Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Story of the disappearing myFICO VETS

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Story of the disappearing myFICO VETS

I beleive that there are many factors that made the vets distance from this forum.

- They were here for a reason or another and thier purposes have been fulfilled so they don't feel the need to stick around

- Life comes in the way sometimes

- Recognition: There are many vets who have not been recognized one way or another; I can quote several of them that have been here since the begining and have contributed a lot and helped others. 

- It is somewhat direct but in a way it needs to be said that there are many that were not given their due in the totem pole while others less experienced and newer somehow passed the criteria to ascend to a higher level.

I'm sure many of the older crowd would agree to it but it had to be said somehow and this means no disrespect to any of you. It is based on many years being on here and observing and finally speaking about it.

To the VET crowd still lurking around, you know what i mean and you know me well. I felt like although we have talked about this in private, it needed to see the light of the day. What might come out of this , most likely nothing at all but it needed to be said so that the higher ups hopefully does something about it. When it comes to these topics, I'm not shy to voice it. I know I am speaking on behalf of many of you out there Smiley Happy

To quote some of you that would remain nameless:

'Well I was here and got my FICO up in the 700's, time for me to move on'

'With my kids growing, i feel like i need to step away now'

'I need to step away from the drama that some of these threads become.'

'All I do bro is help out and contribute; I don't make the cut'

'I feel like it's like a privileged club that only knowing someone gets you places sometimes'

'Seriously it is discouraging to even see what goes on. You give and give but nothing'

And many more over the years....concerns are voiced to no avail..and that ladies and gents is how you see some of the very experienced vets fade away

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
isoldmyatlas
Frequent Contributor

Re: Story of the disappearing myFICO VETS

Very interesting post, CS!  I always do enjoy your input.

I wouldn't call myself a vet, but I've been a near-daily visitor to the forums since I started building credit 2.5 yrs ago.  I was an active poster up until earlier this year.  I don't always log in, but I'm always reading!  Full disclosure: I have zero interest in "climbing the ladder," so to speak.  I'm here for educational purposes only.

There are two main reasons I scaled back on posting:

1) I went into gardening mode.  I have the cards I need, so I'm not actively applying.  Right now I really only post about any CLIs or APR reductions I receive.  I'm really just enjoying watching my scores go up and up!  That gardening high Smiley Happy

2) Honestly, I became kind of...disheartened...at the fact that certain long time users haven't been suspended/banned by the mods due to them repeatedly insulting members and generally causing drama.  I've seen it happen over and over and I don't think it's something that should be allowed to happen repeatedly.

TU: 793 (6/13/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 788 (6/15/18)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $40,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Citi Home Depot $8,000 (06/2018)
Message 2 of 15
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

I joined a little over 5 years ago,  and things have changed on the forum in the past year or so.  While I don't spend as much time on here as some do,  I miss seeing what I will call the "old gang".   Times change,  and not always for the better. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 3 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CS800 wrote:

I beleive that there are many factors that made the vets distance from this forum.

- They were here for a reason or another and thier purposes have been fulfilled so they don't feel the need to stick around

- Recognition: There are many vets who have not been recognized one way or another; I can quote several of them that have been here since the begining and have contributed a lot and helped others. 

- It is somewhat direct but in a way it needs to be said that there are many that were not given their due in the totem pole while others less experienced and newer somehow passed the criteria to ascend to a higher level.

I'm sure many of the older crowd would agree to it but it had to be said somehow and this means no disrespect to any of you. It is based on many years being on here and observing and finally speaking about it.

To the VET crowd still lurking around, you know what i mean and you know me well. I felt like although we have talked about this in private, it needed to see the light of the day. What might come out of this , most likely nothing at all but it needed to be said so that the higher ups hopefully does something about it. When it comes to these topics, I'm not shy to voice it. I know I am speaking on behalf of many of you out there Smiley Happy

'I feel like it's like a privileged club that only knowing someone gets you places sometimes'

'Seriously it is discouraging to even see what goes on. You give and give but nothing'

And many more over the years....concerns are voiced to no avail..and that ladies and gents is how you see some of the very experienced vets fade away

CS800, I've known you for a while and respect your opinions; however, we had a similar thread to this here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Moderators-please-read/m-p/3496913

I will state it again: if you care enough about the forum to write about one's complaints, why not offer solutions?  

Some of the issues you have listed have no solution: no harm, no foul - about the only constant in life is priorities change, and honestly being on this forum isn't a very high priority in the grand scheme of things once the information pertinent to the individual has been obtained.  By definition it's a volunteer role, with some varying differences in what individuals get out of it.  That will wax and wane with the economy, to phases of the moon, and everything inbetween.

I am a little confused regarding the three I've highlighted in pink: what specifically are you getting at?  

As for the issue in blue: I'll be the first to admit I can't possibly read more than a fraction of our post volume on the forums.  Not even close.  If concerns are being raised, where?  Maybe I've missed them but until the recent thread quoted above I've only seen a handful of criticisms over the past three years.  In this case I'll call it directly: we've exchanged PM's in the past, if you or other vets whom I've likely interacted with over time don't feel comfortable posting it on the forum, why not just send me or one of the other moderators you know well a PM?  I might not necessarily agree with it, but it certainly wouldn't get ignored and we'd have the discussion.

If it takes a thread like this or the prior one to raise the concerns, so be it; but I think y'all do a great disservice to the community by not addressing it more forthrightly as if you care enough to complain in private, I would suggest you care enough to send a PM or similar to someone who might actually be able to address the situation and improve the community as a result.

        
Message 4 of 15
CS800
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

CS800, I've known you for a while and respect your opinions; however, we had a similar thread to this here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Moderators-please-read/m-p/3496913

I will state it again: if you care enough about the forum to write about one's complaints, why not offer solutions?  

Some of the issues you have listed have no solution: no harm, no foul - about the only constant in life is priorities change, and honestly being on this forum isn't a very high priority in the grand scheme of things once the information pertinent to the individual has been obtained.  By definition it's a volunteer role, with some varying differences in what individuals get out of it.  That will wax and wane with the economy, to phases of the moon, and everything inbetween.

I am a little confused regarding the three I've highlighted in pink: what specifically are you getting at?  

As for the issue in blue: I'll be the first to admit I can't possibly read more than a fraction of our post volume on the forums.  Not even close.  If concerns are being raised, where?  Maybe I've missed them but until the recent thread quoted above I've only seen a handful of criticisms over the past three years.  In this case I'll call it directly: we've exchanged PM's in the past, if you or other vets whom I've likely interacted with over time don't feel comfortable posting it on the forum, why not just send me or one of the other moderators you know well a PM?  I might not necessarily agree with it, but it certainly wouldn't get ignored and we'd have the discussion.

If it takes a thread like this or the prior one to raise the concerns, so be it; but I think y'all do a great disservice to the community by not addressing it more forthrightly as if you care enough to complain in private, I would suggest you care enough to send a PM or similar to someone who might actually be able to address the situation and improve the community as a result.

Hi Rev, appreciate your feedback.

I think some of the old timers that I have interracted with stay on the low side of things, they do not want to stir anything and rightly so. I really enjoy this forum and I owe a lot of my progress to the wealth of information that the people put on here. 

For me it was a life change that caused me to escape for a bit to take care of the family. I have just started to come back since I have more free time.That said I have kept in touch over the years with many of the old timers/serious posters and I hear them out because they don't want to start anything and risk annoying someone on the Mod/Admin squad. As you pointed out, silence doesn't solve the issue that they have and how they feel. I can only reach out to them and I know they can see this post.

As I see some posts about 'where are the vets' and the likes, I thought that it would be good to shed a perspective from what I have heard from the said vets. Myself, I am glad to see the infusion of new blood in the forum. And these guys do see what I posted. I would encourage them to speak out in PM's to the mods to voice the exact same thing they tell me.

I do however agree that sometimes, some posts/decisions do leave me wondering about the logic of certain things. MyFICO has its own train of thoughts as to how decisions are made. I follow rules Smiley Happy

The mods on here have earn their badge for what they have done; I'm a firm believer of that; others disagree..can't make everyone happy.

So my post was not a complaint but rather an accumulation of feedback and observation. As usual Revelate pleasure reading your response Smiley Happy

PS: The other link you pasted seems to be like someone doesn't want to be recognized. I would encourage that person to PM one of you guys.

Message 5 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I chose to resign for good reasons. I do not have any regrets. I still post at this site.

Message 6 of 15
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I've gone into browsing mode. I agree with CS, as having been in the rebuilding pit, I'm seeing more bad advice, quick fix parroting, and argument when proper solutions are offered, and disregarded, because it takes time. 

My count wasn't achieved by saying congrats to posts 100x a day.

Message 7 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

I've gone into browsing mode. I agree with CS, as having been in the rebuilding pit, I'm seeing more bad advice, quick fix parroting, and argument when proper solutions are offered, and disregarded, because it takes time. 

My count wasn't achieved by saying congrats to posts 100x a day.

That's been a common criticism: how would you address it?   More FAQ's?  Better information resolution?

We're in process of moving more of the social side of the house to a single board, which should at least help in Credit Cards to improve things.

I don't know the RYC community well enough to suggest solutions there: I realized early on I'd be beating a dead horse on my one paid collection (oh how I wish I'd found these forums 2 months earlier, story of my life) and my negative BOFA tradeline, so other than tax issues which aren't commonly brought up here, I'm sort of useless there and as such haven't frequented it like other forums.

Where else are you seeing issues?

@CS800: It's incredibly difficult to annoy me let alone anything worse.  I can say unequivocably the same about Lexie as well, and I'm 99.8% confident of that with Shogun/Pizzadude (both AFK atm) and Kenny too: no one will ever be snickered at let alone marginalized or worse on the forums bringing an issue up to us privately.  Again, we might not agree with it, but we'll take the time to explain our stance if so... especially if it's something as moderators we have zero control over of which there's a non-trivial amount as we aren't FICO employees.  On the other hand, if it is a good idea, I promise it'll be discussed.  I can't remember even an idea sent to me which I thought was ludicrous which wasn't brought up to the moderators and Admins... then again we so rarely get feedback.

I do appreciate the people who posted in the last thread, and also in this one.  This community is for the users, if we're blowing something, tell us.

        
Message 8 of 15
eddie84
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

If that person gives and gives and expecting something in return then he (or she) is doing it for the wrong reason.  I suppose it's getting more and more difficult these days to find such selfless person.  Just my humble opinion though...  but then again, I haven't been here long enough to see what else goes on around here. lol Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@eddie84 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

If that person gives and gives and expecting something in return then he (or she) is doing it for the wrong reason.  I suppose it's getting more and more difficult these days to find such selfless person.  Just my humble opinion though...  but then again, I haven't been here long enough to see what else goes on around here. lol Smiley Tongue

I volunteer in AYSO: our volunteer rates are down pretty much across the board across everywhere we have a presence over the last 5 years.

It's not just here, the culture of America is changing.  Whether it's because people are more self absorbed, or because we're struggling to make ends meet, or there are simply more demands on our time, fact is nobody is truly selfless and if you're not getting something out of a volunteer role, why continue doing it?  I do ask myself that on a regular basis now both with AYSO and here as people are simply becoming less polite and frankly both are less enjoyable to me than they once were.

I can empathize with people who leave as a result of they aren't getting what they want out of the forums; however, it's incredibly helpful to understand what one's expectations are, and it would likely be useful to discuss that here or privately as I haven't been informed of what expectations aren't being met.  We are trying to improve the recognition of users on the forum though, the Kudos system only recently was added and has yet to be utilized fully.

        
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.