cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE Delivering mail to a customber with GREAT cards except...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE Delivering mail to a customber with GREAT cards except...

Couple days ago, the house I was about to deliver mail I came across a "Welcome to CreditOne" envelope with a card in it (a 20+ year mailman can tell if a card is inside or not).

So? you might say. True, except I've seen this person's statement mailings for the last few years (this person is single, works in a medical field with good pay). I've seen this person having several Amex statements, Chase, Citi, local CU, etc... and all of sudden this person gets one of the worst card!?!?!?

Legally, I can't ask this person as it is invision of privacy but I do hope nothing is going on. It just struck me as odd. What do y'all think? I have not seen any collection letters or whatnots. Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Delivering mail to a customber with GREAT cards except...

Are you sure it wasn't a fake card in that envelope? "Welcome to Credit One" does sound like more than a solicitation, I agree, but we've had lots of reports of people with great credit still getting offers from CO. I have no personal experience with CO (thank God!), but I've seen fake cards included with a lot of junk mail. Oh boy, you mailpeople do get a lot of glimpses into people's lives!
Message 2 of 10
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Or maybe it's another surprise for somebody who thought s/he was apping for CAPITAL One, not CREDIT One?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, never really considered how much my mailman might know about my personal life...I'll be watching you....😉
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Embarassed  my poor mail(wo)man

THAT'S WHY SHE LOOKS AT ME LIKE THAT.

The credit one crap prequals I get never say Welcome on them. *shrugs* they do send cardboard faux cards to show "what your next card will look like!"

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE Re: Delivering mail to a customber with GREAT cards except...

So I found out the reason behind this. This guy talked to me about getting PO Box and how much they cost. He said his ex girlfriend stole some of his mail as well as apping credit to his name in hopes she would also steal his card(s) to wreak his PERFECT credit as a revenge of some sort.

Lucky for him he got CreditOne card instead of his ex and immediately called CreditOne to cancel it. He also placed Freeze on his credit reports. I gave him number to Postal Inspectors and suggested that he file police report.

We chatted little bit. Nice guy, he works in medical field.

Since I'm a mailman with 20+ years of experience and unfortunately it comes with unintended knowledge of customer's lives (work, kids, family, credit, etc...) I don't judge them at all since it happens to me too. Cheers!

Message 6 of 10
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: UPDATE Re: Delivering mail to a customber with GREAT cards except...

@Anonymous wrote:

So I found out the reason behind this. This guy talked to me about getting PO Box and how much they cost. He said his ex girlfriend stole some of his mail as well as apping credit to his name in hopes she would also steal his card(s) to wreak his PERFECT credit as a revenge of some sort.

Lucky for him he got CreditOne card instead of his ex and immediately called CreditOne to cancel it. He also placed Freeze on his credit reports. I gave him number to Postal Inspectors and suggested that he file police report.

We chatted little bit. Nice guy, he works in medical field.

Since I'm a mailman with 20+ years of experience and unfortunately it comes with unintended knowledge of customer's lives (work, kids, family, credit, etc...) I don't judge them at all since it happens to me too. Cheers!

Thanks for the update. I have actually been curious about this since your original post. I never stopped to think about how much my postal carrier knows about me. 

On an unrelated note, I do have a question for you. Traditionally, I like to tip my postal carrier around Christmas but I never know what is appropriate. In your opinion, what would be a nice (and realistic) gift? Gift card for XX amount? I was thinking about cash this coming year or either a gift card for a massage or to a shoe store (I can't imagine how much walking is involved). 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@azguy13 wrote:

Thanks for the update. I have actually been curious about this since your original post. I never stopped to think about how much my postal carrier knows about me. 

On an unrelated note, I do have a question for you. Traditionally, I like to tip my postal carrier around Christmas but I never know what is appropriate. In your opinion, what would be a nice (and realistic) gift? Gift card for XX amount? I was thinking about cash this coming year or either a gift card for a massage or to a shoe store (I can't imagine how much walking is involved). 

Hi azguy13,

If your carrier does a good job delivering for you (never mind when he's off or on vacation, no one else would be as good as your regular carrier) and it's UP to you if you like to tip him/her. Gift cards are good such as Starbucks (or local coffee shops), fast food or Target. The amount is entirely up to you but I do get cash or gift cards that are $10, $20, $25 and sometimes $50 but most average is $20.

Don't get your carrier gift card to shoe store since he gets his/her shoes from authorized postal vendors with uniform allowance. I walk almost 7 miles daily Smiley Happy

Cheers!

Message 8 of 10
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the update, CAMailman! I was also curious.

Now I'm curious about how you and your customer came to talk about this. I know you weren't planning to raise the question with him, but I'm glad you and he discussed it -- and I'm glad he caught what his ex was trying to do!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gunnar419 wrote:

Thanks for the update, CAMailman! I was also curious.

Now I'm curious about how you and your customer came to talk about this. I know you weren't planning to raise the question with him, but I'm glad you and he discussed it -- and I'm glad he caught what his ex was trying to do!

Gunnar419,

Like I said in my "Update" above. He was asking about PO Box rate then one thing lead to another.

I don't start the conversation about THEIR issues of any kind but almost always they start to ask me some questions which lead them to tell me little more (sometimes way too much information that I really don't need to hear but all I can do is listen and try to help as much as I can) Smiley Wink

I've had women tell me not to deliver her ex BF or husband) because he cheated on her and some wanted me to BURN or throw away their mail LOL! I can't do that! (I can hold his mail for ten days pending he fills out his own Change-Of-Address, once 10 days passed, all I can do is mark them return to senders).

Don't get me started with "Hey mailman! Where's my million dollar check?" Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.