Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TSA Precheck declined

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TSA Precheck declined

So wife & I both app'd for TSA precheck & had our interviews last Monday (10/30). Within two days I got an email saying she was assigned a KTN, aka approved, yet heard nothing on myself. I checked the status link and got the equivalent of a Cc or CLI denial - "eligibility determined. Expect a letter explaining determination in the next few days". Notably under my info section, it lists KTN as unassigned.

I've got a colorful past but no felonies or anything involving "explosives, treason or seditious acts". Rather curious to see just why I was denied. I suppose some of my computer activities in my early days could constitute "access fraud" but I took fraud in their disqualifying crimes list to be identity theft and credit fraud. Has anyone been denied & reconnect? I've searched around but most stories I see are from people applying for GE and neglecting to mention old convictions - precheck didn't ask for specifics just broad category based exclusions ("commited a felony including...") so I'm at a loss. Guess I'll have to wait and see but I'm pissed all the same. $85 down the drain.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

Re: TSA Precheck declined

That's not exactly a denial. Mine said the same thing, then 4 days later, I received my KTN. 

I thought the same, but read that is kind of a place holder while their system is processing. Hang tight...

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you were charged and convicted with a felony. Without knowing what that charge and conviction was, it's impossible to say.

I believe the Precheck disqualifying felony (felonies) must have happened within 7 years of application, though.  

Message 3 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The consensus on FT is that "Eligiblity Determined" means an approval. I've seen several cases where "Eligibility Determined" leads to a KTN being assigned 48-72 hours later, and some low-level TSA employees (not quite official spokespeople) have told applicants it means an approval. I don't think I've seen any cases where it resulted in a denial.

I'm a little hesitant to say you're approved with 100% certainty, but I can say that "Eligibility Determined" is certainly not a big cause for concern.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: as stated by others here I did get a followup email saying I was approved & I've been issued a KTN! Based on the wording of the status update it sure sounded like typical denial boilerplate you get on apps or cli requests. Appreciate everyone's input!

No felonies; just two misdemeanors as a young adult - both driving related. A lot of associations with "gray hat/market" computer activities though, so I wondered if perhaps my name having come up in past investigations had me flagged.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Wave to me when you pass me up while I'm waiting 2 hours in the cattle line!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.