Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I ditch time warner cable?

Cut the cord

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Drop the cable and increase the speed of your internet. Then add Netflix or one of the others. They each will give you one month free. 

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do pretty much the same with my Comcast cable / Internet bill.

I dont have a contract and I call the 'retention department' and tell them my bill is too high and I will have to leave if they cant help me lower it.  They always give me a price reduction for 12 months that is close to what the teaser rate for a new customer would be. 

About the Internet Speed and the wifi router - 

I also have excellent Internet Speed at over 115, using an ethernet cable to my desktop.  I also have a wifi router connected that I use for a laptop and iphone connection, and I use a Blu-ray player with wifi for Netflix in the living room.

The speed from the router is more like 50, and it doesnt reach all the way to the living room.  I have a wireless extender about half of the way to the living room to get the blu-ray with a decent signal strength.  When I use Netflix, it shows a link speed of about 12 to 15. 

When you get a retention offer like this do they make you commit for 12 months or do they jsut give you a lower rate for that time period and you can still cancel whenever you want? 

No commitment. I always refuse a contract.  Sometimes they will say 10 or 15 a month lower if I agree to a contract.  If I agree to a contract, I would lose my bargaining chip with the retention people..  

I might be short changing myself that way, but I think cable prices are going to have to go lower in the next few months / years.

Message 23 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do pretty much the same with my Comcast cable / Internet bill.

I dont have a contract and I call the 'retention department' and tell them my bill is too high and I will have to leave if they cant help me lower it.  They always give me a price reduction for 12 months that is close to what the teaser rate for a new customer would be. 

About the Internet Speed and the wifi router - 

I also have excellent Internet Speed at over 115, using an ethernet cable to my desktop.  I also have a wifi router connected that I use for a laptop and iphone connection, and I use a Blu-ray player with wifi for Netflix in the living room.

The speed from the router is more like 50, and it doesnt reach all the way to the living room.  I have a wireless extender about half of the way to the living room to get the blu-ray with a decent signal strength.  When I use Netflix, it shows a link speed of about 12 to 15. 

When you get a retention offer like this do they make you commit for 12 months or do they jsut give you a lower rate for that time period and you can still cancel whenever you want? 

No commitment. I always refuse a contract.  Sometimes they will say 10 or 15 a month lower if I agree to a contract.  If I agree to a contract, I would lose my bargaining chip with the retention people..  

I might be short changing myself that way, but I think cable prices are going to have to go lower in the next few months / years.

Yea I am definetly not going to agree to lock myself in to a contract with them.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do it now.... I made the switch over a year ago. I NEVER run out of things to watch with Netflix, Hulu & Amazon Instant. If there is something I absolutely have to watch (The Walking Dead) that is current, I purchase the episodes on Amazon. Best decision I've ever made! I'm saving over $150/month!

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.