cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbearable Pain. Parents closed their 1958 Sears account in July. I had no idea they had it.

tag
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Unbearable Pain. Parents closed their 1958 Sears account in July. I had no idea they had it.

Dad died about a year ago and I just sold mom's house and moved her into assisted living.  (This is not the pain I'm talking about)

The unbearable pain part was this.   As part of dealing with mom's finances (power of attorney) I pulled her credit from credit check total.   Looking over the accounts I see a Sears card with an open date of 1958.   And then I see it was closed in 7/2017.     A 1958 credit card.   An easy AU add.   I'm so depressed.  

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unbearable Pain. Parents closed their 1958 Sears account in July. I had no idea they had it

Ouch. I have never seen anyone with a card that old. Oh well. Nothing is forever..
Message 2 of 22
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Unbearable Pain. Parents closed their 1958 Sears account in July. I had no idea they had it

My grandmother had Diners, Amex and B of A cards that she opened in the early 60's. I'd LOVE to have been an AU on those!  She also had the small sized Sears, Montgomery Ward, May Co. cards. 

Message 3 of 22
marty56
Super Contributor

I feel your pain.  I lost my oldest CC a year ago when it finally fell off my CR having been closed by being in a DMP.  I hope it is CC heaven having a grand old time with mine.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Only Credit One will live for eternalSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 22
Joecooltech
Regular Contributor

Wow that’s painful just too read
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh wow, an almost 60 year old account! It doesn't look like Sears will be around much longer anyway though. 

This is a good example as to why people should try to hang on to one of their oldest cards; credit age is sexy! 

Message 7 of 22
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

My father still has the same checking account that he opened in 1950.  It was originally with First and Merchants Bank of Virginia but has been inherited by Bank of America through a series of mergers and acquisitions.  He also has had the same auto insurance policy with Geico since 1949 or 1950.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 8 of 22
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

I really do not mean to offend the OP or come across as flippant, but you have lost your father, your mother is forced into assisted living, and you are posting in a public forum that you are upset that you can't sponge off their old tradeline?

My apologies if my rhetorical question seems out of line and I don't know or need to know your family dynamics, but this post seems a bit jaded.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RicHowe wrote:

I really do not mean to offend the OP or come across as flippant, but you have lost your father, your mother is forced into assisted living, and you are posting in a public forum that you are upset that you can't sponge off their old tradeline?

My apologies if my rhetorical question seems out of line and I don't know or need to know your family dynamics, but this post seems a bit jaded.

We all have different coping mechanisms...

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.