Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Knee Replacement

tag
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Total Knee Replacement

Well, my luck of the draw has finally run out.

Facing a TKR on one of my knees, and not exactly happy about it, since it's work related. Already done the required treatments pre-TKR, without success. 

Anyone here have one previously? Looking for info on recovery experiences (how long it took before you were up & about after discharge from 3 day hospital stay), and how much "discomfort" I should be prepared for, and any advice to ease things along to regain function.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Total Knee Replacement

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

Facing a TKR on one of my knees, and not exactly happy about it, since it's work related. Already done the required treatments pre-TKR, without success. 

Anyone here have one previously? Looking for info on recovery experiences (how long it took before you were up & about after discharge from 3 day hospital stay), and how much "discomfort" I should be prepared for, and any advice to ease things along to regain function.

I havent had one but my sympathies are with you as I've heard it can be painful.  Good luck with your recovery.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Dad had one,  I routinely care for ppl pre and post op.

Super easy nowadays.  Used to be a hospital stay 15 years ago, now a 3 day turnaround with Rehab highly suggested. 

Don't know if your TkR is a custom model like Conformis, or a standard but yes, you'll have a scar, BUT...in a few months with following rehab instruction, you'll be able to walk, sit, climb stairs, bend over once again without significant pain.

If you're an avid sports player, you'll probably want to cut back a little bit, I'm saying wear a brace with tennis but snowboarding might not be a good idea. My Dad is back to playing tennis 3 years post surg!

Congrats on your knee, you'll be pain free living again soon and it's such a standardized surg now, you're in and out lickity split! You got this!

edit: and by 15 years ago I mean in a bed for a week with a cath or bedpan and your leg in a medieval torture device to keep mobility active. 

Message 3 of 8
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

My coworker said post recovery physical therapy was like medieval torture with kneww therapy. I wish you a speedy recovery and God speed. You'll feel better in no time I am sure and back to a normal life doing your everyday things.

Message 4 of 8
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Medieval torture sounds a whole lot more entertaining, as compared to sitting around with my thumb up my butt. Waiting for the adjuster to approve it. Seems like the process is a big 'hurry up and wait' scenario.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medieval torture sounds a whole lot more entertaining, as compared to sitting around with my thumb up my butt. Waiting for the adjuster to approve it. Seems like the process is a big 'hurry up and wait' scenario.

Not being political.  Promise Mods!  

State of healthcare atm.  So sorry Burned. Smiley Sad. Jan was dead in patient load while Feb sucked bad.  Lots of influx.  Why?  New insurance.  Now in March, people from Jan are getting their approvals. Sad. 

BUT you'll have a new knee soon and mobility again. You won't be MR safe ( the imaging not Amex lol) for a little while, but a good vacation from work with the ability to squat again? Awesome. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just noticed this thread and not sure if it will help at this time, however -

My DW has had both knees replaced and one shoulder, all from arthritis.   She'd like to get the last remaining shoulder replaced, but waiting for better finances and timing.

First was the shoulder, it was the biggest problem, took about 6 to 8 weeks for recovery.  Not too much discomfort, she only used 5 mg Vicodin for pain relief, and only for the first week or so on a regular basis. 

About six months later, the first knee was done.  Again, about six to 8 weeks of outpatient rehab, the same for pain relief.

About a year later, the second knee, again about 6 to 8 weeks until feeling Ok.

She needed a potty chair in the bedroom for 2 or 3 days after coming home for each knee surgery.  Mainly because we dont have large bathrooms with space in front of the commode.

She never used crutches but did use a cane for a couple weeks with each knee.  She tried using a walker in the house and didnt like it.

Biggest aid to recovery in all three - using the ice therapy.  They gave us a 'machine' that had an ice holder and then two tubes that carried ice water in and out of 'patches' that would wrap around the surgery site, held in place by something like ace bandages.  Turning on the machine made it pump ice water thru the lines and circulate it thru the flexible patches and made significant progress in holding down the swelling, and therefor the pain.

I would buy a ten pound bag of ice at least once every two days, and more often in the beginning.  You filled up the ice to a line in the cooler and then added water up to the second line, and then plugged it in.  She used it as much as she could tolerate it.

She has been able to do everything she could before the replacements, and even better movement without pain.

One knee is somehow not as good as the other one now, but she can still get around much better than the five years before.  Its like one knee is a grade 'A' and the other is a grade 'C'.

She was not working then and also doesnt work now.

Bottomline, use the ice and do all the rehab work and you should be fine.

If you have already had the surgery, hope it worked out weel.

hth

Message 7 of 8
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Nope. Still waiting on surgery approval from TPA adjuster. Thanks for the info so far.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.