Did you mean: 

Totally irritating co-workers...

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Totally irritating co-workers...

@llecs wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
llecs - can you offer direct deposit of paychecks?

No. And we tried to sell that service, but with only a couple of takers, it wasn't cost-effecient enough to go forward with it. We are always trying to get them to focus on the financial future via insurance and 401(k)s but there's hardly any participation. The only popular thing our employess jump on is health insurance. At least they will be healthy.

I used to be anti-direct deposit, but then I realize that it is superior in every way. It completely eliminates having to go to the bank. Why would your employees dislike it?
Here we go again...
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FretlessMayhem wrote:
I used to be anti-direct deposit, but then I realize that it is superior in every way. It completely eliminates having to go to the bank. Why would your employees dislike it?

Now this was eons ago (circa early 90s), but I worked for a large government contracting firm and it took FOREVER for the company to adopt DD. Not because the CEO/board was against DD (though it does cost the company money to do it in fees and whatnot), but because of the employees!!

Most were ages 40-60 and were of the mindset that $$ on a paper check was worth more than some electronic data entry on someone's computer. They just didn't trust it. When asked, they said they had heard so many stories about internet theft and fraud that they just didn't want their information "traveling" over the internet.

(Our VP was so techno-illiterate that he once decided to globally cancel internet access and e-mail ... thinking that it was frivolous and unnecessary -- it was at the height of the whole "paperless government" thing and it shut down work for a week until the provider turned the service back on)

Finally, the "new blood" (20s-40s) chimed in and demanded DD. The company still offered paper checks to those who wanted them. And the rest is history.
Message 12 of 16
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@llecs wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
llecs - can you offer direct deposit of paychecks?

No. And we tried to sell that service, but with only a couple of takers, it wasn't cost-effecient enough to go forward with it. We are always trying to get them to focus on the financial future via insurance and 401(k)s but there's hardly any participation. The only popular thing our employess jump on is health insurance. At least they will be healthy.

Most of our employees fall within the service-realted industry so parking attendants, janitorial staff, landscapers, etc. Many of them immigrated from points South. There is a lack of trust with the banks. Where many of them are from, their govt. would freely seize money. I have heard of some horror stories too. So, our employees will cash the check and hold onto cash until the next payday.

Now all of our employees who have been with us 10 yrs or longer do have bank accounts, mortgages, etc. And I still don't know why they won't participate in a direct deposit program. Maybe it is due to the fact they can cash their paycheck and deposit cash vs. waiting for the DD to pop up. For example, our payroll company, Paychex, doesn't process DDs on the weekend. Maybe they didn't want that 1-2 day lag.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Between hubby and I we've had DD with about 6 different companies and each had the DD post on the same day, every time.

Meaning, if we were supposed to be paid, say, this Friday, at Friday 12:01 AM (or Thursday "night"), it would be in our account, each and every time!!

Usually that sort of thing is "plug and play" ... it's initiated within the payroll system almost as soon as the "time cards" are entered into the system. From there, it's automatic. That's why if there's any discrepancies or additional allotments to come out, you have X number of days before actual DD to make them.

In fact, once, hubby had an old employer DD an extra paycheck. He had JUST left his job (for a new one -- the one he has now) and they didn't update the system, so they gave him an "extra" paycheck. They took it back 3 days later -- but for those three days our bank account sure looked GREAT!! Smiley Happy

The only glitch I've ever heard of is the destination bank ... sometimes, especially if the account is new, it takes longer for the destination bank to process the deposit. But I've never heard of delays on the originating end.

At least, that's been our experience. :/
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

This in no way takes away from his irritating ways, but just to answer that final question you asked... Smiley Wink

I used to go & pick up DHs check so I could spend payday running errands & paying bills...when he worked in a corporate setting, before DD, I would either pick up the check or pick him up at lunch & head to the bank. 

He still shouldn't be crawlin up your backside at 9 a.m., though!

llecs wrote:
This almost makes me want to dig up Office Space or reruns from The Office.

Edit due to thought......why was he asking for the check so early. Surely none of our employees would leave their job to cash their paycheck, right?

Message Edited by llecs on 07-15-2008 05:35 PM

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does irritating myself count?  LOL

Seriously, though, DH has a co-worker who is CONSTANTLY bragging about his "toys" (house, cars, TVs, riding mowers, WOMEN, etc.)  They work out of the area, so they're gone for days-to-weeks at a time & this MARRIED guy is always on the cell phone with or texting one of his girlfriends in various states.  He, for no conceivable reason, takes out his wallet, removes the cash and counts it aloud while they're in the truck enroute to location and then brags about the "fact" that he never carries less than $1000 cash.  So many times, he has invited DH to speak to one of his girls on the phone, telling all the guys about his many indiscretions, etc.  A few months ago, he had the nerve to complain because his wife CLOCKED him in the jaw!  The guys he was whining to all LAUGHED at him & told him "it's ABOUT TIME!"

Yeah...he's irritating!  Oh ~ I almost forgot ~ he recently found himself in need of employment unexpectedly.

ObsessedwithmyFico wrote:

Competing for the best houses, the best cars...  Anybody else got co-workers like this? Just venting.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.