Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling out of the country with cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Traveling out of the country with cards

I will be traveling in April on a cruise. I plan on notifying Cap1 since I will be using my new QS for a majority of spending. I was planning to bring my other Cap1 card as a back-up, but I wondered if it was smart to not report that one in case it gets lost or stolen so it will be flagged if there are any purchases. On the other side, the whole idea of bringing a back-up is in case something happens to the QS in which case I would have to call while on vacation and get it authorized...... Maybe I am over thinking this, but I only travel out of the country every other year and have never thought about it much.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Traveling out of the country with cards

When I went out of town, Capital One told me it wasn't necessary to inform them of any travel plans. A bit strange, but no red flags were raised on my trip. 

Message 2 of 6
gibeon
Established Contributor

If your cruise is to a foreign countey, let Cap One know where you're going so they don't shut you down while you're having fun.

Put the CapOne Wallet App on your phone. You can lock each card individually with that app AND get a notification each time a charge is made. (Assuming the ship has WiFi.)

Have good trip!

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 3 of 6
eddie84
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I went out of town, Capital One told me it wasn't necessary to inform them of any travel plans. A bit strange, but no red flags were raised on my trip. 

Same as Amex.  No need to tell them beforehand.  That's what I was told anyway. Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always travel and have never had to inform anyone with...

I always travel and have never had to inform anyone with exception to BofA because they will cut the card off. I also found out the hard way that BofA charges 3% on all international transactions if I use my debit card. Cap 1 doesn give a S&^%.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I always travel and have never had to inform anyone with...

I'd be paranoid about it lol, so I would probably call and let them know jic so they can notate the account. It doesn't hurt to call and be prepared, even if they do say you don't need to.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.