Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 30
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Timeshare and your experience

@drkaje wrote:

@ marty56,

"Let me sleep on it" Smiley Happy

Drop and give me another 10 FICO points.  LOL you're killing me. The most overplayed song in my mind was Diamond Girl.  Just thinking about hearning the intro sends shivers up my classic rock ears and down my spine.

OT on timeshares but if you are in Vegas and need directions to find somewhere do not ask anyone with a name tag and a smile on their face.  They most likely work for a timeshare.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 22 of 30
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Not too worried. A timeshare wouldn't suit my lifestyle or budget.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 23 of 30
lithium78
Established Contributor

Timeshares are way, way too expensive for what you get.  You can rent for two weeks for much cheaper than a timeshare costs.  I just stick to using discounted vacation packages through Expedia or BJ's Travel and pocket the difference.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both sets of Grandparents bought them 20 - 25 or so years ago for over $10,000 per week.  They hardly ever got full use out of them every year.  One set of grandparents the two weeks for $1000 just to get out of paying the monthly dues.  The other set of grandparents gave their two weeks to one of their sons who does use them.

Message 25 of 30
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Before DH and I got married we were invited to attend a salespitch and we would get two round trip airline tickets to Vegas.  We went.  It was a full house...standing room only. , Before we could even take our coats off, we were asked to come with someone for a moment, they took us to the back door, gave us the tickets and let us leave. 

Clearly they knew we were only there for the free stuff and we were so young, or they just knew by the look of us we couldn't afford it.  It definitely hurt our feelings at the same time being funny.....

The people I know who have them hate them.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 26 of 30
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

I see we are all pretty much in agreement timeshares are scams... now what can we do about getting out of this mess?  Any advice?  I'm at the point where I am just going to stop paying on it... I can't donate it... I think I will try to settle with them after I stop paying for a while and see if they will agree and bank my money in savings somwhere an then to a PFD letter or something...

05/12: approx 680 across the board
04/08 EQ: 730 TU: 748 EX: 718
03/08: EQ: 713 TU: ? EX: ?
12/07: EQ: 689 TU: 711 EX: 721
Message 27 of 30
marty56
Super Contributor

@techgirl wrote:

I see we are all pretty much in agreement timeshares are scams... now what can we do about getting out of this mess?  Any advice?  I'm at the point where I am just going to stop paying on it... I can't donate it... I think I will try to settle with them after I stop paying for a while and see if they will agree and bank my money in savings somwhere an then to a PFD letter or something...

They will try to resell it back to existing members at a discount.   We got a sales pitch on it when we stayed there.  it was more aggressive then the first one but we scored $150 in slot play and food.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Can you please tell  what happened afterwards because i am in the same situation as you are? Your response is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Message 29 of 30
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

Sure! They are refusing to foreclose on it.... they keep sending me messages and calling my phone to talk me out of it... since we aren't going for any loans, I haven't paid attention to my score - I don't want to know - I am following Dave Ramsey and paying stuff off and getting rid of things that don't make sense. We have everything we need - now we just need to get debt free and get rid of credit card debt, student loan debt, etc.

Hope that helps. We only owe $6,000 on it - but they don't want to write it off or foreclose and keep trying to get us to get current giving us tons of chances that we don't want - we have been ignoring them....

05/12: approx 680 across the board
04/08 EQ: 730 TU: 748 EX: 718
03/08: EQ: 713 TU: ? EX: ?
12/07: EQ: 689 TU: 711 EX: 721
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.