Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taboo responses?

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Taboo responses?

Drkaje - I'm jealous of everyone here who took the initiative to be proactive.  That house fell into our lap, so to speak, and decided to do everything I could to get it.  Looking back, I shoulda found this forum years ago.  Live and learn!!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 41 of 65
drkaje
Senior Contributor

So I made a taboo response today, LOL!

A friend of mine was waxing poetic about life goals and how having a child was something she wanted to accomplish. Trying to be helpful, I explained that having a baby isn't an accomplishment and most women can get pregnant. Now she wants to be a successful parent, so in a way I was really helpful. There was too much stuff going on for me to ask what her definition of a successful parent is. Maybe tomorrow. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 42 of 65
MattH
Senior Contributor

I had to carry a balance at times in the past, am glad that is over. On auto loans, I pretty much avoid that board because I would be tempted to tell people how dumb it is to do things like roll over the balance on an old car loan into a new car loan, which means they drive off the lot already under water. If they get hit by another car, they are gonna owe more than the insurance will pay. For many people a car is a neccessity for getting to work and suchlike. But a new car is never a neccessity. I do wonder how many people replace old cars not becaause a new car is a good idea, but because it's easier to borrow money for a new car than it is to borrow money for repairs on an old car. My 2000 Camry is still in good shape overall, but every year or two needs some sort of major mechanical work done as is typical witb an older car. Lots cheaper per year than a new car, but I have to come up with the cash when needed. New cars are an expensive luxury for those who can afford them, and a financial trap for those who cannot. My wife and I eat out a lot, which we enjoy, but we could stop instantly if we had to. A big car loan is much harder to stop on short notice.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 43 of 65
teenastie
Established Contributor

@MattH wrote:
I had to carry a balance at times in the past, am glad that is over. On auto loans, I pretty much avoid that board because I would be tempted to tell people how dumb it is to do things like roll over the balance on an old car loan into a new car loan, which means they drive off the lot already under water. If they get hit by another car, they are gonna owe more than the insurance will pay. For many people a car is a neccessity for getting to work and suchlike. But a new car is never a neccessity. I do wonder how many people replace old cars not becaause a new car is a good idea, but because it's easier to borrow money for a new car than it is to borrow money for repairs on an old car. My 2000 Camry is still in good shape overall, but every year or two needs some sort of major mechanical work done as is typical witb an older car. Lots cheaper per year than a new car, but I have to come up with the cash when needed. New cars are an expensive luxury for those who can afford them, and a financial trap for those who cannot. My wife and I eat out a lot, which we enjoy, but we could stop instantly if we had to. A big car loan is much harder to stop on short notice.

Sad story about my uncle,

Went from having a 2004 Excursion, to a 2005 Dodge Magnum, to a 2006 Chrysler 300 (added 22" rims), to a 2009 Mercedes SLK convertible hard top (all bought new)... His payments were $1,400 when he finally made the decision to turn the car in for repossession Smiley Sad

I just bought a car but if it were to be totaled I'd get a check for 6K after the finance company gets the payoff. Don' try this at home folks I'm a professional Smiley Tongue.

On a side note often times when someone puts themselves in a position of a monthly auto note its usually because they trust the loan with a new car as opposed to a old car and a mechanic. I'm not saying it's right but some garages leave awful taste in customer's mouths and old beaters/ fixer uppers are more taboo (in the minds of some) than paying interest.

Message 44 of 65
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

A friend of mine was waxing poetic about life goals and how having a child was something she wanted to accomplish. Trying to be helpful, I explained that having a baby isn't an accomplishment and most women can get pregnant. Now she wants to be a successful parent, so in a way I was really helpful. There was too much stuff going on for me to ask what her definition of a successful parent is. Maybe tomorrow. Smiley Happy

Not sure how you figure that there is no accomplishment in having a baby. Nine months of good behavior and uber-healthy eating, swelling, and waddling around,  followed by untold hours of painful labor and delivery.  I truly felt a sense of accomplishment when that process was over and they placed that little bundle in my arms.  Just sayin'.  It is not the conception that is the accomplishment for most, but rather the pregnancy, and delivery.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 45 of 65
teenastie
Established Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Not sure how you figure that there is no accomplishment in having a baby. Nine months of good behavior and uber-healthy eating, swelling, and waddling around,  followed by untold hours of painful labor and delivery.  I truly felt a sense of accomplishment when that process was over and they placed that little bundle in my arms.  Just sayin'.  It is not the conception that is the accomplishment for most, but rather the pregnancy, and delivery.

I wouldn't touch this with a pole long enough to include all of HTSU and LS's posts Smiley Tongue!!!

Message 46 of 65
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

People have been having babies a long, long time, Is my point. Having children is something that can be accomplished, I just think it's not a useful way to measure accomplishment. Is someone who has 10 kids 10 times more successful than a person with only one?

My friend is in the middle of finishnig Med school and a nervous wreck. I just found it amusing that she thought popping out a baby would magically fix everything that was wrong with her life. Smiley Happy

Message 47 of 65
quest208
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have noticed lately I can ramble off topic if given a chance. Probably comes with the territory of being at this forum for awhile and starting to get comfortable with the regulars, and being in the garden for the rest of the year so apping and credit isn't the main thing on my mind right now. Basically starting to see some threads as a chance to chew the fat.

LMAO, i always ramble off topic so much so that i have to delete my responses.

i get too comfortable here and my sense of humor is off the charts too.

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 48 of 65
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I haven't made any inappropriate responses today!! Smiley Happy

Message 49 of 65
FrugalRican
Blogger

@drkaje wrote:

I haven't made any inappropriate responses today!! Smiley Happy

Still plenty of time, assuming you are talking about Wednesday since you posted this at 12:49 AM.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 50 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.