cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Loader or Front Loader (and stackable)

tag
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Top Loader or Front Loader (and stackable)

Thoughts?

It's almost time to buy the washer/dryer for the new house.  Dryer will be electric.  I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I'm leaning toward the stackers/front loaders b/c of space and orientation in the laundry room -- basically they're backwards -- dryer on left.

Thanks!  Feel free to post favorite brands and why, too!

Message Edited by WhirledPeasPlease on 07-15-2008 07:30 PM
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Stacking or side by side?

@WhirledPeasPlease wrote:
Thoughts?

It's almost time to buy the washer/dryer for the new house. Dryer will be electric. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I'm leaning toward the stackers/front loaders b/c of space and orientation in the laundry room -- basically they're backwards -- dryer on left.

Thanks! Feel free to post favorite brands and why, too!

I prefer the combo with the dryer stacked on the washing machine, but I think those are suited towards the smaller models. However, in my condo it saves a lot of space. I also live alone, so the only laundry I ever do is my own, so the load size isn't really an issue.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate stacking-

In an apartment might be necessary-

Get a home waranty and hope you break them-
Message 3 of 20
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

I'm looking at regular, full size machines that are stackable -- NOT the old-fashioned apt size one piece unit.   Sorry if I didn't make that clear.  Smiley Happy
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have heard some bad things about front loading washers-

That's the only way they make full size stackables-

WhirledPeasPlease wrote:
I'm looking at regular, full size machines that are stackable -- NOT the old-fashioned apt size one piece unit.   Sorry if I didn't make that clear.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest checking out Home Depot, they always have clearance items at 1/2 the price with the only downside being you have to transport yourself. I have seen the pretty front loader models that come in various colors including blue there for like $500 a piece instead of $1000...which I think look fantastic.

Message Edited by 1111mel on 07-14-2008 09:25 PM
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Front-loaders have a tendency to wander about, so you want to be sure that the flooring is very firm.

That being said, I would love to have a stackable W/D! Clothes get cleaner with front-loaders and use a lot less water, and I'd rather have the extra freed-up counter space for folding and so forth. The top of our dryer is technically available for this, but it always seems to have powdered detergent and dryer fuzz lying there. Smiley Tongue (Yes, I do wipe it down, but it's an endless battle.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I have to replace the current washer, I would like to get either a large front-loader or one of the agitator-less top loading washers.  I do a fair amount of sewing, as well as having kitties who like to yak on the blankets (Thanks, lovies... I really wanted to wake up to that...).  Either way, that's a very large piece of fabric in the washer.  (At the fabric store, I typically walk up to the cutting table with 5-6 full or nearly-full bolts, and tell the dismayed lady, "I want the whole bolt of all of these.")

I've figured out how to get the conventional top-loading washer to mostly work, but it took some experimenting to keep a 13-yard-long piece of broadcloth from wrapping like a hungry boa constrictor around the agitator...

-MsMS
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

We go side bt side as we put cabinets above the washer and dryer
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.