cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The dominance with credit cards in a bank's backyard. One example.

tag
driftless
Valued Contributor

The dominance with credit cards in a bank's backyard. One example.

I found this interesting:  tonight I was at our church for a book signing and presentation by one of my friends, who is an Episcopal Priest; P-G wrote a wonderful new book.  (I am guessing that I can't name the book without violating the board's policy about promotion?)  During the book signing I sat next to him taking in the money and running cards through my Square account while he was signing books and talking to people.  Roughly 3/4 of the cards were CSP.  There were two additional Chase cards - one Freedom and my CSR.  This is an affluent, leafy suburb of Chicago.  I thought that it was telling how the local bank controls the credit cards in the area.  

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: The dominance with credit cards in a bank's backyard. One example.

@driftless wrote:

I found this interesting:  tonight I was at our church for a book signing and presentation by one of my friends, who is an Episcopal Priest; P-G wrote a wonderful new book.  (I am guessing that I can't name the book without violating the board's policy about promotion?)  During the book signing I sat next to him taking in the money and running cards through my Square account while he was signing books and talking to people.  Roughly 3/4 of the cards were CSP.  There were two additional Chase cards - one Freedom and my CSR.  This is an affluent, leafy suburb of Chicago.  I thought that it was telling how the local bank controls the credit cards in the area.  

Card frequency varies enormously geographically. NYC and suburbs are also Chase-heavy. Los Angeles has a lot more WF than the east does.

Incomes are a big factor, too. In low-income areas a CSP may be unusual. In high-income areas, Platinums are fairly common.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 7
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Geography is a big player.  In Minneapolis I ran a pizza place in a very nice part of town.  When I saw actual credit cards and not debit it was a lot of AMEX ED, BCE and Discover.  The two big banks in the area, USBank and WF I hardly ever saw their credit cards.  Now that I'm in eastern WI with a chase branch I see a lot more Freedom and FU.  The cashier at the mexican restaurant commented on my CSP like he had never seen one before. 

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 3 of 7
driftless
Valued Contributor

I was just amazed at the number of CSP's.  Excecpt for the speaker, his wife, myself, and our rector, almost all of the attendees were retired.  I didn't think of this datapoint until this morning, not sure what it means, if anything.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting thread, I have the feeling the among big commercial banks Chase wants to be and probably is the best when it comes to credit card products, so I've been wondering how come I don't see everybody using Chase cards here in my area --Miami.

I don't take cards from the public but from what I see occasionally I think one of the most usual cards here is Wells Fargo --not very competitive for CCs BTW. I could be a little biased though, that's my debit and oldest credit card, and I recognize them easily.

Message 5 of 7
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Amongst my peers on campus, WF is the most common. At work, I see a lot of USBank debit cards and Citi/AmEx airline cards. When I visit the parentals over breaks I see lots of Chase cards.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What suburb? Chase is very popular in North Shore

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.