tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: SmorgasBoard Posts No Longer Included in Post Counts

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:
Because if I post a "congrats" and then give my experience in a second post I can get 2 posts added to my count, and not one.

Duhhhh
:-P

So if we made SmorgasBoard not count for post count, Can we make Approvals not count either? Smiley Happy

I mean.....if post counts don't matter, right?

Why are people so wrapped up in post counts?

They're effectively meaningless in my estimation; I don't use that nor length of registration as any criteria as a quality judgement for an individual post or for an user.  Vomit on page does not a useful opinion make.

The Approvals forum was created to get the "Oooh shiney!" posts out from where they were distracting everyone; realistically underwriting criteria should be elsewhere.  I'm not certain as to the original rationale for Smorgasboard posts not counting, I wasn't here let alone a moderator when that occurred.  I think everyone might be confused by the "grant more weight" comment Barry made: ranks have been completely revamped since then at least once and I believe twice.  As a result, I don't really think much of it.

Also I suspect if we looked at post distribution over the years in this particular board, I suspect it's gone down substantially.  I'd personally be more inclined to make Smorgasboard posts count again instead of Approvals not counting as I think both help drive community and stickiness on the forum which I think is a good thing... though this board doesn't get read much compared to others.  

My thoughts anyway.

I could live with this compromise.

I'll bring it up for discussion with the moderators / Admins; can't promise anything as this has been a long standing thing but there's been a number of complaints regarding this stance over time (regarding Approvals and Smorgasboard) doesn't hurt to talk about it.

I appreciate folks's feedback as always!

        
Message 51 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:
Because if I post a "congrats" and then give my experience in a second post I can get 2 posts added to my count, and not one.

Duhhhh
:-P

So if we made SmorgasBoard not count for post count, Can we make Approvals not count either? Smiley Happy

I mean.....if post counts don't matter, right?

Why are people so wrapped up in post counts?

They're effectively meaningless in my estimation; I don't use that nor length of registration as any criteria as a quality judgement for an individual post or for an user.  Vomit on page does not a useful opinion make.

The Approvals forum was created to get the "Oooh shiney!" posts out from where they were distracting everyone; realistically underwriting criteria should be elsewhere.  I'm not certain as to the original rationale for Smorgasboard posts not counting, I wasn't here let alone a moderator when that occurred.  I think everyone might be confused by the "grant more weight" comment Barry made: ranks have been completely revamped since then at least once and I believe twice.  As a result, I don't really think much of it.

Also I suspect if we looked at post distribution over the years in this particular board, I suspect it's gone down substantially.  I'd personally be more inclined to make Smorgasboard posts count again instead of Approvals not counting as I think both help drive community and stickiness on the forum which I think is a good thing... though this board doesn't get read much compared to others.  

My thoughts anyway.

I could live with this compromise.

I'll bring it up for discussion with the moderators / Admins; can't promise anything as this has been a long standing thing but there's been a number of complaints regarding this stance over time (regarding Approvals and Smorgasboard) doesn't hurt to talk about it.

I appreciate folks's feedback as always!

Good to hear! Look forward to the good news. Smiley Happy

Message 52 of 56
KaLin
Administrator Emeritus

We appreciate everyone's feedback.

When the decision was made to exclude the Smorgasboard from the ranking structure/post counts, we didn't have all the boards that we currently have.  The decision was made based on the fact that for the most part, the Smorgasboard is a place to discuss all topics not credit-related, so posts here were excluded in order to drive conversation to the relevant credit topic boards in order to rank up in the community.

However, the addition of some of the boards recently can also be used as an additional argument either way.  So this is something that will have to be discussed at length among the mods and admins to come to a decision.  I can almost guarantee though that if the Smorgasboard posts are once again counted towards post counts for ranking up, the whole ranking structure will be revamped to reflect that -- which means all the metrics that go into ranking up will be exponentially increased, as well.

Message 53 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KaLin wrote:

When the decision was made to exclude the Smorgasboard from the ranking structure/post counts, we didn't have all the boards that we currently have.  The decision was made based on the fact that for the most part, the Smorgasboard is a place to discuss all topics not credit-related, so posts here were excluded in order to drive conversation to the relevant credit topic boards in order to rank up in the community.

However, the addition of some of the boards recently can also be used as an additional argument either way.  So this is something that will have to be discussed at length among the mods and admins to come to a decision.  I can almost guarantee though that if the Smorgasboard posts are once again counted towards post counts for ranking up, the whole ranking structure will be revamped to reflect that -- which means all the metrics that go into ranking up will be exponentially increased, as well.

All great points, agreeable compromise indeed.

Message 54 of 56
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@KaLin wrote:

Can we wait to increase all the metrics for ranking up until after I get epic contributor. 

Or just give me my own rank that no one else can have. Smiley Tongue 

What is life without a cool myfico rank. I don't even know. 

Message 55 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KaLin wrote:

Can we wait to increase all the metrics for ranking up until after I get epic contributor. 

Or just give me my own rank that no one else can have. Smiley Tongue 

What is life without a cool myfico rank. I don't even know. 

Oh hush, you're already senior contributor! Smiley Tongue

Message 56 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.