Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTax?

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: TurboTax?

@Junejer wrote:
That 15.3% SE tax is probably the biggest surprise that one can have when you first become self-employed. Schedule C=ouch.

Yep, my wife was a freelance writer and editor for a number of years so we're very familiar with self-employment taxes.  Federal Express has a major battle going on right now with the IRS because they classify their drivers as contractors.

I've used TaxCut for some years, mostly because by now I am very familiar with it. My parents have always used a tax preparation service.

As for a certain prominent financial bigshot and his using the software as an excuse, I quote Nero Wolfe: pfui!  Program or no program, I know all our income has to appear somewhere in the total.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 11 of 18
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I remember when I had my first "side" business and actually made some money at it. I happily went to file my taxes and the SE tax hit me right between the eyeballs. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I wanted to scream.

That was in 1994 and I was using TaxCut, as I am to this day.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 18
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

I entered all our personal info into TurboTax last night and its showing about $1600 back from federal and state. I'm on pins and needles waiting for the 1099 for DH so that I can figure out how the 2nd job will work out. His route is over 100 miles a night so he'll be able to write off lots of mileage. Don't crush my hope yet! We bought furniture last Spring on a 12 mos. no interest, no payments and we need this refund to pay it off before it retroacts.

(Thankfully we don't live in CA anymore - we might be getting an IOU if that were the case!)

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 13 of 18
marty56
Super Contributor

I forgot to add that I am a Federal employee who knows how to use it.  Rare these days from recent news.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 14 of 18
preci0uz
Regular Contributor

Chase cardholders get a discount for Turbo Tax and also NFCU members.

https://www.officialpayments.com/promotions/turbotax/chase/chase.asp?page=turbotaxchase.jsp

Message 15 of 18
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

@Math_Rocks wrote:
Not that I really believe that TurboTax is in any way involved in Geithner's not correctly paying his taxes, I would like to hear what you think of the software. Because of our situation, we've used a taxpreparer the last several years. Before then, I used to do them for us. Our bank (Regions), is offering 20% off TurboTax products and I'm considering using it. Opinions and experiences are welcome!

Add Regions to the list.

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 16 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

USAA gives 25% off TurboTax Online.

I suppose I'll use the online version again, if they can find my return from last year... Otherwise, it's back to the CD. But definitely TurboTax.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 18
demi
Established Contributor

Costco also has it on sale.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.