Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Do It??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Do It??

Hello everyone!

It's been a while!! I know there are plenty-O knowledgeable folks on here, so I came for some advice:

I purchased a home a little over a year ago (love it). It's an 80+ year old Bungalow with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath and a huge (unfinished) attic. I purchased the home with the intention of finishing the attic as a 3rd/Master Bedroom. So now that we have settled in, we definitely need more space so I would like to have the attic finished. I want to have it finished nicely, with a half bath and a couple of skylights. I had one estimate done and the guy told me that I'm looking at at least $30,000!! First off, does this sound really high for a 700 square foot attic?

I plan to pay off my car and credit card by the end of this year/early next year, which would free up some cash for payments on a loan. But, I'm not sure if I should do this or not. My job is very secure, but there are a lot of foreclosures in my neighborhood, so I just don't know where the town is headed 5 years from now. On the other hand, we really need the extra space, and there's a giant attic ready and waiting to be finished and I'm thinking, as long as I can afford the payments, why not just do it? What are your thoughts on this? Would it be insane to put that much money into this house with me not knowing what will happen within the next 5 years?

Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Should I Do It??

One option would be to pay a professional appraiser to appraise your house in its current state and then give an estimate of its appraised value with the modifications. Then look around at comparables with the extra space and see what they're going for, and decide if you're in danger of overbuilding.

Do you expect to stay in this house for the rest of your lives? That affects how much you should put into it.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 16
IOBA
Senior Contributor

What state do you live in?

Have you gotten other estimates?

I have used ServiceMagic.com for referrals.   

Message 3 of 16
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

This probably isn't a direct answer to what you are seeking to know, but a few general basic things to think about before you make the decision.

1: Other homes foreclosing "usually" has no impact on your homes value. 

2: Do you plan to stay in your home long term (10 years plus)?

3: Did you buy your home at below fair market cost, where investing 30K would not turn you upside on the homes value?

4: Did you get more then 1 estimate to perform the work?

Things I would base my decision on;

1: How badly do I need the space?

2: Can I afford at the present time to finish or add additional space?

3: Know that making this investment may or may not increase the value of my home.

4: Am I okay with knowing that investing 30k in my home, that I may not recover this money when I plan to sell the home?

5: Get at least 3 estimates.

6: Research each contractor thoroughly.

7: Read the fine print.

8: Make sure you know all the possibilities in advance for extra expenses or cost of problems or issues that may occur in advance.

9: Can I perform some of the work myself and save a few dollars without risking the quality of work performed?

10: Discuss all options with my better half and make sure you are both in agreement on EVERYTHING. 

A decision if you should do it or not do it, is all a personal decision on many different factors. The estimate of 30K may sound like a lot to some and then sound like a little to others. Keep in mind adding a bathroom to a house just being built usually has the cost of 5k-25k depending on fixtures, plumbing, tile, etc... Roof work to add skylights can range anywhere from 1k-12k depending on how much roofing work and cutting has to be involved, the pitch of roof, etc... Then keep in mind, walls that need to be put up to separate the different rooms  the bathroom, closets, etc... Floors that need to be finished tiled, carpet, hardwood. etc... Electrical that has to be installed for lighting, switches, outlets, etc... Ceiling work that may have to be done to give it a finished look. Any trim work that you would want done. Don't forget any permits, and inspections that must be purchased to perform all work involved and make sure everything is performed by building code and pass all safety codes (make sure you save all inspections showing passed building codes and safety codes, you will more then likely need them if you ever sell your home). This isn't a fool proof list of all that is involved but a general idea of all the different types of work involved. One other thing to keep in mind is that since this is an attic, their is the possibility of walls and ceilings and floors on lower floors that may need to be repaired and or replaced in performing this project.

Another thing to keep in mind is a small room of 700 square feet or less will cost more per square foot to finish. The bathroom is the most expensive room to finish per square foot, and the cost must be spread over the entire square footage cost. So the smaller the room the higher the square foot cost. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ Hauling, That is a great suggestion. I will definitely look into that. Thanks!

Even if I don't physically stay in the house, I plan on keeping it for a long time ie. Renting it out.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IOBA wrote:

What state do you live in?

Have you gotten other estimates?

I have used ServiceMagic.com for referrals.   

I live in NJ. I haven't gotten any other estimates yet, but I will. I will take a look at that site. Thanks!

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ JM-AM, that is all BEYOND helpful...you have no idea, Thank You!! This is such a big decision and I know there are a lot of things that I need to think about and take into consideration and your feedback really helps with that. Thanks again!!

Message 7 of 16
IOBA
Senior Contributor

IF you decide to do the project, here are a few suggestions...

-- check with your state licensing board to make sure that they are CURRENTLY licensed and in good standing.

-- check BBB to find out if any complaints have been filed against the person/company in your county.

-- get a street address for the person/company.

-- get a copy of their insurance/bond -- then call the agent to verify it's current.

-- specify in your contract who is providing what (for example, who buys the vanity and toilet for the bathroom)?

-- specify in the contract that the person/company gets all permits needed for the project.

-- break out payments into 3-4, with no more than 35% down as "deposit".  Tie the final payment to language that says the person/contractor successfully passed the final inspection and you both have signed off on a Final Lien Waiver.

-- every time you give money to your person/company, other than the deposit, have them sign and have notarized a "Lien Waiver Release".

Message 8 of 16
demi
Established Contributor

A couple more suggestions:

Is the addition historically compatible with the existing house?  Are you in a historical neighborhood?  I would imagine that that would (if it hasn't) eventually add value.  I don't mean inside features, claw foot bath tubs, etc...but compatible architecturally?

Do you have a breakdown of the estimate...that old I am wondering if there are some hazardous materials (which might be adding to the cost).  If there are not, could you do some of the demo to save on costs?

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 16
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.