Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stoooopid customers!

tag
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Stoooopid customers!

My store rant for the week....we close at 10:00pm.  I had a customer call at 9:58pm asking if I could look through the clearance rack for an item.....ummmmm noooooooo

I also love, Love, LOVESmiley Very Happy the customers who refuse to understand that the closing announcements pertain to THEM.  They get in line at the register AT 10:00pm with a cart load full of merchandise. 

Our store, like most, operate on a tight hours schedule.  We're required to clock at at our closing time on the schedule.  10:00pm means 10:00pm.  We have a five minute window, otherwise we're questioned by management.

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stoooopid customers!

I agree, last minute people just suck! They all say, well you are open till XXXX? right?  Like that is some sort of argument for them to be in after closing.

My biggest rant of the week is people who write checks.  People have gotten really mad at me lately because our store has switched to imaging checks.  I have absolutely nothing to do with this, but people seem to think that I am directly responsible. People can no longer write a check and have it clear days later because our system reads the check and it goes directly to the bank--pretty much just like a debit card. We even give them their checks back--making them responsible for the checks and not us.  People have actually looked at me and said, "Well, what's the point of me writing a check? It will clear right away?" 

People who write checks don't seem to understand that they are holding up the line because they always start writing after you are done with everything. It is always a big production with them the center of attention.I think it is a pathetic attempt for people to get attention.

I know I am being mean, but  if you go to the grocery store please do not complain to the cashier about the price of groceries.  We know because we have rung in 40 other people that day and every single one of them have told us that the prices have gone up.  Sorry, I am just being grumpy todaySmiley Mad!

Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I can say that I don't do that (complain to the cashiers) ... if anything, I'm sweeter to them than I am anyone else. I figure I don't want a gazillion cranky, hungry (cause let's face it, after walking by the deli and fresh bread aisles -- not to mention the yummy cakes and such -- you're not just "hungry" you're "HON-GRY!" ) who are paying more and more 'cause of the stupid gas prices inflating everything, hollerin' at ME, why on the earth would I want to holler at THEM?!

Though I have seen oodles of people get surly (mostly men! No offense to the fellas out there!!!). And unfortunately for anyone with me, that infuriates me to no end. And I usually let the OFFENDing person know it. Vocally. And loudly. Shamed the man completely. And I mean that I shamed him (not proud to say it, either ... I was having a BAD day and this fella just pushed me over the edge seein' as how the cashier was a friend of mine) BAD. But he did apologize and walked out with his tail betwixt his legs.

My poor hubby didn't look at me cross-eyed for a week. Too scared to, I imagine, after the tongue-lashing I gave a stranger. But that's what you get when you don't act proper in public. Ya'll's mamas didn't do their best to teach ya'll manners for nothin', you know.

I no longer have ANY patience for stupid or ill-mannered people. You can thank all of our tourists for that. But that's a rant for another day. :/
Message 3 of 33
cantretire
Contributor

Wonderin - Oh, we would be best friends!  I hate getting stuck behind stupid people.  I have absolutely no patience for anything anymore, although my city needs tourist dollars so I'm very helpful to them.  I yell at people all the time!  Hey at least I feel better!  One time a woman was complaining that the two fruit rollups she bought rang up as 99 cents instead of 98 cents.  2 freakin' cents!  I threw a nickel at her and told her to keep the &%)%*n' 3 cents profit.   I'm a witch with a capital B!
Message 4 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

fishbjc wrote:

I also love, Love, LOVESmiley Very Happy the customers who refuse to understand that the closing announcements pertain to THEM.  They get in line at the register AT 10:00pm with a cart load full of merchandise. 

Well, in their defense, they're not really that stupid.  They understand that when they have a cart full of merchandise, nobody is going to refuse their sale just because they walked up to a register at 10:00.  Rude and inconsiderate?  Yes.  Stupid?  Not really. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 33
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Actually Ched....we did refuse a sale.  A customer slipped through the cracks and was in the store at 10:15pm.  The registers were closed.  We offered to put her cart on hold and she could return the next day to purchase it with a 10% coupon.  We were nice about it, but once the registers are closed, they're closed.

Some people have a sense of *entitlement*...I guess closing doesn't really mean closing, lol! 

Message 6 of 33
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I was in the 9 items or less line at a grocery store (night before Thanksgiving).  It's a cash or credit card lane and clearly says so on the light.

A woman in front of me, of course, had to write a check.  She first had to turn her bag inside out to find the checks.  Of course, she had about 20 items.  I was getting antsy and gave her the *bad eye*.

After she finalized the purchase, she was walking out the door.  I paid for my one item and was right behind her.  She turned around at me and began screaming...I guess she didn't appreciate the *bad eye*.  After I spent about 5 minutes ripping her a new one...I received a little round of applause from the 20 people at the 9 items or less line.Smiley Very Happy

Why, can't people just use common sense...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

fishbjc wrote:

Our store, like most, operate on a tight hours schedule.  We're required to clock at at our closing time on the schedule.  10:00pm means 10:00pm.  We have a five minute window, otherwise we're questioned by management.

I would be one of those customers. I never go to a store to do "shopping" when it is near closing. But, I have ran into a store when it was near closing to grab a few items.

A friend works in retail and their policy is "we close at 9:00 or when the last customer leaves". They will lock the doors and not let others in after closing. But they allow their customers to finish their shopping and check out. Registers do not close down until the last customer is out of the store.

Walmart also does that when they are closing on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. My spouse tried to run in on Christmas Eve and the greeter said "no way". Finally convinced greeter, just wanted 1 quick item, and then they were sold out.

Message 8 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It would be useful if stores would announce much more forcefully than many of them do at 15 and then again at 10 minutes before closing that all shoppers need to head toward checkout NOW. Dim the lights repeatedly. Some people need a lot of stimuli to snap them out of their shopping trances.

Then unplug the registers on the dot of closing and offer to let them come back the next day.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 33
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Everyone wants to go home after a long day and they should be able to.  Nobody likes it when the boss walks in five minutes before you end your day to hand you a stack of papers that must be finished before you leave

I find this incredibly rude of people, get your azzes out of the store ON TIME. 
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.