Super Contributor
CS800

Re: So.. what is the catch with prepaid cell phone plans?

guiness56 wrote:

It all depends on the zip code you enter but the ones ending in C use Verizon, androids use Sprint, ending in G use either T-mobile or AT&T depending on the area The reason is that since they are basic phones not 3 g they can be used in either network And all the Nokia smartphones are 3G and they only work on AT&T 3G network that's why they send you a sim for them.

And yes, it works perfectly fine.  I have a WalMart IPhone and it works just like the one from AT&T for a whole lot less.

Right now I have a contract phone (2 year contract) and for 900 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data, I pay with tax around $105. I have ATT. That's why I was curious as to how good the quality of the reception ,data speed etc

guiness56

I can't tell any difference with it being a Straight Talk phone.  It works just as well as when I actually had AT&T.  Unlike with AT&T, I've never had a dropped call, data speed is excellent and so is reception.

Valued Member
blitz

I also use Straight Talk, and I have the AT&T sim card. Never in a place without any signal, data speeds are great (I've even used my phone as a mobile hotspot with no problems a few times). Been a customer with them for over two years now. 

Starting Score: AVG 529 (5/2013)
Current Score: 626 (03/2014) - Barclaycard FICO
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
kroberts67

When my contract ran out finally with Tmobile, I switched to Virgin last December to save money.  Got a $50 phone (you get what you pay for) and basically it did the job with just a few major annoyances.  Saved money and I just got onto my boyfriends AT&T plan, activated my new iPhone last night.  Ahh much better!!

I found 2 catches:

1. Pay crazy amounts for phones. If you want an iPhone from 3 seasons ago you're till paying $400 or $500.
  2. Coverage is not the same even though they tell you it is.  You may not notice it but I definately did.

In the end, it was only temporary for me and I could have gone longer had I splurged for a better phone.  It did the job, but only the basics. It was nice to have a break and only pay $35 month.

FICO: EQ 727 | TU 724 | EX 718
SFFCU Visa $11.3k + LOC $5k, USAA Amex $6k, USAA MC $7k, Amex BCE $4.5k, Cap1 $1k, Freedom $5k, Slate $3.2k, Barclays SM $5k.

My Credit Repair Journey

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+