Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking TV Back For Refund

tag
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Taking TV Back For Refund

It is my understanding that practices like this are what has led to the implementation of restocking fees at many major retailers. For example, some people would purchase camcorders to be used for their weddings or their kids' graduations, only to return them after a few days when they no longer need it. Others have purchased large screen TVs for that big Super Bowl party, and return it after wallowing in the misery of an unexpected defeat at the hands of the Giants. It sounds like Sears is more lenient in their policy, which will ultimately benefit you. Of course, Sears won't entirely take a loss on this return - or any other return - even though they won't be able to resell it as new. They'll ultimately pass the cost on to other consumers. But that is the business model that they've chosen, so there's nothing to prevent people from exploiting this loophole. It may be a zero sum game in the end, but Sears won't be the negative part of the equation.
Message 11 of 20
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@DI wrote:

I have 30 days to return it.  I made sure of that before even swiping the card.  The 22" TV cost $238.  I can get one  for less, but they were all sold out.  SInce I needed a TV now, I figured I'd just get what they had and take it back.  No pain no gain.  That what having good credit and credit cards is all about.  

Since you originally asked the question you already knew what your intentions were. Now you are making an attempt to convince yourself and others of your reasoning. I am sorry to say I do not agree with you that is what having good credit and credit cards is about. 

Few things to consider. 

1. The return policy for with-in 30 days is because of manufacturing problems (no picture, no sound, no color, doesn't turn on, etc etc) and or unopened Tv's in general. 

2. Basic CRT Tv, LED Tv, LCD Tv, all have life expectancy according to tube, and or lighting, which are very expensive to replace and usually cheaper to buy a new Tv again. With that being said if you keep the Tv for 3 weeks and use it 8 hours a day that is 168 hours of use that some one else will not be able to use and shorten the life span of the Tv. 

3. While sometimes it is unavoidable and have to return merchandise, unscrupulous returns cost money to the store owners, manufacturers, employee's, consumers, and creditors/lenders. 

No matter what any one here thinks including myself it is only you who will make the decision on if it was right or wrong. But your mind was made up long before the question was asked even if you knew it isn't the right thing to do.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 12 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

My bike got stolen tonight.   I'm definately taking it back for a cheaper TV and to get another bike all.for under the amount I paid for the TV. 

Message 13 of 20
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your bike.  You might be able to find both a bike and a used TV on Craigslist for the same price as your originally-planned short-term TV purchase from Sears.  And once you're done with the TV, you can sell it again on Craigslist for whatever the market will bear.  Negotiate a good deal on the TV and you may be able even sell it for the same price at which you bought it.

Message 14 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

TV going back tomorrow at 8am.  My new Blackberry is my new T.V. 

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is definitely wrong to buy something you desire to use with the intention of demanding your money back after you've achieved satisfaction.  There are places that rent televisions for people with short time needs.  This is why prices go up in stores--because of chargebacks from customers who have hidden agendas.

Heck, I could have a great Christmas display each year if I bought the lights and all two weeks before Christmas and then returned all the merchandise for a full refund after Christmas was over.

How would we feel if a ccc extended us credit for a month with the preconceived intention to cut us off thirty days later?

Message 16 of 20
marty56
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How would we feel if a ccc extended us credit for a month with the preconceived intention to cut us off thirty days later?

LOL don't give them any ideas.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 17 of 20
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It is definitely wrong to buy something you desire to use with the intention of demanding your money back after you've achieved satisfaction.  There are places that rent televisions for people with short time needs.  This is why prices go up in stores--because of chargebacks from customers who have hidden agendas.

Heck, I could have a great Christmas display each year if I bought the lights and all two weeks before Christmas and then returned all the merchandise for a full refund after Christmas was over.

I'd say other factors, ie theft; contribute more to prices rising than returns that may be less than honest. If their return policy was costing them enough money to truly matter, then they'd just change their return policy. Note that most stores don't accept returns for seasonal items, likely for the exact reason you just gave.

Message 18 of 20
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd say other factors, ie theft; contribute more to prices rising than returns that may be less than honest. If their return policy was costing them enough money to truly matter, then they'd just change their return policy. Note that most stores don't accept returns for seasonal items, likely for the exact reason you just gave.

Purchasing (BORROWING) something with the intent to return is considered theft.

Lets just say the return comes back in original box and packaging and the store seals it up and sells it as BRAND new and you are the consumer who comes in and purchases it. Would you be happy knowing your product was not brand new? I really do not think so. I know I wouldn't and I would probably return it immediately getting my refund and probably never purchase anything from them again. 

There is no way in my eyes that this was justified.

Maybe we should all take turns monthly purchasing items and returning them with-in 30 days or however many days for their return policy and keep having a new item to use at their expense. Wonder how many places would still be in business, and the cost to the honest consumers.

This was how the restocking fee's started for returns since the item is no longer considered new nor does it have a manufacturer defect to return to manufacturer. The item is then sold for less then the original asking price and or used on display. Either way the store loses money from their P&L

If you need something on a short term and it is an expensive item you do not want to purchase that is why they have those rent a centers. Rent the items you need for your short period of time. Thats what they are in business for!

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 19 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

I went to Kmart with the intentions of buying a 19" HDTV and not return it.  Since Kmart was out the 19" HDTVs, and I didn't want to miss the bowl games(FIU and Telodo best bowl game), I had to settle for anytype of TV.  Unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow me a $256.00 22" HDTV.  I had no choice but to take it back.  When the TV that I want becomes available at the right price, I will get a new one from Kmart.   

Best,

DI

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.