Did you mean: 

Story of the disappearing myFICO VETS

tag
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Story of the disappearing myFICO VETS

@Revelate wrote:

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

I've gone into browsing mode. I agree with CS, as having been in the rebuilding pit, I'm seeing more bad advice, quick fix parroting, and argument when proper solutions are offered, and disregarded, because it takes time. 

My count wasn't achieved by saying congrats to posts 100x a day.

That's been a common criticism: how would you address it?   More FAQ's?  Better information resolution?

We're in process of moving more of the social side of the house to a single board, which should at least help in Credit Cards to improve things.

I don't know the RYC community well enough to suggest solutions there: I realized early on I'd be beating a dead horse on my one paid collection (oh how I wish I'd found these forums 2 months earlier, story of my life) and my negative BOFA tradeline, so other than tax issues which aren't commonly brought up here, I'm sort of useless there and as such haven't frequented it like other forums.

Where else are you seeing issues?

@CS800: It's incredibly difficult to annoy me let alone anything worse.  I can say unequivocably the same about Lexie as well, and I'm 99.8% confident of that with Shogun/Pizzadude (both AFK atm) and Kenny too: no one will ever be snickered at let alone marginalized or worse on the forums bringing an issue up to us privately.  Again, we might not agree with it, but we'll take the time to explain our stance if so... especially if it's something as moderators we have zero control over of which there's a non-trivial amount as we aren't FICO employees.  On the other hand, if it is a good idea, I promise it'll be discussed.  I can't remember even an idea sent to me which I thought was ludicrous which wasn't brought up to the moderators and Admins... then again we so rarely get feedback.

I do appreciate the people who posted in the last thread, and also in this one.  This community is for the users, if we're blowing something, tell us.

There is no tactical fix to the RYC. Just as everyone else, the newer members are anxious to throw things out to prove themselves, regardless to their actual knowledge, or experiences. Hard for people to determine the quality of advice given, when they're clueless in the first place.

The "stepping on toes" is predominant lately, with certain individuals even being snarky with RobertEG, which is laughable. Only Guinness went there... Lol.

It'll run the course, either by more bad advice, or people will stop asking overall, when getting conflicting info.

Message 11 of 15
CS800
Super Contributor

@eddie84 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

I beleive that there are many factors that made the vets distance from this forum.

'Seriously it is discouraging to even see what goes on. You give and give but nothing'

If that person gives and gives and expecting something in return then he (or she) is doing it for the wrong reason.  I suppose it's getting more and more difficult these days to find such selfless person.  Just my humble opinion though...  but then again, I haven't been here long enough to see what else goes on around here. lol Smiley Tongue

Well who is to say why this reason is wrong? This member joined before me and has contributed a lot and what he saw (i agree with him) is that some after him have gone up and he hasn't. I'm all about 2 things when considering a modship.

A moderator should not  be selected only if they write long threads about a topic that's very details. A mod can also be someone with a long tenure in a forum. I can name many who I think over the years should have been mods/CL's and I'm picky as it is.

So I'm sure many on here would agree that the logic is not clear and tenure is not taken into consideration sometimes. I know some who have had words with some mods (in a respectful way) and were shown the way out. I have seen some who I wonder how they are still around.

In my 6 years here, I have seen a lot. And there are discussions that sometimes go offline with some members over emails.

This thread was just to shed some light over some of my observations shared by several of you on here. These are personal observations and in no way or shape is meant is any disrespectful way. But some things just have to be said and I'm glad this forum allows us to speak out and in this case i'm just the voice of the ones that wanted to remain annonymous (and I respect that) and I post on here with my actual myfico username

Hope all of you are enjoying the fall weather Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CS800 wrote:

@eddie84 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

I beleive that there are many factors that made the vets distance from this forum.

'Seriously it is discouraging to even see what goes on. You give and give but nothing'

If that person gives and gives and expecting something in return then he (or she) is doing it for the wrong reason.  I suppose it's getting more and more difficult these days to find such selfless person.  Just my humble opinion though...  but then again, I haven't been here long enough to see what else goes on around here. lol Smiley Tongue

Well who is to say why this reason is wrong? This member joined before me and has contributed a lot and what he saw (i agree with him) is that some after him have gone up and he hasn't. I'm all about 2 things when considering a modship.

A moderator should not  be selected only if they write long threads about a topic that's very details. A mod can also be someone with a long tenure in a forum. I can name many who I think over the years should have been mods/CL's and I'm picky as it is.

So I'm sure many on here would agree that the logic is not clear and tenure is not taken into consideration sometimes. I know some who have had words with some mods (in a respectful way) and were shown the way out. I have seen some who I wonder how they are still around.

In my 6 years here, I have seen a lot. And there are discussions that sometimes go offline with some members over emails.

This thread was just to shed some light over some of my observations shared by several of you on here. These are personal observations and in no way or shape is meant is any disrespectful way. But some things just have to be said and I'm glad this forum allows us to speak out and in this case i'm just the voice of the ones that wanted to remain annonymous (and I respect that) and I post on here with my actual myfico username

Nonspecific attacks are specious at best: I'm calling out the statement in pink as likely crap - if this has happened they should take it to me directly (or Lexie if the person in question was me, but I'm 99% confident I haven't done that as a moderator and certainly never intentionally) and we will sort it out no question as neither I, nor the other current moderators, nor the Administration support that sort of shennigans: if someone is abusing their privelege they won't be long for the world in that role.  Period.  

Further if they don't trust any of the moderators, take it to either Kelsey_H or Mike_C: they will handle it.  Absolutely.

As for the rest, neither tenure nor post count in my estimation is a good judge of character.  If you want my subjective look as to who should be elevated:

1) Someone who conforms to the ideals of the community: yup FSR in all it's glory much as some laugh at it

2) Someone who assists people with good information, and who is generally respected in the community

3) Someone who grabs water or sand to toss on a fire rather than gasoline

4) Someone who is active with the likelihood of remaining active

5) Someone who lets the moderators know when their attention is needed via the Report Inappropriate Content option.

A moderator is pretty much the same with the exception of I want someone who is going to remain professional under fire, and not abuse their rights.  Making threats or worse is not ethical behavior.  Also if they've done well as a CL: that's an admittedly subjective benchmark.

If a user wants to know what they can do to become a CL I will give them an honest opinion; however, in my two years as a moderator all of one person has done that.  If you have the desire and think you'd make a good one, ask as I am 100% confident we don't catch everyone when we go trawling for CL's (and it's pretty much fait accompli no one gets promoted above that without being a CL first).

Have we promoted some people who likely shouldn't have been: absolutely, we're human and mistakes happen.  Have we done a terrible job compared to a lot of forums I see, I find it hard to believe anyone being objective could state that honestly.

        
Message 13 of 15
CS800
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

@eddie84 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

Nonspecific attacks are specious at best: I'm calling out the statement in pink as likely crap - if this has happened they should take it to me directly (or Lexie if the person in question was me, but I'm 99% confident I haven't done that as a moderator and certainly never intentionally) and we will sort it out no question as neither I, nor the other current moderators, nor the Administration support that sort of shennigans: if someone is abusing their privelege they won't be long for the world in that role.  Period.  

Further if they don't trust any of the moderators, take it to either Kelsey_H or Mike_C: they will handle it.  Absolutely.

As for the rest, neither tenure nor post count in my estimation is a good judge of character.  If you want my subjective look as to who should be elevated:

1) Someone who conforms to the ideals of the community: yup FSR in all it's glory much as some laugh at it

2) Someone who assists people with good information, and who is generally respected in the community

3) Someone who grabs water or sand to toss on a fire rather than gasoline

4) Someone who is active with the likelihood of remaining active

5) Someone who lets the moderators know when their attention is needed via the Report Inappropriate Content option.

A moderator is pretty much the same with the exception of I want someone who is going to remain professional under fire, and not abuse their rights.  Making threats or worse is not ethical behavior.  Also if they've done well as a CL: that's an admittedly subjective benchmark.

If a user wants to know what they can do to become a CL I will give them an honest opinion; however, in my two years as a moderator all of one person has done that.  If you have the desire and think you'd make a good one, ask as I am 100% confident we don't catch everyone when we go trawling for CL's (and it's pretty much fait accompli no one gets promoted above that without being a CL first).

Have we promoted some people who likely shouldn't have been: absolutely, we're human and mistakes happen.  Have we done a terrible job compared to a lot of forums I see, I find it hard to believe anyone being objective could state that honestly.

You can call statement in pink as crap and it happens. There can be rules t live by but you cannot guarantee that make the claim that they are followed (your last paragraph said that). Although there are rules, no one on here can claim that they have not been broken or abuse have not happened.

I'm not pointing any name because i was told not to.

Item 1-5 you mentionaed above (and I agree with you) are great points to go by if they are followed most of the times and not occasionally. Like I said I know several on here who have covered 1-5 above but never asked ( i understand that to be a CL or Mod, most of the times, someone is asked)

This thread is just to state what I have seen. I have been on here long enough to see them. No one is perfect and like I said, this is is a great forum and that is why I come on here. My point is no one can claim that what happens behind the scenes is always fair and follows the rules of engagement that are set.

And if you want my subjective opinion, all the mods I have personally interracted with were nice and professional; I do not have any complaints about them. My post was more of what I have seen and heard from others. I cannot claim that anything that they told me was real or fact (although I know some of them on a personal level) , I can only tell them as I was told.

What I appreciate is people like you Rev who come on and debate it in a mature and respectful way.

Message 14 of 15
Kelsey_H
Former myFICO Employee

As a myFICO admin, I am locking this thread. I will reach out to CS800 via private message to discuss the issue further. A lot goes into choosing moderators and community leaders. The positions are by invitation from your admins and they are completely volunteer. These guys put a ton of work in to keep these forums friendly, organized and helpful. In fact, this community is one of the best in the country due to its passionate users and its dedicated moderators. Please understand that you are always invited to send me a PM directly if you have any concerns or complaints.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.