cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So.. what is the catch with prepaid cell phone plans?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So.. what is the catch with prepaid cell phone plans?

Next month I am going to go into a T mobile store and get some info. Actually one of their contract plans isnt bad. All I really need is a smartphone android with a gps and they have several free phones that would satisfy my needs. I don't really need top of the line. If it does what I need it to do I am good.

Their plan with a contract is 60 dollars a month and that is doable. Every 2 years of course I could get a new free phone as an "upgrade"

Will definitely have to ask them how to unlock it though when traveling or if it is possible. If not then of course wifi calling in the hotel would be what I would do.

Message 11 of 24
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

I had Sprint for several years until a coworker told me about Boost Mobile and how it runs off of the Sprint network. I switched!! That was 5 years ago. At first, I was paying $40/mo for unlimited call/text/web on a basic phone. In Nov 2010 they started their "shrinkage" plan, where for every 6 months of on time payments my bill drops $5, up to $15 off total, so now, I have an unlimited Blackberry plan data/call/text and pay $45/mo flat. Sept is suppose to be when they launch the iPhone and I can't wait to get my $15 off of that plan!

Cap1(sc) 550, Cap1 750, Walmart 750, Home Depot 3000, Amazon 700, US Bank 1500, Childrens Place 1100, JC Penney 700, Old Navy 700, PayPal 700, Torrid 700, Lane Bryant 150, Avenue 500, OSP 500, Amex Blue 2000, Disc it 1000, Walmart Disc 2200, Old Navy Visa 1700, Mortgage 09-2012, Car Loan 03-2013

Current Score: EQ 665 EX 687 TU 695

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 24
marty56
Super Contributor

I  had a Verizon smart phone which I switched to an unsmart but easier to use prepaid phone.  To me the catch is that they charge $2 a day when you use it so I have to think about the call before making it.  When I was on a fixed minute plan, that never occured to me. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 13 of 24
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Sorry for waking up this thread, but I've heard that Virgin Mobile may offer the same prepaid deal for iPhone 5 as for previous models. I expect to use voice very little, and texting is not obligatory. I seem to recall some prepaid offered by AT&T, but can't find any specifics at this time. Do you know what the status is for these?

Message 14 of 24
Dustink
Valued Contributor

The 12 from pageplus 250 minutes, 250 texts, 10mbs of data. Just shut data off and use wifi. 10mb is enough to look up the occasional phone number or address. This prepaid plan runs on verizon towers.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 15 of 24
carlismycat
New Contributor

I have straight talk and love it. I am using google play apps on a anfroid based touch screen phone that only cost me 99. at walmart. I still have my i phone that I need to switch to since it is unlocked now. my husband and I got out of our contract through at&t by paying their early termination fees. and paying those to get out, was about the same as if we had stayed two more months! And he is saving a ton of $ now.
Also, he got his i phonr unlocked and bought a special sim from straight talk to use his straight talk plan on his i phone. Thats what I plan to do with my i phone.
Trying to garden again: Myfico Experian: 621, Myfico Equifax : 613, MyFico transunion: 639
Goal : 780

Message 16 of 24
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 17 of 24
Volpes
Regular Contributor

As far as now, I'm happy with my T-mobile pre-paid service. I switched from Net10 pre-paid to T-mobile just recently (January 2013).

I purchased a Nokia Lumia 710 phone (its a Windows 7.5 phone); its my first smart phone, and I really like it. Used USAA baking to deposit a check, the internet speed is quick, was hungry one day out of town and searched for a local Subway restaurant.

Its $30/month unlimited data/text. Talking minutes aren't great, but I don't use them much.

Pre-paid has come a long way, and has much improved. 

Message 18 of 24
CS800
Super Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

I use straight talk also.  $45 a month for unlimited everything. 

It's backed on the ATT network right? How do you like it? Speed etc

Message 19 of 24
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It all depends on the zip code you enter but the ones ending in C use Verizon, androids use Sprint, ending in G use either T-mobile or AT&T depending on the area The reason is that since they are basic phones not 3 g they can be used in either network And all the Nokia smartphones are 3G and they only work on AT&T 3G network that's why they send you a sim for them.

And yes, it works perfectly fine.  I have a WalMart IPhone and it works just like the one from AT&T for a whole lot less.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.