Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The New Amex Unicorn Card

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

The New Amex Unicorn Card

BEHOLD:  The Amex Unicorn Card - Blinding white, subtly bedazzled with an underlying glitter reminiscent of adult entertainment...  This rare card allows the holder the unlimited spending power befitting their position.  Rarely seen and often speculated about, this card identifies the holder as a one-of-a-kind American Express customer.  No one knows exactly how you get this card.  Questions to customer service meet a stone wall, as they deny it's existence consistently.  

It appears to be made of some type of petroleum distillate, melted and hardened with layers of graphics and magnetics, but no one can be sure exactly how.  Perhaps it is comprised of some mineral, like zync.  We may never know.  It has achieved a mystical status as an urban legend...  Crowds gather to witness it when used.  Heads turn for a second look.  Under the lights of a nightclub it stands out screaming - "Look at me!"

It is said that no one may ask for this card, and once given up it can never be obtained again.  Perhaps one day you'll have that once in a lifetime chance to be come a Unicorn Member.  But chances are you never will.  This is, by far, the exclusive of the exclusive.

The American Express Unicorn Card.  Because Hype is everything.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The New Amex Unicorn Card

Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 28
p-
Valued Contributor

Last night at a reastaurant just for fun I convinced my 13 year old it was called a Unicorn card.  It doesn't have a product name anywhere on it...  I think I'm going to enjoy this.

Message 3 of 28
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

When I was working as a server someone would put down an Amex black card every once in a while. I always heard you had to be like Jerry Seinfeld to have one and that you can charge 100 grand on it no problem. I have seen like 3 of them and 2 of the 3 were driving exotic cars lol.

Message 4 of 28
p-
Valued Contributor

@dddewdrop wrote:

When I was working as a server someone would put down an Amex black card every once in a while. I always heard you had to be like Jerry Seinfeld to have one and that you can charge 100 grand on it no problem. I have seen like 3 of them and 2 of the 3 were driving exotic cars lol.

My USAA Amex is black, but I'm pretty sure it will stop me at 6k.  And I drive a pickup...  

Message 5 of 28
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Saw my USAA Amex while digging through the sock drawer and felt sad.

It didn't do anything bad, LOL! I've been using cards (or not) based upon closing/postin dates to avoid a balance reporting and it got forgotten. I'm really not worried about inactivity because there is a recurring charge tied to it.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 28
p-
Valued Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

Saw my USAA Amex while digging through the sock drawer and felt sad.

It didn't do anything bad, LOL! I've been using cards (or not) based upon closing/postin dates to avoid a balance reporting and it got forgotten. I'm really not worried about inactivity because there is a recurring charge tied to it.

awww....   

Message 7 of 28
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@ p-,

I'm actually considering shredding it and Chase Freedom just to make sure they don't get used. The sock drawer isn't safe enough, LOL!

Message 8 of 28
p-
Valued Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@ p-,

I'm actually considering shredding it and Chase Freedom just to make sure they don't get used. The sock drawer isn't safe enough, LOL!

And miss out on the Chase 5% rewards?

Message 9 of 28
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I'm snowballing Chase to death! It's a good card but really hasn't grown with regular use.

I also have a BCP.

Things got a little... err let's be honest and just say a lot out of hand last year. The expenses were necessary and not fun but I had to take 4.5 months off work.

Long term, I'd only like to have 2 or three PIF cards. I'll probably keep BCP, Citi, and one USAA card.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.