Did you mean: 

Time to end the Congrats

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Time to end the Congrats

@jamesdwi wrote:

@atd1970 wrote:

Lets face it, people apply for credit for two reasons; firstly because people desire a wallet full of cards, with all the benefits and status the card brings. Secondly, people get cards because he or she is trying to meet immediate needs. The kids need clothes, there has to be food on the table, or the rent payment has to be paid.

However, we, on this site, continue to say CONGRATULATIONS.

Why? We congratulate people for increasing debt. That makes no sense.

The questions should be, why do you need this card; what is your repayment plan; and how much money can you afford toward yet another debt obligation.

50 percent of the posts here simply say "Congrats", just think before you post, and may ask some questions.

after reading the full thread, I came up with an idea to solve this problem, simple set the credit card approval forum to the same status as  "Smorgasboard" forum, so posts won't be counted in post count, users will still be free to post "congrats," but we get to see how many people keep posting without the post credit to increase there "ranking" 

That is the best idea I have seen in a very long time!!

Message 61 of 72
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@atd1970 wrote:

Lets face it, people apply for credit for two reasons; firstly because people desire a wallet full of cards, with all the benefits and status the card brings. Secondly, people get cards because he or she is trying to meet immediate needs. The kids need clothes, there has to be food on the table, or the rent payment has to be paid.

The questions should be, why do you need this card; what is your repayment plan; and how much money can you afford toward yet another debt obligation.

50 percent of the posts here simply say "Congrats", just think before you post, and may ask some questions.

after reading the full thread, I came up with an idea to solve this problem, simple set the credit card approval forum to the same status as  "Smorgasboard" forum, so posts won't be counted in post count, users will still be free to post "congrats," but we get to see how many people keep posting without the post credit to increase there "ranking" 

Who cares? 

Personally it's just a ranking on a Forum on the internet about Credit cards, Loans, and FICO scores.... Not that big of a deal lol... "MY Status on MyFICO.com is (Blank) Yo"

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 62 of 72
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@atd1970 wrote:

First let me ask you this ! How many Cards do you have?????

Second, if you hate it that much stop reading the approvals forum !!!

Third........ Congrats on your thread

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 63 of 72
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

@atd1970 wrote:

That is the best idea I have seen in a very long time!!

That is not going to happen !!

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 64 of 72
Josh2942
Established Contributor

Dude your so off base its crazy. Credit cards are apart of most peoples finincial lifes. Responsible use of relvolving credit allows people to get low interest on personal, auto, mortage, and business loans; not mention all the other kind of loans. ITs a tool. By the way if you are opening a card just to rack up debt because your cash strapped, no one would congradulate you on the board. 

Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 65 of 72
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

To address a few points in thread: one cannot equate having a credit card with debt, makes no mathematical, nor rational, nor objective sense.

Do credit cards lead to trouble for some individuals?  Absolutely, that and the desire to move the bulk of the "Congrats!" posts were the entire reason the Approvals forum was created: even I've succumbed to the "Ooooh Shiny!" and "If they can get approved, why can't I?" and stepped out of my plan once for the Amex Zync (good thing I did since it was discontinued 2 months later), but fact is I'm much more disciplined when it comes to credit than at least a simple majority of the forum members here, so I absolutely understand it: that said, I know enough to treat them like cash except when I don't have any... knock on wood it doesn't come to that.

In any event, while I can appreciate the sentiment in this thread as I know I barely read any of the Approvals these days, I have absolutely zero issues with people who post their credit successes, and people that respond with "Congrats!" even if it's macroed for all I know for some users.  This forum is about encouragement and positive feedback, and for a lot of people getting a good card is a non-trivial thing: I was psyched both over my Zync back in '12, and pretty stoked about my Fidelity Amex (and definitely Chase Ink) in '14, and I'm generally not as emotional as most people I've met: again, I completely understand it.

Similarly people that have sucesses with their score increases, or getting a derogatory off, why not congratulate them?  It's a milestone.  Certainly there are people who find this forum who were born with the equivalent of a silver spoon on their credit report, through good habits and excellent discipline, but seriously, throwing stones is just stupid: guarunteed there's somewhere in everyone's life where they're not perfect, and seriously, why post here if you are?  Very, very few altrustic people in this world, if any.

I have mixed feelings on the CCA posts not counting, because I know what's going to happen for people who are trying to drive post count and it's going to drive me and the other moderators crazy: there's already too much back and forth between the two forums though I do think the benefits outweigh the costs personally.  I'll bring it up to the other moderators and Admins and see what they think: I do know I've been irritated by a past user that simply answered "+1" to everything, but I will say that the member ranks, aren't just post count.

In any event, I think this thread has about run it's course: leaving it open for now, but short of other solutions being offered, I'm not certain there's a lot of additional value to the back and forth baiting.

Thanks,

--Revelate, myFICO moderator

        
Message 66 of 72
New_Beginning
Frequent Contributor

@cluelessoregonguy wrote:

All my bills go on one card. All my spending goes on another. All my cash goes into checking and savings. I get rewards. I pay 2 bills (PIF cards) instead of 80. I pay no interest and don't build up debt. My life is easier. I don't have to write a million checks or run 6000 transactions a month through my checking account.

This just jives with how my life and my income work. It feels...organized.

Well said....I like being organized as well, and while in the rebuilding phase it does feel good to here a congrats here and there as well as give one. When I see how so many people have turned things around and are able to get the things they worked hard for a congrats is warranted, no harm in saying congrats Smiley Happy

Like one poster has said you can always keep it move on to the next topic of discussion...

BTW some of the responses on this thread is funny to me! 

Starting Score: EQ 615 (MyFICO) TU 588 (Walmart) EX 576 (EX Website) Started this journey 06/26/2014
Current Score: EQ 710 (MyFICO) TU 673 (Walmart) TU 726 (MyFICO) EX 706 (MyFICO) As of Sep 2015
Goal Score: 750 or higher across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 67 of 72
Stralem
Established Contributor

This thread really brings back fond memories of my early internet days.

One time I managed to turn an entire forum against me in only three awful troll posts. The reactions were hilarious.

Now that I'm older and wiser, I don't troll as often as I used to, but boy do I miss the game.

The amputee message board.

The import auto forum.

The domestic abuse survivor newsgroup.

The Pre-K to Elementary Parent Chat Corner.

Oh man, the fun I had.

But it's time to pass the torch on to the next generation of internet psychopath.

Carry on, atd1970.

Carry on.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 68 of 72
taxi818
Super Contributor

Closing racer99 wrote:

I have 14 cards so I must be in Debt right? I only have $400 balance because I have a 0% APR and can float it by choice ... I can pay it off now but why not keep the money in my wallet longer?

I agree. I have 11 and owe 798. 520 of it on brand new laptop. 

Im not jumping in debt. For me same as cash. 12 months 0% Apr. Keep my money longer. Use theirs. Not all jumping in debt. I would venture to say most are really responsible with it. 

Message 69 of 72
fot1
Established Contributor

Wait we have rankings? What do we get for having higher rankings?

Too many to list..
Message 70 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.