for personal habitation. The money would be considered for medicaid and her ability to pay. Like I said ask a lawyer for the best route to go.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 4
fezwhy
Regular Contributor

I have heard that also. I know someone that transferred the deed into their kids name. Then they later sold it. But a consultation with a lawyer is your best bet. The laws differ by state.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.