Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I join a CU

tag
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Should I join a CU

I have been debating switching my checking and saving away from US bank to a CU. I am eligible for NFCU and they just started building a branch office that's right on my to and from work everyday it is very tempting . Should I go for it? There are several other Cu in my area Ft Campbell credit union , Altra , and I think a few more that have local offices but NFCU seems to be the best one to go for. Any input would be great from people that have experience with them. I am only interested in opening a acct with some one with a local branch so I can deal with them in person if there is ever a problem.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Should I join a CU

@twall06 wrote:

I have been debating switching my checking and saving away from US bank to a CU. I am eligible for NFCU and they just started building a branch office that's right on my to and from work everyday it is very tempting . Should I go for it? There are several other Cu in my area Ft Campbell credit union , Altra , and I think a few more that have local offices but NFCU seems to be the best one to go for. Any input would be great from people that have experience with them. I am only interested in opening a acct with some one with a local branch so I can deal with them in person if there is ever a problem.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket ...So NFCU is a good bank open an account and keep US bank as well

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 4
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Thanks I may just open a lower level checking acct with them just to have another option besides us bank I'm just frustrated with us bank. They use to be very friendly and nice at the branch I go to but a lot of the employees have left most of the newer people have been rude and very unhelpful . I don't need an attitude from a teller when I am withdrawing some money.
Message 3 of 4
Startome
Regular Contributor

Hey there, as far as CUs go, my parents growing up banked at Financial Center Federal Credit union for a long time, and I did when I was younger. If there is one in your area, the ones I've been to have always had a very friendly staff and done a great job watching for fraud (My dad went about 150 miles south, still in state, and got a phone call to make sure it was him), and solving your problems. A great company to work with if it's nearby. My dad still banks there and has for around 20+ years Smiley Happy

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.