cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So how did YOU fall in love with credit/credit card management?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So how did YOU fall in love with credit/credit card management?

Hello all - I'm pretty new here and really thankful to have fallen into this forum! I used to think I was a tad crazy for enjoying talking about credit cards and my annual rate of return on my spend as so many around me would look at me like I was NUTS! Now, I am by no means extreme in this world nor would I consider myself a churner. This new world happened to fall onto my lap by pure accident. I now look forward to every credit score increase, any CL increase and new CC opportunites that match my spending habbits. I would love to hear how all of you fell in love with credit/credit card management and what you value most from it. Please share!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So how did YOU fall in love with credit/credit card management?

So I'll start. Due to how I was raised credit cards were considered EVIL (in other words my mother worked up thousands and thousands in CC debt and we almost lost our house). Up until a year ago, I only had two credit cards which I hardly ever used. I was so un educated I had no idea I had years worth of BOA cash rewards built up! Now mind you years didn't mean much since I didn't spend much, but I found that I had over $400 in CASH that I had no idea I knew I had! 

Since the day I discovered that my goal was to make something back on every dollar I spend (minus my mortgage and car payment). I've had such a fun time with this and it has since made me even more focused on my finances and spending habits. I'm always looking as to how I can get the best deal or make the best return and this has saved me thousands! I now never spend over my means and ALWAYS pay off my statements in full. Credit cards have turned me into a healthy spender Smiley Happy 

Message 2 of 5
JimmyWayne
New Contributor

1. I've recently got into this world myself. I was quite ignorant myself. I just always thought I wouldn't be approved for anything. I got a Capital One card when I was 18 with a $500 limit and maxed it out and never paid a dime back. (So stupid!! Omg) so 11 years later I apply with Capital One and I was so shocked I thought I had burned that bridge long ago. They approved me for $200 secured card. I was so excited!! Fast forward 13 months and I'm all over my credit and credit cards. My SO thinks I'm crazy lol. 
CapOne QS1 $1.2k | Chase Freedom $3.5k | Discover $2.9k | Amex Everyday $3k | Amex PRG | Amazon Store $6k | Barclays Apple Rewards $2.9k | Regions Life $2.5k | Lexus Pursuits $3.3k | PayPal MC $8k | CSP $5k | WF CashWise $2k
Message 3 of 5
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all - I'm pretty new here and really thankful to have fallen into this forum! I used to think I was a tad crazy for enjoying talking about credit cards and my annual rate of return on my spend as so many around me would look at me like I was NUTS! Now, I am by no means extreme in this world nor would I consider myself a churner. This new world happened to fall onto my lap by pure accident. I now look forward to every credit score increase, any CL increase and new CC opportunites that match my spending habbits. I would love to hear how all of you fell in love with credit/credit card management and what you value most from it. Please share!

I guess I would have to say I'm not in love with credit/credit card management. True, I chase rewards, even though I do not need the extra income. True, I chase a high credit score, even though I do not need credit. True, I spend hours everyday on these boards, figuring countless credit stratagies for credit and money I do not even need. If I was not disabled, I would be working and living a normal life, but I'm not working and can't. So I play the credit game, because it one of the few things left I can do. I do not need credit or a good credit score, and I have more money than I will ever live long enough to spend. For me, I guess you would call this a hobby. An 850 credit score is a goal in life...about my only goal in life anymore. A damaged spinal cord has robbed any other goals in life I had. Loads of money mean little when my health prevents enjoying it. So now my only pursuits in life is watching TV and playing credit games and of course this forum. It is what it is, but I'd hardly call it Love...survival maybe!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

About 2 years or so we noticed the gas station we got to most offered % off if you use have their card. We got one. After it came we found it had cash back for everything at 1%.  We never knew about this before. We started using that card for everything. Since then we have upgraded to better cash back cards like Disco, Citi DC, Cap 1 QS and Amex BCP 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.