SmorgasBoard Posts No Longer Included in Post Counts

tag
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: SmorgasBoard Posts No Longer Included in Post Counts

@polecat87 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

And who decided what's 'quality'?

Every congrats posts means something to the person being congratulated.  

Apparently, someone did decide posts to SmorgasBoard aren't because they aren't counted.

And although I've never posted a CC approval here, personally I'd rather have one congratulatory post from a user telling me their experience with the card/issuer(or what they've heard is the strong points of the card than a couple dozen generic messages from users who may/may not have read my post. Just sayin'

You wont get the generic responds if you dont post the approval, if it bothers you so much.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 41 of 56
polecat87
New Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

@polecat87 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Apparently, someone did decide posts to SmorgasBoard aren't because they aren't counted.

And although I've never posted a CC approval here, personally I'd rather have one congratulatory post from a user telling me their experience with the card/issuer(or what they've heard is the strong points of the card than a couple dozen generic messages from users who may/may not have read my post. Just sayin'

You wont get the generic responds if you dont post the approval, if it bothers you so much.

First, I've never said it "bothers me". I actually used to read the approvals section a lot (or whatever it's called this week) back when I used to lurk.  It's not as useful as it used to be- mainly because people used to put their stats on their approvals so one could say, "yeah my profile is similiar maybe I'll try for that  card". Now it seems few do meaning their approval serves no purpose other than a chance to collect  "attaboy's". I guess you could say those who post no useful information on their approvals deserve generic congrats messages anyway...

Secondly, I'm in the garden until October, so I wouldn't post there anyway. Once I emerge from the garden (with near 800 score, AAoA over 5 years, no under 12 month inquires) I plan on going on a spree so I might.post there.

It wasn't directed at you anyway coldnmn... it's unfortunate I used your message in my original post here... you actually do often give good advice and I apologize if I offended...

Message 42 of 56
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@polecat87 wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

@polecat87 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

First, I've never said it "bothers me". I actually used to read the approvals section a lot (or whatever it's called this week) back when I used to lurk.  It's not as useful as it used to be- mainly because people used to put their stats on their approvals so one could say, "yeah my profile is similiar maybe I'll try for that  card". Now it seems few do meaning their approval serves no purpose other than a chance to collect  "attaboy's". I guess you could say those who post no useful information on their approvals deserve generic congrats messages anyway...

Secondly, I'm in the garden until October, so I wouldn't post there anyway. Once I emerge from the garden (with near 800 score, AAoA over 5 years, no under 12 month inquires) I plan on going on a spree so I might.post there.

It wasn't directed at you anyway coldnmn... it's unfortunate I used your message in my original post here... you actually do often give good advice and I apologize if I offended...

The stats are mainly in the application section to help people who wish to apply. They did the applications sections so stats didn't get lost. I take no offense I never do. I give congrats because when I started on the forum some would get a bunch and I got none. I was so happy for a little jump in my credit and nobody bothered or cared if I succeded in my credit journey. So I decided that if I can read it I can give a little congrats. If that's wrong I will live with it but I would rather give a boost to someones day then grumble in the corner. That's just me.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 43 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@polecat87 wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

@polecat87 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

This exactly is why I rarely read or post in the Approvals section.

Message 44 of 56
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

To add, what's wrong with giving an 'attaboy'? I enjoy reading the excitement of someone finally getting their dream card or a rebuilder who was stuck with the FPs of the world and obtaining their first 'prime' card- not meant to slight any others who post their success(es).

My point is this forum serves a community, not just one person and if we are truly here to support each other, then I see nothing wrong with telling them congratulations on a job well done. 

Message 45 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@09Lexie wrote:

To add, what's wrong with giving an 'attaboy'? I enjoy reading the excitement of someone finally getting their dream card or a rebuilder who was stuck with the FPs of the world and obtaining their first 'prime' card- not meant to slight any others who post their success(es).

My point is this forum serves a community, not just one person and if we are truly here to support each other, then I see nothing wrong with telling them congratulations on a job well done. 

The main complaint is quality of reply.

Why just give a canned and impersonal "Congrats"?, When you can also post some personal experience related to the product, or even a recommendation to get a better bonus offered with it. I think we all can agree with that!

Message 46 of 56
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Because if I post a "congrats" and then give my experience in a second post I can get 2 posts added to my count, and not one.

Duhhhh
:-P
Message 47 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
Because if I post a "congrats" and then give my experience in a second post I can get 2 posts added to my count, and not one.

Duhhhh

So if we made SmorgasBoard not count for post count, Can we make Approvals not count either? Smiley Happy

I mean.....if post counts don't matter, right?

Message 48 of 56
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Duhhhh

So if we made SmorgasBoard not count for post count, Can we make Approvals not count either? Smiley Happy

Why are people so wrapped up in post counts?

They're effectively meaningless in my estimation; I don't use that nor length of registration as any criteria as a quality judgement for an individual post or for an user.  Vomit on page does not a useful opinion make.

The Approvals forum was created to get the "Oooh shiney!" posts out from where they were distracting everyone; realistically underwriting criteria should be elsewhere.  I'm not certain as to the original rationale for Smorgasboard posts not counting, I wasn't here let alone a moderator when that occurred.  I think everyone might be confused by the "grant more weight" comment Barry made: ranks have been completely revamped since then at least once and I believe twice.  As a result, I don't really think much of it.

Also I suspect if we looked at post distribution over the years in this particular board, I suspect it's gone down substantially.  I'd personally be more inclined to make Smorgasboard posts count again instead of Approvals not counting as I think both help drive community and stickiness on the forum which I think is a good thing... though this board doesn't get read much compared to others.  

My thoughts anyway.

        
Message 49 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Duhhhh

Why are people so wrapped up in post counts?

They're effectively meaningless in my estimation; I don't use that nor length of registration as any criteria as a quality judgement for an individual post or for an user.  Vomit on page does not a useful opinion make.

The Approvals forum was created to get the "Oooh shiney!" posts out from where they were distracting everyone; realistically underwriting criteria should be elsewhere.  I'm not certain as to the original rationale for Smorgasboard posts not counting, I wasn't here let alone a moderator when that occurred.  I think everyone might be confused by the "grant more weight" comment Barry made: ranks have been completely revamped since then at least once and I believe twice.  As a result, I don't really think much of it.

Also I suspect if we looked at post distribution over the years in this particular board, I suspect it's gone down substantially.  I'd personally be more inclined to make Smorgasboard posts count again instead of Approvals not counting as I think both help drive community and stickiness on the forum which I think is a good thing... though this board doesn't get read much compared to others.  

My thoughts anyway.

I could live with this compromise.

Message 50 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.