Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for best way to break up with a guy

tag
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Suggestions for best way to break up with a guy

I'm racking my brains here. I met this guy three months ago. Really seems to be a nice, solid,  treats me very well, tons of respect, good looking guy too, affectionate, intelligent, stable, lots in common.  But i gotta cut him loose for a few reasons (one is emotional manipulation - has said the following:  I can't go on without you, you're the love of my life, i love you more than my wife (ex wife of course) if you and me don't work out, then i'm giving up, I want you with me everyday, for the rest of my life - heavy) I do realize that those could be lines but i'm not so sure I believe they are lines b/c other people I have introduced him to can tell that I am adored by him. 

I thought about saying I'm moving to Harrisburg to take another job. IDK - I'd try honesty but that would just give him a chance to correct his behavior and i don't want that.

your thoughts?

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Suggestions for best way to break up with a guy

@daisyduke wrote:

I'm racking my brains here. I met this guy three months ago. Really seems to be a nice, solid,  treats me very well, tons of respect, good looking guy too, affectionate, intelligent, stable, lots in common.  But i gotta cut him loose for a few reasons (one is emotional manipulation - has said the following:  I can't go on without you, you're the love of my life, i love you more than my wife (ex wife of course) if you and me don't work out, then i'm giving up, I want you with me everyday, for the rest of my life - heavy) I do realize that those could be lines but i'm not so sure I believe they are lines b/c other people I have introduced him to can tell that I am adored by him. 

I thought about saying I'm moving to Harrisburg to take another job. IDK - I'd try honesty but that would just give him a chance to correct his behavior and i don't want that.

your thoughts?

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/01/04/why-women-cheat-on-their-husbands/

Message 2 of 4
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@daisyduke wrote:

your thoughts?

The old saying will always be what it is..... THE TRUTH HURTS!

Just be honest and cut all ties if you do not feel the same way. His insecurities and comments aren't fair to you or himself. Just make sure you cut all ties, because if you"do not" then you give him false hope.

Now if you feel the same way as he does and can see yourself spending the next zillion years (what it seems like at times, LOL) with him, then this is where relationships take work and understanding. When you love some one you love them for everything they are all their faults, insecurities, qualities, etc etc... 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would NOT say you were moving. That just has so many ways to backfire (running into him again, having him be perfectly willing to go long distance/move with you) and then what will you do! Honesty is definitely the best policy, even though it sucks. Just tell him he's come on too strong, and you don't feel the same way he does. Even if he does try to correct the behavior, you don't have to agree to see him again. Besides, if he really is a nice guy, he deserves to know what went wrong.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.