Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Sleeping?

tag
southernficoaddict
Frequent Contributor

Re: Trouble Sleeping?

Theres only so much spider solitare you can play in one night.

I'll be the only one in the lab so there's not really anyone to talk to, makes for a long night sometimes.

Message Edited by southernficoaddict on 07-28-2008 09:04 PM
Message 11 of 28
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I know. I hate it when I am sleepy and tired and the night is sooo slow. I only work 8 hours now but it creeps by sometimes. Always trying to find something to do to keep me busy. I love to read but can not do that when I am sleepy. And I work with 1 - 4 other people, depending on the night.
Message 12 of 28
southernficoaddict
Frequent Contributor

I know all about the clock not moving.  About 3 am I can start doing quality control on the analyzers and machines and restarting them for the day, but up until then it can just drag.  I cant really wish that I would get busy, because that usually means something bad for somebody else (patients).  But it's never just steady at night, it's usually 4 ambulances at one time, and then nothing for 8 hours.  I may have to resubscribe to netflix.
Message 13 of 28
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Reading always makes me sleepy.  Classical music turned on really low is great for giving your won't-stop brain something to focus and then drift away on.

Make sure your calcium and magnesium intakes are good and healthy - magnesium aids in muscle relaxation, so I always take my magnesium at night, and I now find that if I forget to take it, I don't sleep as well. 

Take your calcium (which also factors into that, though less so, and in mood regulation) in the mornings, as it cancels out magnesium if taken together.  Also, I've found that I started sleeping better when I started taking fish oil/Omega 3 supplements - and if I take 2 at night, I find I sleep extra soundly.  They say fish is 'brain food', so maybe it helps the brain somehow with regard to sleep and might be worth a run up the flagpole for you, too.

I also found that cutting caffeine out except for my morning tea made a huge difference in my sleep.  Try to quit taking caffeine into your system at least 8 hours before you want to be sleeping, as it can take that long for it to work out of your body.

Controlled breathing works for some - breathe in on a slow count of five, hold for slow count of five, exhale slowly over a slow count of five, hold for slow count of five, repeat.  Focus only on your breathing and your counting.  If you start to think of other stuff, just bring your focus back to your breathing and counting.

Some people get good results from melatonin (I've never tried it).

Good luck.  Insomnia bites.  Smiley Sad

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 14 of 28
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Sometimes I can't fall asleep other times I can't stay asleep. UGH! What has helped in the past is a technique learned in a Lamaze class (many moons ago) Tensing then relaxing your muscles slowly starting at the feet and working up to your head. Usually if I can't get back to sleep in 30 minutes I just get up and start working around the house.
I hate watching the clock...............slowly...............ticking............away. 
Message 15 of 28
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Timothy wrote:
Shower/bath/swim, hydration, physical activity

Ditto. I like to go to the gym around 10pm to workout for an hour or so.

Also, since I can remember, my mind tends to race right around 12am to 1am. Instead of fighting it, I read or do something productive.

And if I sleep more than 5 or 6 hours in a night, then I have trouble sleeping the following night. There are studies out there that say that people who sleep less than 6 hours or less per night no only are more rested, but they live longer, are more healthier, and are more wealthy.
Message 16 of 28
southernficoaddict
Frequent Contributor

I should be really rich and live to be 150.  Did they say how long before that kicks in?
Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I find a purring kitty to be an excellent sleep aid.  I'd imagine a dog would work as well, but the purr is nice...  Some soft warm furry companion that you can hug, who just oozes total relaxation...

Another thing I find helps is having a ceiling fan, air filter, or other soft constant white noise going.  It drowns out or makes less noticable the little intermittent noises (the clock, the air conditioner cycling, the drip... dripdrip.... plunk of rain dripping off the trees) that can really be loud and stressful when you're trying to sleep but can't...

-MsMS
Message 18 of 28
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

southernficoaddict wrote:
I should be really rich and live to be 150.  Did they say how long before that kicks in?

Smiley Very Happy

Just in case I am called out on it, here's a couple studies:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/newsandevents/pressreleases/researchers_say_lack/

However, for ever one I find, I am sure someone can find two more studies that show that 8 hours is necessary.

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had some trouble sleeping myself.  Usually falling asleep. I take melatonin every night and it really works good.  On nights that I have a lot of trouble falling asleep I will take two.  I am going to try the magnesium to. 
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.