cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The breaking point for getting a minivan.....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The breaking point for getting a minivan.....

Yea, those Routon (or whatever) commercials are funny.

We went the SUV route - Chevy Blazer with the two kids, I liked it until the bank decided they liked it more and took it back.

Now my kids are 9 and 13 and I own a Mitsu Eclipse Spyder -- convertible. Good riddance car seats!

Message Edited by Shnapple on 10-17-2008 11:43 AM
Message 11 of 20
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yea, those Routon (or whatever) commercials are funny.

We went the SUV route - Chevy Blazer with the two kids, I liked it until the bank decided they liked it more and took it back.

Now my kids are 9 and 13 and I own a Mitsu Eclipse Spyder -- convertible. Good riddance car seats!

Message Edited by Shnapple on 10-17-2008 11:43 AM

DW didn't have to get pregnant to get German engineering in our driveway Smiley Wink
Message 12 of 20
cat-like-stealth
Valued Member

My wife and I made it a point to NOT say "we will NEVER get a minivan". We would say, "We would prefer not to get a minivan, but if the time comes, we will." That way people couldn't come back at you with "Haha! You said you'd never get one."  With me, I didn't say it because I didn't want to "curse" us.  

So we just got our second kid and that apparently was the breaking point for my wife. I rented her a Toyota Sienna for a week while her parent were in town, that way she could see if we were ready to lay down the cash for a new vehicle. And guess what she thought of the minivan. She HATES the minivan. She's used to driving her Prius and having the kids so close to her. In the minivan, they were just too far away for her liking.

We've gotten away with only having a Prius and an Avalon. But I'm sure if a third kid came along, that would totally change.

I say the serious consideration starts at the second kid, and the breaking point is the third kid.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got my second t&c in may of this year. I love it.  My trade in was an '00 t&c. Our two kids are long time ago grown up 20 & 23.  But I love the room in it when i shop ect.  Vicki
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

A slightly different perspective...comfortable and convenient yes, but...please, please do your teenage children a favor and ditch the minivan by the time they get their driving permit. It was not quite so cool to be jammin' in the minivan in highschool. Not cool at all. Argh, how I am STILL scarred from those days.

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 10-20-2008 10:38 PM
Message 15 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Ha, all three of mine were forced to learn on our '95 Quest! Knocked some of those adolescent hormones right on out of them. If I could have, I would have frozen the stereo on the Smooth Jazz station. Smiley Wink

My 25-year-old son still averts his eyes when he walks by it in the driveway. It's now our dump-run vehicle, being unable or unwilling to go much farther.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

A slightly different perspective...comfortable and convenient yes, but...please, please do your teenage children a favor and ditch the minivan by the time they get their driving permit. It was not quite so cool to be jammin' in the minivan in highschool. Not cool at all. Argh, how I am STILL scarred from those days.

Well my oldest dd was presented with a a beautiful 10 year old firebird along with a installed teen driving cam and a for sale sign to go on it if she screwed up. So you see your parents can scar you for life even with a cool car!!!!!

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I first found out I was pregnant I was 23 years old, living in Japan and driving a Nissan Corona (Small sports car) I came home to have the baby and drove my moms Grand Prix for a long time. I went to look at cars of my own and I was leaning towards a van but the guy at the dealerships said all the new "soccer moms" were getting SUV's. So i got a Ford Explorer Sport.. a mini version of the Ford Explorer.

It only had two doors and I had to get ALL the way in the back seat to put my son in and out because the truck was too tall to just lean into. Talk about aggrevating. I said Im never buying another small anything. My next car will be a van or a full sized SUV.

Thats when gas prices mated with my hour commute and forced me to buy my current car....

a Pontiac Sunfire... this car is so small that I could fit it INTO the Tiny Explorer!

But my son is old enough to get himself in and out of the car now and there won't be any more babies for a while.

Message 18 of 20
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I have always refused, stating that I will never, ever get a minivan. Four children later, still minivan free baby. After ditching the sports cars, I got a blazer, then a cherokee, a couple of durangos, an expedition and now a Ford Edge, because DD#1 has her license and can drive her siblings around in her Fusion.

When DF and I tie the knot, she will keep her GX470 and I will upgrade to the Infinity QX56. Minivans are not in my future.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had to look up that teen driving cam thing. Wow!  Yeah, that would sting a bit, but it IS a great idea.

AmyBoo:  I had a 2 door civic all through the baby and toddler years with my son and that's when I realized that having a 4 door would be acceptable. Too bad that didn't happen until he turned 10!  If I made it through those days, I'll never find myself in a minivan (again!).

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well my oldest dd was presented with a a beautiful 10 year old firebird along with a installed teen driving cam and a for sale sign to go on it if she screwed up. So you see your parents can scar you for life even with a cool car!!!!!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.