Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valentine's Day vs Debt

tag
ficonian
Valued Member

Valentine's Day vs Debt

With Valentine's DayHeart nearly upon us...

Would you obtain more debt,  to buy him or her THAT Valentine gift?

Safe for me to say, no. THAT gift would be on our wish list. Light bulb moment...that's probably why I'm single. Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Valentine's Day vs Debt

NO!
Message 2 of 21
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

The gift of love is priceless so how can I go into debt

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 3 of 21
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

NO.  Being together should be enough. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 4 of 21
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Absolutely NO.   (Says the person who took out a $XX,XXX loan for a Christmas gift.  <-- It didn't sound quite that insane at the time, but when I type it, I am horrified.  Smiley Embarassed.).

Message 5 of 21
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Nope. I'd also be nervous if somebody went into debt to buy a gift for ME.

I'd say if you really want to do something special, then make it something like fixing a meal, planning quality time together, doing extra house or yardwork for them, make something for them, things like that. If THE special gift is expensive, then either save for it or question why you need to go into debt to please somebody.

Message 6 of 21
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:

Absolutely NO.   (Says the person who took out a $XX,XXX loan for a Christmas gift.  <-- It didn't sound quite that insane at the time, but when I type it, I am horrified.  Smiley Embarassed.).

Holy bleep! That's definitely scary. Impressive, but scary.

Message 7 of 21
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@ficonian wrote:

With Valentine's DayHeart nearly upon us...

Would you obtain more debt,  to buy him or her THAT Valentine gift?

Safe for me to say, no. THAT gift would be on our wish list. Light bulb moment...that's probably why I'm single. Smiley Surprised

Well, my ex broke up with me 2 months ago so I won't be spending any money this Valentines day haha.. But she also left me in debt (I spent a ton of money on her)..

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Define debt. Ill buy her something nice, and pay off the bill later that month. But no, nothing Im gonna be paying on for months. Damn it. Looks like gas station donuts since discover 5 percent is gas stations this quarter. 

Thank god she loves donuts.Smiley LOL

By the way, best girl i ever dated (should probably have married honestly) she and i decided to celebrate valentines day in march. First year we were together, i had to work the whole v day weekend. She asked if i cared if she went away with her best friend. We picked a weekend in march, had an awesome weekend. Got deals on everything, restaurants were empty, had a nice cottage in wisconsin for like 40 bucks a night. Roses cost me 39 dollars instead of 100, and we had the whole resort to ourselves. None of the being packed into a busy restaurant with a bunch of people who were spending too much money and trying way too hard.

priceless. after that year we did the same thing every year for the 4 we were together. I would make dinner on real v deay, and we had our own secret valentines day when it worked better for us. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 21
ficonian
Valued Member

Basically, the state of owing. You rightfully, paid your debt off each month.  You sure know how to romance. Dine on a Dime. I'm good with that.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.