Not applicable

Suze Ormon's Advice

Just right or too extreme?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Suze Ormon's Advice

Who is Suze Orman? JK! I pay no attention to her.
Message Edited by fused on 01-22-2009 08:22 AM
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think her advice is sound but too extreme. I live by the philosophy of spending your money while you still can and also save for a rainy day. I would not do what she is suggesting- don't spend on your wants, instead spend it on retirement savings. Well, here's the problem, what if I die before I retire? I can't take that money with me and sadly, I just lived a meager life at the end.

I say, every- but in moderation.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love to watch Suze, I think she is really entertaining.  I love to hear her deny people.  That being said I probably would not own any of the stuff I do if I took Suze's advise to heart. So my take is as long as you can pay the bills and put some in savings you are probably doing pretty good. 

If you are constantly trying to borrow money from friends or family then you need to do something else.  (Not saying you are). 

But I believe if I want a new car and can afford the payments then thats my business to buy it or not. 

Message 4 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

She makes me nuts, but I think she's a great reality check for those who've grown up in the tomorrow-never-comes mentality. Every now and again, I think where I would be if I had started my retirement savings back in my twenties, and it quite literally makes me sick.

I've only seen her show four or five times, but if anyone submits their potential purchase to Suze, they're obviously wanting to hear her opinion. I don't think that she has started pounding on front doors and going through strangers' bills, lol, but of course, there's still time for that.

In these days, I'm all in favor of someone who stands up and yells about the necessity to drastically change spending habits!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 23
cobra19
Valued Contributor

IMO, her and Ramsey are both quacks.

Message Edited by cobra19 on 01-22-2009 03:56 PM
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 6 of 23
demi
Established Contributor

She drives me nuts.  I think she has some basic, good principles...but I have a hard time taking advice from someone who is making millions off of it.  Wearing diamond earrings, designer suits and telling me to scrimp.  Voice drives me really nuts...don't mind reading stuff.

Saturday Night live had a great parody of her a few months ago.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

demi wrote:

Saturday Night live had a great parody of her a few months ago.

Oh, I saw that! I laughed so hard that I got hiccups.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 23
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I took her scrimping advice to heart.  I decided to take a book of hers from the library instead of purchasing a copy for myself.

There is moderation, but you have to live your life.  What good is saving every cent for retirement when that day doesn't come?  Travel while you're young enough to enjoy it.  Choose what's important.....travel is important to me and I don't regret a cent of the $$$ I've spent on it.

Designer clothing or fancy cars aren't important so I scrimp there.  Electronics aren't important so I rarely spend.  I've still got our first 25" tv...Curtis Mathis from 1981 along with the vcr.  It's not going to work after Feb.!! RATS

I'd LOVE a commercial range and I do plan on buying that in the future. 

Message 9 of 23
marty56
Super Contributor

DW loved to watch Can I Afford It.

She is usually right on on her comments to people and I liked her request to the credit card companies to stop lowering CLs and RJ people.

I have heard her say wrong things about FICO scores but I dont remember the specifics.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.