cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tipping for carry-out from "nice" restaurants?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Tipping for carry-out from "nice" restaurants?

OK, so Math_Rocks's new thread reminded me that I wanted to ask about this.

We've all kicked around tipping thoughts for a sit-down meal in a restaurant. But what about calling in for a carry-out order at lunch on a weekday?

There's an O'Charley's restaurant 2 minutes from my office. About twice a month I call in a carryout order for lunch, and I usually tweak it a bit. Don't give me the Killer Rolls of Death please, but do give me two little containers of sour cream, and medium means pink in the inside, not the cow mooing; that sort of thing. The employee at the window is doing a bit more than shoving my food into the plastic carryout bag, but it's not like table service. I'd like to tip something, but I have no clue how much or how. (I pay by CC.) On a $7-8 bill, is a $1 bill (cash) tip appropriate? That's between 12-15%, depending on the check.

I don't want to put the tip on the CC, because then the employee has to report it for IRS withholding. They don't make enough as it is.

Anyone else deal with this? How do you handle it?

And to expand a bit, what about restaurants that are a level above Burger King that often do carryout? (Chinese restaurants, Japanese grill joints, etc.)

Just to explain, the challenge for me in this is that I hardly ever have cash on me. Trying to remember to have some ones in my wallet is a major task. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Tipping for carry-out from "nice" restaurants?

For a looooong time (really up until just a couple of years ago) I wouldn't tip if ordering take out from a nice restaurant. My opinion always was that it's their job to do that; why tip? I even worked with a nice restaurant once and served takeout orders and never once expected a tip. Figured that was my duty to put that together and serve it to the customer when he/she came.

I was listening to a radio show and the topic was tipping. It suggested tipping for wait staff, bell hops, hotel maids, barbers, sky caps, and even for people who put together to go orders at restaurants. So, I gave it a shot and starting tipping up to 30% at nice restaurants for to go orders. I noticed a stark difference in the quality of service, speed of the service, and even receive freebies from certain restaurants (like drinks, appetizers, desserts, etc.) just because they knew me and they knew that I'd tip well.

Message 2 of 30
Paxx
Contributor

Re: Tipping for carry out from "nice" restaurants?

Depending on where you live and the size of your the restaurant you're ordering from it may be the actual servers who prepare your take out. I worked for Red Lobster in a smaller city about 4 years ago and they didn't have a dedicated take out person. The servers had to take orders, prepare the take out and then cash the person out. Nothing upset us more then no tip on a take out. Why? Simple, it's just like getting stiffed when waiting a table.

When a server gets stiffed it's much more than just no tip for that table. They still get taxed on the total bill for that table so they can actually lose money for waiting on you. The same applies to take out orders. The order is still getting taxed and the total of the take out is added on to the servers daily taxable amount.   So in essence by not tipping your server for waiting on you or for preparing a take out, they are losing money. Don't forget also that they still have to wait on their tables and find time to prepare your take out. The more complicated the take out the more time it requires. Time that could be spend taking care of their tables working for a better tip. 

Some places have a dedicated take out person who takes care of all the take out services above. Almost always (including bar tenders, bus boys, hosts etc) these people are tipped out by the servers working that night. So at the end of the night based on how much the server makes they're required to put money into a pot that will be distributed to rest of the staff. 

People rarely tip for take out but they really should. If it has a bunch of special orders and requests there should be no question.  15% is fine just like if you were sitting at a table

Message Edited by Paxx on 11-09-2009 07:48 AM
Message 3 of 30
cobra19
Valued Contributor

IMO, if yer gonna tip for a carry-out, might as well have them deliver.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 4 of 30
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

We usually get take-out on Fridays...the bartender puts the food into a bag, gets the silverware & napkins.  On an $18 bill, I usually give her a $20 and tell her to keep the change.

Message 5 of 30
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

For years, I wouldn't tip on take-out, regardless of the level of restaurant.  This was mostly borne out of the feeling that a tip is for the service that is rendered when you sit down at a table.  But part of me knew that this wasn't entirely valid, because a lot of restaurants actually pool their tips and then divide them among the waitstaff and other workers, so some of the money goes to those who actually prepare the meal, not just to those who deliver it to the table.  I was a busboy in a Chinese restaurant in high school, and I was alway grateful for the unexpected (and under-the-table Smiley Happy) income from the tip jar.

I also justified not tipping by arguing (with myself) that the reason I was doing take-out was specifically to save money on the tip and the drinks, so adding a gratuity to the take-out bill seemed counterintuitive.

In recent years, my opinion about this has changed.   With the current state of the economy, I've also been more sensitive to the restaurant workers, especially since I often walk into near-empty restaurants that used to have lines out the door.  So now I tip the same amount as I would for table service.  I'm still saving money since I make my margaritas and mojitos at home.

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think that anyone should be tipped for ringing up my order and handing me my food...this is essentially their job, and they're spending every bit of 2 mins or so waiting on me. I have tipped in the past (2 bucks max) if my order is ready and waiting for me, and the server is great...and I'm in a good mood. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 30
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think that anyone should be tipped for ringing up my order and handing me my food...this is essentially their job, and they're spending every bit of 2 mins or so waiting on me. I have tipped in the past (2 bucks max) if my order is ready and waiting for me, and the server is great...and I'm in a good mood. Smiley Happy

i agree.  sorry, i'm not seeing the logic of paying for takeout.

for the poster who tips up to 30% & gets freebies:  if you're spending that much on a tip, are you really getting it for free?  seems like you're still paying for it.  the money is just going somewhere different.  just my opinion.

Message 8 of 30
Paxx
Contributor

But it isn't as simple as just ringing up your food and then handing you your bag.

Who do you think puts the food into the take out boxes nice and neat, makes the side salad that you ordered ensuring no cheese or croutons and dressing on the side?  Who do you think makes sure all 8 take out dinner or lunch platters are complete and all items accounted for? Who makes sure you have extra sauce, napkins and take out silverware? Who also greets you with a smile even though they know they will not be getting a tip 95% of the time?

The server who took your order over the phone that's who.

And I can tell you that preparing a take out for 3, 4, 5, 6 or more people is no less work then if you were sitting at one of the servers tables. Doesn't that deserve a tip for someone who makes dollars less than minimum wage?

Message 9 of 30
Paxx
Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

i agree.  sorry, i'm not seeing the logic of paying for takeout.

for the poster who tips up to 30% & gets freebies:  if you're spending that much on a tip, are you really getting it for free?  seems like you're still paying for it.  the money is just going somewhere different.  just my opinion.

30% every time you take out is excessive and not needed. However, a good tip on a regular customer ensures prompt service and high quality food. It's just the nature of the beast.

Before I was married I live in an apartment by myself for about 3 years and I ordered a ton of pizza - maybe one every couple weeks (hey, I was a single guy who hates cooking! Smiley Happy) and almost always from the same pizza joint. I always give at minimum $5 for a tip when ordering pizza. I quickly became a regular and became friendly with my pizza delivery guy. After about 4 - 5 pizza's they knew who I was and how I tipped and I would get my pizza in 10 - 15 minutes depending on what I ordered.

It's the same concept with restaurants. If you order take out or eat there regularly the servers get to know you and know how you tip.  We had a guy who use to come in by himself every Friday night 30 minutes before we closed and stayed about 30 minutes after the doors were locked and he only tipped $1. Everyone knew who he was and hated waiting on him. Needless to say that guy got a ton of food that was mircrowaved as people tried to get him in and out and he waited a long time for his refills on his soda's.  It's an example of you get what you paid for.  if he had tipped a reasonable amount he would have gotten a much better meal and probably even friendly chat.

Message Edited by Paxx on 11-11-2009 06:42 AM
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.