cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbo tax. Is it REALLY going to take that long for my refund??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turbo tax. Is it REALLY going to take that long for my refund??

I used turbo tax last year and dont rememeber how long it took to get my refund. I understand that the disclaimer says "get your refund in as little as 8 days"

My return was accepted by the irs on January 23rd which means my refund wont be sent via direct deposit untill Feb 5 (according to the irs cycle chart).

I went to the irs website and used the Where's my refund function just to check the status and it even said that I should have my refund by Feb 9th.

That's 17 days. I just don't remember it taking that long when I've used it in the past.

If it makes a difference the return was accepted 3:50 am.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Turbo tax. Is it REALLY going to take that long for my refund??

It wasn't too long ago that refunds took several months to show up in the mailbox! You'd give it at least a few weeks after mailing in your return before you'd start checking the mailbox every day (sometimes twice a day, just in case the mailman messed up and later came back with it...wishful thinking), hoping to see that check from Treasury...until finally, the magic moment when that check was actually there!

Then you'd suddenly realize it was Saturday, and all the banks were closed. No matter, though. All the stores closed up tight at 5 PM, and didn't reopen until Monday, so shopping with that tax money had to wait anyways.

Wow. We get used to faster and faster for everything pretty quickly, don't we?

Message 2 of 29
Guardian
Valued Contributor

It is very possible as I have often been an early filer and I get my refunds very quickly, one time within 6 days. So it is very realistic if you are filing this early that you will get it that fast. Hope that helps from someone who has been using TurboTax for almost 10 years, if not more. To add, this is especially so if you are doing direct deposit which is what I do.
Message Edited by Guardian on 01-26-2010 03:08 PM

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed on the 15th and got mine back today.  I used turbotax.  I also did the direct deposit.  Not too shabby.
Message Edited by anevilpetingzoo on 01-26-2010 04:21 PM
Message 4 of 29
demi
Established Contributor

Just curious....for those of you who have already filed...do you actually have your W-2's?  Or are you using your last payment stub or something?  It would take a miracle for me to get mine before January 31...always, always seem to be mailed on the last possible date.  I have already done my taxes in Turbo tax, but waiting.....

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 29
DI
Super Contributor

Mines was filed on the 15th.  Refund sitting in que and will DD on 1/29. 
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my W2 on the 14th.  My employer doesn't mail them, they just pass them out at the front door!
Message 7 of 29
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I got my W2 on the 14th.  My employer doesn't mail them, they just pass them out at the front door!

That's better than mailing to save money to avoid laying off employees.  Great call for your employer!

Message 8 of 29
Guardian
Valued Contributor

For me they use ADP and they provide the w2 electronically in PDF format to download off their server and so it cuts down transit and prep time because you get it the moment they have it and not have to wait until you get it in the mail over a month or so later. That's for me and I get my financial institution 1099s electronically too, so I have everything I need, especially that I e-file, so no paper at all unless some small things they send out these obligatory notices that say $0 which is ridiculous waste but since it doesn't affect anything I don't care that I didn't wait for it.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 9 of 29
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@demi wrote:
Just curious....for those of you who have already filed...do you actually have your W-2's?  Or are you using your last payment stub or something?  It would take a miracle for me to get mine before January 31...always, always seem to be mailed on the last possible date.  I have already done my taxes in Turbo tax, but waiting.....

I am still waiting for mine.....

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.