Reply
Frequent Contributor
Stralem
Posts: 456
Registered: ‎10-08-2011

Re: Tipping: Paper or plastic?

I'm usually with people who take splitting the bill very seriously.

 

After the bill is tallied and evenly split, things take a turn for the surreal as everyone tries to calculate the tip and how best to split it according to individual diner satisfaction. It's a beautiful display of democracy at work, granted, but it's also some of the most pointless arguing I've seen since Coke vs Pepsi was a thing. It's at this point where I sometimes step in to offer to pay for everything with my card including the stupid tip just to get these people to shut up and move on with their lives.

財布に入っているカード
      
なかなかいいコレクションだよな~
Contributor
jmcmillan
Posts: 75
Registered: ‎07-15-2011

Re: Tipping: Paper or plastic?

People who have a problem with unreported tips have obviously never worked as a server.

Most servers are going to receive their taxes back in April, anyway.

 

I leave cash for all the reasons listed above. I think it shows a bigger appreciation for what they've done for you. Also, all of my incorrect charges on credit cards have been either at restaurants or gas stations. Keep in mind that when you leave a credit card tip, the server has to go back to the computer and manually enter that tip, among 100 other things they have to do. It can be easy to enter the wrong tip (on accident! not on purpose...) Leaving a cash tip gives the server one less thing to do, and prevents any mistakes when entering the tip.

Senior Contributor
fishbjc
Posts: 3,381
Registered: ‎11-30-2007

Re: Tipping: Paper or plastic?

Some restaurants or service industries charge their servers a % of their tips if it's on plastic.

 

I usually tip in CASH.  If I use Plastic, I add an extra buck or so.  Especially if it's a place I frequent.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
-Kenny-
Posts: 5,122
Registered: ‎01-15-2009

Re: Tipping: Paper or plastic?


takeshi74 wrote:

Plastic.  I generally don't carry cash and I'm not going out of my way for someone else's attempt to avoid paying the IRS.


This is me. I wish I could say I'm better at the carrying cash thing, but I'm absolutely not. :smileyhappy:

Starting Score: EQ04: 748 (1/31/14) - TU08: 755 (1/06/14)
Current Score:EX08:788(9/24) - EQ04:763(8/29) - EQ08:789(9/23) - TU08:808(9/26)
Goal Score: 800+
Frequent Contributor
Countingpennies
Posts: 465
Registered: ‎02-14-2013

Re: Tipping: Paper or plastic?

Cash whenever possible. I did my share of serving years ago at a few places. I've seen too many instances where those extra cash dollars made the difference between putting gas in the car to get home from work or walking, or maybe picking up some milk for the kids on the way home, whether it was myself or an associate. Sure, there are service folks that make a ton, aren't living on the edge of poverty, and don't pay their taxes; but there are so many more that are scrimping by and those dollars on the table are as important as donating to the local food bank.

Frequent Contributor
youdontkillmoney
Posts: 402
Registered: ‎04-03-2014

Re: Tipping: Paper or plastic?


Countingpennies wrote:

Cash whenever possible. I did my share of serving years ago at a few places. I've seen too many instances where those extra cash dollars made the difference between putting gas in the car to get home from work or walking, or maybe picking up some milk for the kids on the way home, whether it was myself or an associate. Sure, there are service folks that make a ton, aren't living on the edge of poverty, and don't pay their taxes; but there are so many more that are scrimping by and those dollars on the table are as important as donating to the local food bank.


^^^^

Yes the main reason why I always try to tip in cash, I think the servers prefer it no matter what their reason is

Moderator
Revelate
Posts: 9,181
Registered: ‎12-30-2011

Re: Tipping: Paper or plastic?

[ Edited ]

To be fair, I suspect the size of the tip matters almost more especially as it's not hard to beat the processing charge and or even typical server tax rate (jmc was right when he stated their payments are probably coming back) when we're talking the difference between 15 and 20% on the tip.

 

Also the story regarding the casino: semi-non-sequitor for this discussion but yes if you tip generously at most establishments that serve alcohol in my experience, you will get freebies.  This is especially true if you're a regular and comp them the freebies as a tip (on the premise house cost is way lower than yours... or at least as many as we are able to keep track of).  Similar funsie story back from my non-trivial drinking days: buddy and I had a bar tab of precisely $101... so both several sheets to the wind at that point, we simply each dropped a c-note and walked out.  For the rest of our time in that one drinking establishment until we moved away, we got freebies from every single server.

 

Strangely I get that at a local chain restaurant now as I get their 10% rewards discount virtualy every time and comp them an extra buck in tip, pays to be a good customer.  

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 673, EQ 8 707, TU 720, EX 702* (09/02/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
Blackbeauty212
Posts: 144
Registered: ‎03-08-2012

Re: Tipping: Paper or plastic?

[ Edited ]

I have a Cardinal Rule "Always Tip in Cash". I have a friend who use to waitress and she told me all types of horror stories about what happens when Tips are placed on Cards. To how every cent is Tax (bad enough they get paid less than minimum wage), how it will never show up in their paychecks, to how she had to keep track of every Card tip so she knew what to expect in her check... I find it Disgusting they have to go through all this for honest work. 

 

Since then I always tip in Cash, I will even pay the whole Tip if no-one else has Cash on the them. Just one reason I always like to keep some Cash on me, to those who champion being 100% Plastic. 

 

P.S - I also always write "00 - cash" in the tip field on the reciept, everyone that pays Tips in Cash should practice this for protection.

Frequent Contributor
blondy250
Posts: 445
Registered: ‎01-03-2013

Re: Tipping: Paper or plastic?


Blackbeauty212 wrote:

I have a Cardinal Rule "Always Tip in Cash". I have a friend who use to waitress and she told me all types of horror stories about what happens when Tips are placed on Cards. To how every cent is Tax (bad enough they get paid less than minimum wage), how it will never show up in their paychecks, to how she had to keep track of every Card tip so she knew what to expect in her check... I find it Disgusting they have to go through all this for honest work. 

 

Since then I always tip in Cash, I will even pay the whole Tip if no-one else has Cash on the them. Just one reason I always like to keep some Cash on me, to those who champion being 100% Plastic. 

 

P.S - I also always write "00 - cash" in the tip field on the reciept, everyone that pays Tips in Cash should practice this for protection.


This is where I disagree, every cent SHOULD be taxed.


MyFico 4/18/14
Experian-820, Equifax-834, Transunion (Discover)--850-- 7/6/14
Aaoa-9yrs, Oldest-14yrs
1 inquiry equifax 04 Chase mortgage
"Because your FICO® score is exceptionally high, there are no actionable negative factors present with your score".
Regular Contributor
Blackbeauty212
Posts: 144
Registered: ‎03-08-2012

Re: Tipping: Paper or plastic?

[ Edited ]

blondy250 wrote:

Blackbeauty212 wrote:

I have a Cardinal Rule "Always Tip in Cash". I have a friend who use to waitress and she told me all types of horror stories about what happens when Tips are placed on Cards. To how every cent is Tax (bad enough they get paid less than minimum wage), how it will never show up in their paychecks, to how she had to keep track of every Card tip so she knew what to expect in her check... I find it Disgusting they have to go through all this for honest work. 

 

Since then I always tip in Cash, I will even pay the whole Tip if no-one else has Cash on the them. Just one reason I always like to keep some Cash on me, to those who champion being 100% Plastic. 

 

P.S - I also always write "00 - cash" in the tip field on the reciept, everyone that pays Tips in Cash should practice this for protection.


This is where I disagree, every cent SHOULD be taxed.


I would agree if they made ATLEAST Minimum Wage. The fact many of them only earn 3$ an hr outside of tips and you want to tax that... Come On ... You can make more sitting on your ass at home collecting Welfare. 


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+