cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So you loaned your friend money and now................

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you loaned your friend money and now................

Ok were only talking a small amount here ($10.00) but this person makes more money than you and has less bills.

This person has not paid you back yet. Said they would on the first. Instead of paying you back they call you to brag about the new bed set they bought at walmart for $39.00.

Keep in mind that this person is not only supposedly your best friend but your boss.

How would you handle it?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Re: So you loaned your friend money and now................

Consider it a gift, not a loan any longer, and whenever asked again to lend him/her money, always be cashless.

Also consider looking for a new job as soon as that's feasible.  If your boss is so lacking in character on something small like that, he/she is likely to be lacking in character on bigger things that could affect you much more.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 2 of 23
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

If they're buying bedsheets @ Walmart...they must need that ten bucks more than you.  Just Kidding!

I agree with Scamp 100%.  Today it's $10, tomorrow it's $50 and so on. 

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you asked for the money, like a reminder?  It is possible that this slipped their mind and they aren't intentionlly failing to pay back.

IMO, either politely ask for the money or forget it and call it a gift and don't loan in the future.

Message 4 of 23
marty56
Super Contributor

Mistake # 1: Loaning Money to a friend

Mistake # 2: Having your boss as a friend.

Seriously it was a bad move on your friend's part to take the money because they are your boss.  Not very professional of them  I would treat it as a gift, like all loans of that type should be and also decide if you want to continue to work for your friend in the long term.  IMHO I would look for a new boss/job.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

My mom used to always say " Don't loan anything out including money unless you are ok with not getting it back."  I live by these words and it saves me alot of grief. I would be ticked off if I was you too!!
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would personally just let it go, but in a few weeks ask HER if you can borrow 10 bucks. 
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh this is rich it just keeps getting deeper and deeper. You'll love this. I havent said anything to her about the money yet but get this her purse was stolen with all her money in it so  now she cant even pay her rent and she doesnt know what shes gonna do. But another employee OWES her $5.00 so she'll at least be ok on gas.

She filed a police report (so she says) but it will be a few days before the report is available and she doesnt know how she's going to be able to get it because it costs $5.00.

Anyone believing her story?

Im not.

Message 8 of 23
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

What's a police report going to do? It won't pay the rent for her for sure.
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had my check book stolen--they give you a copy the minute they are finished writing up which should be with you standing there because you have to sign it as a sworn statement--definitely, look for another job.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.