Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The History of Cash Back Rewards Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The History of Cash Back Rewards Credit Cards

According to Wikipeida, cash back rewards dates back to the 90s. It would be interesting to read on the history of all the cash back credit cards since its arrival. Does such information exist?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The History of Cash Back Rewards Credit Cards

I've been curious to see what types of rewards people got back in those days, haha. 

"In the 1990s, major card issuers in the US raised the cash-back percentage up to 5%. The 5% cash back rate usually applies only to purchases made at grocery stores, pharmacies, and gas stations for 6 months.[citation needed] This high rate of cash back was set to grab the attention of potential applicants for them to consider applying for the card. Typically the cash back rate for all other purchases is around 1%."

Message 2 of 5
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

I read somewhere that Discover was the original cash back card, that started the trend. Wouldn't know how accurate that is though.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 3 of 5
Cmikul
Regular Contributor

Yes, I remember Discover starting it with their yearly rebate check.

Message 4 of 5
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Discover (as far as I know) was the first cashback card.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.