Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic school?

tag
Guava
Established Contributor

Traffic school?

Hai guys! Happy Thanksgiving!

So yesterday (wednesday), I got a traffic ticket -___-   I was going 70 on a 55mph freeway, and the cop stopped me, tried goodwill talk but no luck (despicable cop grrrrr).

My question is does paying fine and going to traffic school actually remove the ticket incidence from my record so my insurance company won't know about it? 

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Traffic school?

@Guava wrote:

Hai guys! Happy Thanksgiving!

So yesterday (wednesday), I got a traffic ticket -___-   I was going 70 on a 55mph freeway, and the cop stopped me, tried goodwill talk but no luck (despicable cop grrrrr).

My question is does paying fine and going to traffic school actually remove the ticket incidence from my record so my insurance company won't know about it? 

It might depend on state law. Here in Texas going to a class will keep the ticket from showing on your driving record.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 17
Booner72
Senior Contributor

In Oregon it does - if it's your first ticket in a certain period of time, and IF you don't get another ticket for 6 months or 12 months -  When you sign the court doc saying you will do the traffic school they will give you their rules.

I got a cell phone ticket last summer and was offered traffic school, but the ticket was 140 (After discount) and I didn't figure it was worth ALL DAY LONG on a Saturday to sit there, as the county I got the ticket in doesn't allow online traffic school.  So I paid it.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 17
Guava
Established Contributor

Thanks for the reply guys. Where do I go to find California law on this matter?

Message 4 of 17
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Guava wrote:

Thanks for the reply guys. Where do I go to find California law on this matter?

I typed in a search for "dismissing traffic tickets in california" and came up with quite a few hits. Some of those might be helpful to you.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 17
Guava
Established Contributor

Thanks MVV, reading homework for after thanksgiving, yeaaaaaa.....

Message 6 of 17
marty56
Super Contributor

In Texas, we also have a probation option where you pay a fine and then if you don't get another ticket in I think 90 days, it doesn't go on your record.  Check to see if your state has that option as well.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Many states now accept online traffic school courses as equivalent to classroom courses. I took one of these in FL, the law there keeps to points off your licenses when you complete traffic school.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizzadude wrote:
Many states now accept online traffic school courses as equivalent to classroom courses. I took one of these in FL, the law there keeps to points off your licenses when you complete traffic school.

How long is an online traffic school course? (as in hours)

Message 9 of 17
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

How long is an online traffic school course? (as in hours)

Here in Texas there is an approved list of online courses available. When my wife and I took our defensive driving courses for the insurance discount the time for the class was 8 hours I believe. But you don't have to sit the entire 8 hours at one time. You can spread it out.

But this is strictly my experience.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.