Regular Contributor
mirachi

So I was thinking...

...what do you think would happen if someone with excellent credit (let's say 840+), more money than small countries applied for a secure card? (say they're even holding an AMEX black card also as well - so likely the AF for said secured card is proly pocket change for them...)

I know, I know, probably would never happen...but just for $hits and giggles...denial for too much credit? approved (or denied) but with a special message saying **bleep**?

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Senior Contributor
Open123

Re: So I was thinking...

Aside from rebuilding, there are a few reasons to have a secured card.

1.  Anticipating credit issues ahead, opening secured cards will allow a person to have credit cards open while the unsecured ones may be closed.

2. A few years ago, Citi's secured credit card came with a 4% deposit account when interest rates were near 0.  Being the large corporate beaurocartic behemoth, they were a few years late in adjusting the rate.

3.  In some cases, having a secured card will eliminate a sudden decline or CLI decrease.  For example, while in Asia, I like to have a large secured card from a local bank to ensure I can pay when and if "weird" charges are flagged.

I'm sure there are more, but those are just some of the reasons I've had secured cards (and still do).

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+