cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still finding it kind of funny :) (fingerhut)

tag
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Still finding it kind of funny :) (fingerhut)

I posted about this awhile ago but we just got some more mail from fingerhut so thought id post again because, well its funny Smiley Happy

Long story short, 

I could not get approved for a fingerhut account and my wife could not get approved for a fingerhut account.  We both got approved for the fresh start, buy something send 30 dollars in and have a tiny credit limit.  Neither of us wanted that so declined.

A few weeks after we both were declined, I got a card in the mail in my name under my fingerhut account that I could not activate online.  Another long story short (and much aggravation) the phone rep gave me the social security number on my account and it was not my social security number it was my wifes.  (I really doubt she was supposed to give me the social on the account since I was giving her mine which showed as wrong)  Soooo I ended up with a 500 limit card with my name, my fingerhut account number and my wifes social.

Now why I think its funny, we both just got a catalog with the fresh start offer in the mail the other day.  I am really starting to think they goofed bad when they screwed up our info and gave me an account with my wifes social.  If I call and give my info they have no record and offer me a fresh start on my fingerhut account becacuse I get declined for a regular credit account, if my wife calls and gives her info they have no record and try to offer her a fresh start account and decline giving her a full credit account.  If I call and give half my info and half my wifes they can find my account just fine with the credit limit under my fingerhut account number.  We applied days apart online and never mismatched our info while applying.  

Rereading my post it does not sound so funny, but somehow it is to me Smiley Tongue  

Hope you all have a good morning at work!  I am just about off work.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Re: Still finding it kind of funny :) (fingerhut)

Got a preapproval in the mail from fingerhut for 600 limit the other day.  I called to either have the messed up account transfered to my wife or to close it.  I cant because when I call I tell them they screwed up and its my wifes social but my info.  When I give them the info they say its not my soc number.  When my wife gives them her info they say its not her name on account.  Soooo cant close the old account and not going to take another HP for the new higher limit account.  Either that or the rep I talked to was misinformed.  So I guess that account is going to sit until they close it since I cant.  (I only called once, I hate their customer support, badly.)

Yay fingerhut. asshats.

Message 2 of 5
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I would escalate to a supervisor it could screw up both your credit files for fraud!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 5
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Thats what my wife keeps telling me as well and why I havent tried to use the card at all.

Will have her call again and try to talk to someone else.

Last time I talked with their customer support the lady told me oh it will not let me transfer to a supervisor and asked me to hang up and call back to get someone else and kept trying to pretend she could not hear me (hello sir, are you there?  Hello?  hello sir?  please call back, hello sir? until I said Im not hanging up you will have to hang up on me then presto she heard me fine again)  She also kept calling me Gary or Dereck, I repeated about 20 times in a row that was not my name because she kept saying oh im sorry gary (apologizing for calling me gary)  Ill stop typing about that theres a ton more but I get so aggravated thinking about that phone call with them.

Message 4 of 5
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Lol - sounds like Cap 1.   Them - No, we can't send you a...

Lol - sounds like Cap 1.

Them - No, we can't send you a refund check becuase the cc account is closed.

Me - how do I get the credit balance then?

Them - use the card and use up the credit balance!  Duh!!!

Me - so the account is still open?

Them - NO!  Your account is CLOSED!  You can NOT use your card!  Your account has been closed for several months.  

Me - I know it's closed.  So how do I get my refund if I can't use the card, and you refuse to send me a check?

Them - USE.  YOUR.   CARD.  It's.   not.   that.   hard.  to.  understand.  GAWD!

Me -  Ok, I understand now.  I have a credit balance, correct?  

Them - Yes.

Me - Ok, that means money is owed to me, correct?

Them - *sigh*   YES.

Me - Ok, and Cap 1 won't send me a check for the credit balance?

Them - NO!!!!  

Me - Ok, and my credit card - the last one I received - has expired right?

Them - YES!  It expired several months ago!!!   GAWD!!!

Me - Ok, and my account is definitely closed, right?

Them - for the 15th time, your cc account is CLOSED.  DONE.  You CANNOT use your card!

Me - Ok, then how to do I access my money?

Them - If you want money, go to your bank.  What do you think we are?  Duh!

Me - My cc has a credit balance on it, which means the  money is owed to me.  I can't use my card because it has expired AND the cc account is closed.  You won't send me a check.  How do I get my money  back?

Them - USE.  YOUR.  GAWD.   DAM*.  F**KING.  CREDIT.  CARD!!!

Me - Supervisor please.

REPEAT WITH A SUPERVISOR.  No joke.  

Them - Oh, so you want your money back?  I understand.  Just use your card.

Me - I can't.  Give me another 5 minutes and I will have my complaint finished for the BBB, the AG, CCI, and the Dept of Treasury.  Please hang on the line.  I am almost finished here...and how do you spell your name?  J*E*R*?  Ok. Got it.  Yes, I am including your name.  What's your title?  Supervisor?  Got it.  Just another minute...

Them - Uh, you don't need to include my name.  It's ok, we understand you are a bit upset.  Just use your card and use the credit balance and everything will be ok.

Me - Finished!  My compliant sums up that I have a closed cc account, a credit balance, and Cap 1 refused to reopen the card for free and refuses to send a refund check.  How do you spell your last name?  Then I can hit "SEND."

Them - No!  Wait!  Just wait!  Let me check with a super-supervisor about this.  Just wait.

A few minutes later, a super-supervisor gets on the phone.  It's starting to be a repeat.  

Me - My complaint is already done.  I just want to add your name.  How do you spell your first and last name?  Job title?  Employee number?  Thanks so much.  Now I am going to hit send...

Them - WAIT!!  I will send you a refund check.  Will THAT make you happy??  You are being so freaking difficult, gawg.  

Me - When will that check be mailed?  When can I expect to receive it?  

I did receive a check in less than two weeks.

My son went through something similar.  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.