Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTax?

tag
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

TurboTax?

Not that I really believe that TurboTax is in any way involved in Geithner's not correctly paying his taxes, I would like to hear what you think of the software. Because of our situation, we've used a taxpreparer the last several years. Before then, I used to do them for us. Our bank (Regions), is offering 20% off TurboTax products and I'm considering using it. Opinions and experiences are welcome!
Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: TurboTax?

I love TurboTax! That being said, I used the disk version for the first several years, and then I used the online version last year. I don't seem to be able to access the online version of last year's taxes, which has me pretty upset.

All in all, there's something to be said for having the whole thing on your computer.

But TurboTax, in and of itself, is a great product. I liked it a lot better than TaxCut.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 18
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

TurboTax = Easy & Simple
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used turbo tax for about 4 years and I really like it.   I have used both the online and the cd.  Can't recommend one over the other.   I do like that I can acess my prior year taxes online without having to go digging through boxes.Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 18
marty56
Super Contributor

I have used Turbo Tax online to do my taxes for the last  few years and its great!

If I was Turbo Tax, I would sue Geithner for slander or at least add a Geithner wizard on it to remind you to pay SS taxes.

I hope no one is stupid enough to offer Geithner  a job working with money and taxes.Smiley Wink

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 18
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

I have used Turbo Tax online to do my taxes for the last  few years and its great!

If I was Turbo Tax, I would sue Geithner for slander or at least add a Geithner wizard on it to remind you to pay SS taxes.

I hope no one is stupid enough to offer Geithner  a job working with money and taxes.Smiley Wink

No, he just gets to be our new treasury secretary! Smiley Surprised

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 6 of 18
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
I love TurboTax! That being said, I used the disk version for the first several years, and then I used the online version last year. I don't seem to be able to access the online version of last year's taxes, which has me pretty upset.

All in all, there's something to be said for having the whole thing on your computer.

But TurboTax, in and of itself, is a great product. I liked it a lot better than TaxCut.

HTSU,

Thanks for responding! I only get to be on the forums on the weekend now and I posted that before reading a similar question from another poster. I kind of have you up on a pedestal so getting a response from HTSU herself makes me feel really special! Smiley Tongue

I think the 20% off is just for the online version so that's what I'm considering trying. DH delivers a paper route as an "independent contractor". I'm hoping he gets a 1099 because I'm a little worried about the whole self-employed thing.

I'm getting anxious for all the W-2's and such to get here!

Message 7 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Sorry we've lost you during the week, but I'm glad we've got you, period.

Is your DH braced for having to pay his own social security as well? And at double the rate everyone else pays, since he's not being matched by an employer. Smiley Sad

My husband brings in a bit of self-employment income every now and then, and I swear it's more trouble than it's worth.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 18
fused
Moderator Emeritus

My DW and I have been using Turbo Tax on disc for a long time. It's pretty easy to use and well worth the price.
Message 9 of 18
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

That 15.3% SE tax is probably the biggest surprise that one can have when you first become self-employed. Schedule C=ouch.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.