Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility Company Credit check/score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utility Company Credit check/score

I recently applied for credit from a local gas company. They ran a "soft" credit check and came back with a rejection that was due to "medical collections" amoung other stated past due or unpaid obligations. They also listed a Credit Score about 300 points below what I thought mine was. I requested a credit report from the listed company and found NO issues as reported and my score where I expected it to be. I since heard that they look at some "other" score and info for these utility company specific inquirys. I can find no way to access these files, get through the credit reporting companys phone system to speak to a real person, or correct an apparent error. I do not have ANY "medical collections accounts" that I am aware of or have been able to find.

What can I do? Anyone out there know anything about these kinds of "separate'" credit reports and how to correct them?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Utility Company Credit check/score

If you were denied credit, they must furnish you with where they obtained their information from and you are entitled to a free pull of that report.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats the point! I did request and recieve my credit report and score. It came back with the expected higher score and NO mention of medical bills in collections. There is apparently some OTHER kind of report that Utilities (and some others) are sent complete with a different score. I found info on it once on the internet but cannot locate it now. I also cannot find ANY WAY to get past the credit reporting companys automated phone system to speak to a live representative.

Message 3 of 7
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

I never give utilities, phone, etc. my SS# for credit checks.  I just pay the deposit and get it back after a few months...sometimes a year.  They always say they can't do it, but they can.  You just need to be pushy.

Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It doesn't come from the CRAs.  It comes from National Consumer Telecom and Utilities Exchange, which is run by EQ.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The thing that really concerns me here is that the credit reporting company either is reporting debts that are not mine or that I have never been aware of. There seems to be NO WAY to find out the source of the dataor correct the info as I cannot get past the automated phone system to speak with a representative (the company is Experian) . It seems that this should not be an allowable reporting practice.

Message 6 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.