Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick of the prestige design

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Sick of the prestige design

So i am in japan and "trying" to use the prestige card. Due to the ridiculously poor design of this card with a black stripe on front with dark background there have been times where the card has been declined because the people swiping it could not make it work. Seriously whomever came up with this catd design should be fired. It is bad enough in the US that i need to explain to everybother merchant how to swipe it but in a foreign language they get tired of trying and just claim its declined when the card is valid. Want to use it as a primary card and i cant because of this.
;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Sick of the prestige design

Normally I'd respond with something like first world problem. But what seems trivial on the surface is indeed a legitimate gripe. While it's a nice looking card, it really does need a redesign. A credit card shouldn't require a brief lesson on how to use it every time you hand it over for a purchase. 

Message 2 of 14
Blodreina
Established Contributor

I thought they changed the design a while back, where the strip is on the back of the card.  You should be able to request a replacement and automatically get the new design.

Message 3 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

My month-old Prestige came by default with the stripe on the back, just like most issuers' cards. A TPG article from Oct. 2015 said conventionally-striped replacement cards were available upon request. You might be able to get one overnighted.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 14
pip3man
Valued Contributor

I think Citi might be considering switching the Prestige card to metal or some other high end material. I got a long a$$ survey from them couple days ago which I responded and some questions specifically asked how interested I would be in a metal card and how important it is etc

Message 5 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

Unfortunately getting a new card wont help me while im in japan. I thought by pointing to the stripe they would be able to figure it out but it is proving difficult. Im certainly requesting a new card when back stateside. Just really frustrated because i had a large hotel invoice that i ended up having to throw on my amex for a large loss of bonus points and higher exchange rate fee to boot.
;
Message 6 of 14
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

I think Citi might be considering switching the Prestige card to metal or some other high end material. I got a long a$$ survey from them couple days ago which I responded and some questions specifically asked how interested I would be in a metal card and how important it is etc

Message 7 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

With the AF it should be metal. Honestly im keeping the card because i do find it useful. I wish they would include travel as a bonus category though. Im not going to keep the premier for that one category and i feel like it would be reasonable to have everything travel related on the higher af card.
;
Message 8 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:
Unfortunately getting a new card wont help me while im in japan. I thought by pointing to the stripe they would be able to figure it out but it is proving difficult. Im certainly requesting a new card when back stateside. Just really frustrated because i had a large hotel invoice that i ended up having to throw on my amex for a large loss of bonus points and higher exchange rate fee to boot.

If Amex can overnight Platinum to customers when they are out of the country, it might be worth a call to see if Citi will do the same for Prestige. Is there some place you can pick up a package, like a hotel front desk?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

Right now im moving around a fair bit with a night here and night there. Most of my big paid stays are either past or due asap. Then everything will be award stays or going on my marriott since i will have one or two marriott stays coming up.
;
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.